• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: Nats Wake Up, Indians Win, But I'm A White Sox Fan

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if that's the litmus test, the Red Sox might be pretty close to removing their rotation from the rotation at some point here.

Sad, but true. I think Kelly could be a nasty reliever, but I haven't heard it discussed at all. Buchholz probably needs to go first, though. They have a couple lefties in the minors that have been great, so far. One of them is going to get a shot really soon.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even in the movies there are no black kids playing baseball...

Sandlot 2, there's the one black kid who has about 3 lines, one of which is "Solid!"

The only other black person in the entire movie is James Earl Jones. Combined, they are both on the screen for less than 10 minutes and most of that was JEJ's part.

At the end, when the narrator is saying what became of each of the kids in the future, they get to the black kid and he says, "He was abducted by aliens and no one ever saw him again."

WTF? You couldn't make him president or anything? Ya had carte blanche to write this kid a future, and that's the best you could come up with?

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandlot 2, there's the one black kid who has about 3 lines, one of which is "Solid!"

The only other black person in the entire movie is James Earl Jones. Combined, they are both on the screen for less than 10 minutes and most of that was JEJ's part.

At the end, when the narrator is saying what became of each of the kids in the future, they get to the black kid and he says, "He was abducted by aliens and no one ever saw him again."

WTF? You couldn't make him president or anything? Ya had carte blanche to write this kid a future, and that's the best you could come up with?

I guess that's better than "he ran from the cops and had his spine severed". No?

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Phil Plaintier sighting. I remember thinking with him on the Sox and Buhner on the Yankees we would have some good HR chases.

Supposedly Phil hurt his elbow after his incredible 200AB start with the Bosox and it never really healed...at least that was his excuse. Best known for the stance and getting in a fight with Bonds during BP.
Like Adam Sandlah, a proud product of Manchestah New Hamstah.
Buhner was lucky to get out of Yankee, I think that park would have killed his power.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I thought Plantier was going to be a star, for sure. I was bummed when they traded him. I think he's the Padres hitting coach now?

Bill James went out on a limb and wrote that Plantier was his best guess to be the top hitter of the '90s at the start of the decade. Can't predict injuries, assuming that's what really happened to him.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"What the hell didja trade Jay Buhner for?!?"

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Phil hurt his elbow after his incredible 200AB start with the Bosox and it never really healed...at least that was his excuse. Best known for the stance and getting in a fight with Bonds during BP.
Like Adam Sandlah, a proud product of Manchestah New Hamstah.
Buhner was lucky to get out of Yankee, I think that park would have killed his power.

The stadium has a way of killing right handed power. Buhner had opposite field power which is good in the stadium.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stadium has a way of killing right handed power. Buhner had opposite field power which is good in the stadium.

I think you're on to something....he slugged .623 in Yankee, 19 HRs in 207 AB.

garthwayne.png
I'M NOT WORTHY!!!

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill James went out on a limb and wrote that Plantier was his best guess to be the top hitter of the '90s at the start of the decade. Can't predict injuries, assuming that's what really happened to him.

No joke. In 1993ish, I thought Plantier was going to be a bigger loss than Bagwell was. Plantier looked THAT good. Mo Vaughn looked to be the 3rd best of that group.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you Wikipedia:

Plantier was named hitting coach of the San Diego Padres on October 31, 2011. He held that position until 2014, when he was replaced by Mark Kotsay.

Also, Plantier holds the MLB record for most career home runs by a player born in New Hampshire!