• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MSU Counterpoint

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said "If Spartans end season 12-1 they should be considered for the BCS title game...why not us?".

Good point he has and Oklahoma State has the very same argument. What is sad is that we don't have a playoff in place.

Of course the reason we don't have a playoff in place is because Jim Delany fought it for so many years and convinced the PAC (in fact the SEC and ACC are the only two conferences that have supported a play off from the beginning) to back him because they didn't want to lose the Rose Bowl. Now two years later and no one really gives a crap about Rose Bowl or tradition what they want is the crystal ball.

I knew this would happen and we are going to have problems next year because lets say the top 4 teams win out then you have Auburn and Alabama in the playoff and that type of thing is going to send everyone over the edge.

3 years max and we have a format change again if not before.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said "If Spartans end season 12-1 they should be considered for the BCS title game...why not us?".

Good point he has and Oklahoma State has the very same argument. What is sad is that we don't have a playoff in place.

Of course the reason we don't have a playoff in place is because Jim Delany fought it for so many years and convinced the PAC (in fact the SEC and ACC are the only two conferences that have supported a play off from the beginning) to back him because they didn't want to lose the Rose Bowl. Now two years later and no one really gives a crap about Rose Bowl or tradition what they want is the crystal ball.

I knew this would happen and we are going to have problems next year because lets say the top 4 teams win out then you have Auburn and Alabama in the playoff and that type of thing is going to send everyone over the edge.

Might take more than 3 years, but eventually will expand to more teams, maybe 8. What will happen is the 5th and 6th place teams will end up having the same record as 3rd and 4th place teams, and there will be bickering over SOS or something else. So they will add another two teams, maybe four.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't actually know if Alabama would be in the playoffs. It's not the top 4 that go to the playoffs. I would assume if there is a 12-1 and a 11-1 B1G and Big12 champions, they would probably get in over a 11-1 Alabama that didn't win their conference. So it would be FSU, SECC, MSU and OkSU.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't actually know if Alabama would be in the playoffs. It's not the top 4 that go to the playoffs. I would assume if there is a 12-1 and a 11-1 B1G and Big12 champions, they would probably get in over a 11-1 Alabama that didn't win their conference. So it would be FSU, SECC, MSU and OkSU.
It's not conference champs and Alabama would be in. The fact is they would be the only one on the bd right now guaranteed a spot (that's how screwed up this is).

If FSU or OSU loses they could get jumped by MSU or OSU in the polls.
Auburn and Missouri would have to win to get in.

But Alabama would moon walk right on over.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another crazy point if Auburn lost on Saturday to Alabama they would have been in the Sugar Bowl as long as Alabama beat Missouri. Now they have beaten Alabama but if they lose to Missouri (same record) no BCS bowl for Auburn.

Its nuts but at least we have a shot at one if not two rings and at the end of the day that is why you play these games now for BS BSC trophies.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4gifstumblr2_zps65804103.gif

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not conference champs and Alabama would be in. The fact is they would be the only one on the bd right now guaranteed a spot (that's how screwed up this is).

If FSU or OSU loses they could get jumped by MSU or OSU in the polls.
Auburn and Missouri would have to win to get in.

But Alabama would moon walk right on over.

I see it different, but you could be right. I guess if Auburn does win, then Alabama would get in over OkSU or MSU. I just wish it wasn't that way.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, people will soon forget the plus one is intended to aid getting the best TWO teams in, not nec the best four.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another crazy point if Auburn lost on Saturday to Alabama they would have been in the Sugar Bowl as long as Alabama beat Missouri. Now they have beaten Alabama but if they lose to Missouri (same record) no BCS bowl for Auburn.

Its nuts but at least we have a shot at one if not two rings and at the end of the day that is why you play these games now for BS BSC trophies.

See Michigan State in 2011, Georgia in 2012 and 2011. This is actually a very common occurance. More times than not a team that lose their CCG does not go to a BCS bowl.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 10 has always fought to prevent having #1 vs #2 in the championship.

It goes all the way back to the Bowl Alliance and Bowl Coalitions of 1994 and 1997.

If they had gone along then in 1994 we could have seen undefeated's Penn St vs Nebraska, and in 1997 we could have seen undefeated's Michigan vs Nebraska.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See Michigan State in 2011, Georgia in 2012 and 2011. This is actually a very common occurance. More times than not a team that lose their CCG does not go to a BCS bowl.
Actually happens most of the time still weird though because if you son't get in you might actually do better.

Remember a couple of years ago UCLA had to get an exemption for the NCAA to play in a bowl because they were 6-6 going into the PAC Championship game without the exemption they would have lost bowl eligibility and that is a horrible penalty.

Bowl practice is huge for player development its almost like another spring training for the players to not go bowling is a huge disadvantage for teams going into the next year.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same thing happened last year with Georgia. Georgia got left out of BCS Bowl because they lost to Alabama in SECCG. Florida got the BCS bid over Georgia cause Georgia lost the extra game they had to play against Alabama because they beat Florida. I don't think it would be right to Auburn to be left out of BCS and Alabama to play in a BCS game if Auburn loses this weekend. Auburn beat Bama fair and square.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing happened last year with Georgia. Georgia got left out of BCS Bowl because they lost to Alabama in SECCG. Florida got the BCS bid over Georgia cause Georgia lost the extra game they had to play against Alabama because they beat Florida. I don't think it would be right to Auburn to be left out of BCS and Alabama to play in a BCS game if Auburn loses this weekend. Auburn beat Bama fair and square.

Again, in 2011 Michigan State beat Michigan, pretty soundly. Michigan State loses in the CCG (fargin floppin punter). Michigan becomes one of the lowest ranked at-large teams ever selected for a BCS bowl game. Michigan State then gets passed up by Nebraska for the Capital One bowl game by Nebraska despite MSU having a better record. Shit is f'd up when you aren't a big name.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dantonio's been off more than on the national radar forever (somewhat surprising, considering what he's accomplished)...isn't known for fiery pressers - rarely cops slobbery attention from the media...frowns a lot...had a heart attack a while back - doesn't worry the small details (ie: everything everybody outside the program says/thinks about him and his program)...likes to gamble...and concentrates on the task-at-hand - which would be outscoring Ohio State on Saturday.

Beyond that happy, unlikely, outcome? Fuck yes, let's talk NCG!

go green

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Georgia had played Louisville last year Florida completely embarrassed the conference.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dantonio's been off more than on the national radar forever (somewhat surprising, considering what he's accomplished)...isn't known for fiery pressers - rarely cops slobbery attention from the media...frowns a lot...had a heart attack a while back - doesn't worry the small details (ie: everything everybody outside the program says/thinks about him and his program)...likes to gamble...and concentrates on the task-at-hand - which would be outscoring Ohio State on Saturday.

Beyond that happy, unlikely, outcome? Fuck yes, let's talk NCG!

go green
:suds:

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Georgia had played Louisville last year Florida completely embarrassed the conference.

Yep they were embarrassing and to think had Notre Dame lost to USC last year they would have played for the national championship :laugh3:

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My solution:

4 20 team super conferences (2 divisions of 10 teams each).
Schedule consists of 9 games from your division plus 3 games from the other 3 conferences.

No more pastries for you!

To be in the 8 team tournament, you have to win your division.
Square off in seeded fashion against the other 7 division winners (1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, etc).
The four traditional major bowls host the 4 games.
Highest bidders get the semi-finals and finals.

They will be weighing the cash instead of counting it.

Every year, teams who aren't competitive can be relegated and other teams promoted.

Problem solved.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
um, i understand d'antonio taking up for his program but he is flat out wrong if he thinks michigan state deserves a shot at the title over a 1 loss auburn team (assuming they beat missouri). auburn lost 1 game to a ranked opponent and would have 4 wins over ranked opponents (2 in the top 10). michigan state would have 1 win over a ranked opponent (top 10) and a loss to an unranked opponent.

even in a down big 10, michigan state had a particularly easy conference schedule by not playing wisconsin or ohio state.