• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's Vs Tigers; June 19th - 22nd

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen Zunino go on streaks, but this is something I think we expected when he was drafted but never sniffed. He is playing out of his mind!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question is if he is building up enough confidence to not fall into the same holes he can't climb out of when his current hot streak goes cold. You would certainly think this is different from some of his past more short term or less impacting streaks. The fact that something has clicked and is working should help him find the confidence to do it again when things stop coming so easily.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is a lot more mental than people realize. It was explored briefly in Michael Lewis's discussion in Moneyball of Billy Beane unable to put it together at the majors. I think Zunino will always be prone to streaks like this.

As optimistic as I want to be about Zunino, his K rate is still absolutely abysmal and that has been his bigger problem. Since returning, he has struck out 35 times in 23 games. The guy has absolutely insane strength, but I'm unsure that this type of production is sustainable with how frequently he strikes out.

Just checked and Zunino's K rate is actually worse since being called back than it was before he got sent down.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checked and Zunino's K rate is actually worse since being called back than it was before he got sent down.

I would normally be right with you on this, but I think his AB's have been much better. Even though the K's have increased, I think he has given himself better opportunities to put balls in play and with power. Not sure how to really explain it, but I don't see the K's as an issue...at this point. We all know he will never hit for average like Posey so getting production like he is supplying is well worth the K's.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would normally be right with you on this, but I think his AB's have been much better. Even though the K's have increased, I think he has given himself better opportunities to put balls in play and with power. Not sure how to really explain it, but I don't see the K's as an issue...at this point. We all know he will never hit for average like Posey so getting production like he is supplying is well worth the K's.

taken the pitch and driving it opposite field has been the most tell of this "new stance"....

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would I prefer for the outs that Zunino does make to be more productive outs? Sure. A flyout or a groundball to the right side to move the runners up would be preferable to a strikeout. That said, it's hard to get too upset when the balls he does put in play in fair territory have either found open grass or the other side of the fence at a nearly 40% clip for the month. He's also putting up much better at-bats even when he does get out. I don't know if there's a way to keep track of this short of manually going through every at-bat he's had pitch-by-pitch and tallying the number of times this has happened, but even when he does strikeout, it seems to me that he's at least making the pitcher work a lot more than he used to to get the strikeout. In other words, I think we're seeing fewer "Good morning, good afternoon, goodnight" at-bats from him since he came back.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would I prefer for the outs that Zunino does make to be more productive outs? Sure. A flyout or a groundball to the right side to move the runners up would be preferable to a strikeout. That said, it's hard to get too upset when the balls he does put in play in fair territory have either found open grass or the other side of the fence at a nearly 40% clip for the month. He's also putting up much better at-bats even when he does get out. I don't know if there's a way to keep track of this short of manually going through every at-bat he's had pitch-by-pitch and tallying the number of times this has happened, but even when he does strikeout, it seems to me that he's at least making the pitcher work a lot more than he used to to get the strikeout. In other words, I think we're seeing fewer "Good morning, good afternoon, goodnight" at-bats from him since he came back.

And sometimes a K is better than a groundball with man on 1st for a DP. Just saying K isn't always the worst thing.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's doing exactly what they wanted him to. I mean exactly.

Both Dipoto and Servais were on talk shows around the time Z was sent down and both specifically said the strike outs were not an issue and not a focus. All they wanted from him was that dangerous power and that was what he was lacking that he was sent down to work on. They were asked about what kind of average they wanted as a target etc, and both said they just wanted better power and aren't concerned about strike outs or overall average. Just drive in runs with power and he's doing enough for them.

Maybe they will work on the K's later, or there is some other reason it isn't a focus, but right now he's right where they both wanted him to be when asked a month and a half ago or so.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's doing exactly what they wanted him to. I mean exactly.

Both Dipoto and Servais were on talk shows around the time Z was sent down and both specifically said the strike outs were not an issue and not a focus. All they wanted from him was that dangerous power and that was what he was lacking that he was sent down to work on. They were asked about what kind of average they wanted as a target etc, and both said they just wanted better power and aren't concerned about strike outs or overall average. Just drive in runs with power and he's doing enough for them.

Maybe they will work on the K's later, or there is some other reason it isn't a focus, but right now he's right where they both wanted him to be when asked a month and a half ago or so.

.250 and 20 HR a year would be awesome from Zunino. I do think he is capable of more than that if his potential is ever fully realized, but I'm not going to start expecting the world from him because he's been on a hot streak the last few weeks. That said I hope he keeps it up. Zunino has played a very large role is several recent wins, games they probably lose with old Z or Tuffy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at M's but thought it was funny

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh god we've pitched the only good bullpen guys we have too many games in a row, now we get the other 5 that suck shit

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ryan M. SpaederVerified account @theaceofspaeder

#Mariners Edgar Martinez batted .356/.479/.659 with 73 2B, 2 3B, & 33 HR over the span of 162 games from June 23, 1995 to June 20, 1996.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Altavilla even still on this team? And why the hell is he in there in the 8th inning? The idiocy of Servais at it again.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit. Strikes out the side but gives up 2 runs.....Mariners

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Altavilla even still on this team? And why the hell is he in there in the 8th inning? The idiocy of Servais at it again.
and while it worked out, wtf was he allowed to stay in after giving up the homer

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe we just had this same convo the last time he pitched. He at best is a 1 out pitcher. SMH!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did a great job of watching pitches that inning.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaz in in a non-save situation. That always goes well.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the worst umpiring I've ever seen