• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's Vs Tigers; June 19th - 22nd

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great ending to the series. Moore looked solid. I think they left him in a little long, but then that's what this staff does. Took care of business and FINALLY hit one game above .500. Just in time to see how they stack up against the stros.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Did you really start Andrew Moore on your fantasy team?"

Polar Vortex: "Yes. Yes I did.

"And how do you feel about that, sir?"

Polar Vortex: "Well, what can I say? I'm a genius."

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just our luck not only a true rookie on the mound tonight, but one that is 23 and has nearly no real minor league experience. I mean I love seeing a kid get his chance and I know Moore's reputation from Oregon State all they way through his very brief time in Tacoma, but tonight of all nights. A chance to finally have Sisyphus get his rock over the top.

I know I'm posting this after the game, that said, still better than Gallardo.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't get with the whole argument about the unwritten rules, is I was always taught once it gets into the 7th, not 1 out in the 6th. But the unwritten rules in baseball kind of are all out the window in today's baseball.

IMO, grey areas are for sore losers. If you have a no hitter going into the ninth it is absolutely absurd to expect the offense to roll over for you to achieve the no-no. It's not a rule for a reason.

I know I'm posting this after the game, that said, still better than Gallardo.

Thats a good point because not only was this in place of Gallardo but Gallardo was warming up in the pen at the end of the game. Did I miss something here, has Servais officially relegated Gallardo to the pen? Wont hurt my feelings. Considering those coming back to the rotation he has to be odd man out:

1) Paxton
2) Felix
3) Miranda
4) Gaviglio
5) Moore

Once, if, Smyly comes back he takes one of the two kids' spot at the bottom. Gallardo shouldn't sniff the rotation at that point, and furthermore we look like we have a solid rotation; thanks to Miranda and Moore.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, grey areas are for sore losers. If you have a no hitter going into the ninth it is absolutely absurd to expect the offense to roll over for you to achieve the no-no. It's not a rule for a reason.

Thats a good point because not only was this in place of Gallardo but Gallardo was warming up in the pen at the end of the game. Did I miss something here, has Servais officially relegated Gallardo to the pen? Wont hurt my feelings. Considering those coming back to the rotation he has to be odd man out:

1) Paxton
2) Felix
3) Miranda
4) Gaviglio
5) Moore

Once, if, Smyly comes back he takes one of the two kids' spot at the bottom. Gallardo shouldn't sniff the rotation at that point, and furthermore we look like we have a solid rotation; thanks to Miranda and Moore.
Yes, Gallardo is set to be the long relief in the pen at this point.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess we can disagree on that, if Dyson did that in the 9th, I'd have zero issue with the Tigers throwing at his head the next game. Much like if the Seahawks are up by 30 in the 4th and still having Wilson throw the ball I wouldn't have an issue with a d lineman taking a late shot on him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we can disagree on that, if Dyson did that in the 9th, I'd have zero issue with the Tigers throwing at his head the next game. Much like if the Seahawks are up by 30 in the 4th and still having Wilson throw the ball I wouldn't have an issue with a d lineman taking a late shot on him.

Difference being 4-0 at the time. Even in your premise of it being in the 9th, 4-0 is still a game.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm... interesting view, I completely disagree though. I have a much more cutthroat approach to baseball. If my team was down by 13 going into the 9th with the opposing pitcher throwing a no no I would tell Dyson to bunt and break this fuckers no no up. It is absurd to me to not try hard just because a guy is throwing a no hitter/ perfect game.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference being 4-0 at the time. Even in your premise of it being in the 9th, 4-0 is still a game.

Very true, but that is an unwritten rule that I'd stand by. The 6th and 7th is fine..even the 8th if a bean ball is fine. In the 9th you're just being a dick when it comes to history just for them to bring in their closer to shut you down. The Mariners weren't in a position for a closer to come in..no big deal IMO.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, if the Hawks are up 30 in the 4th I run the ball for the sake of getting the game over with; not because it'll hurt the other teams feelings. Even then, we can very well score and add to the 30. Dyson bunting in the 9th, I agree to disagree. A no hitter should be extremely difficult from the first out to the 27th out, not get easier the closer you get to the end.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, but that is an unwritten rule that I'd stand by. The 6th and 7th is fine..even the 8th if a bean ball is fine. In the 9th you're just being a dick when it comes to history just for them to bring in their closer to shut you down. The Mariners weren't in a position for a closer to come in..no big deal IMO.

An unwritten rule is fantasy to start with. Who can define something that doesn't exist in writing? I am not arguing with you because it is just our opinions and nobody is right or wrong, but to me it isn't a no-hitter if guys are just laying down and giving up. My best example would be Favre laying down for Strahan for he could get the sack record. Is that really a record when it is handed to him? Not to me anyways. All good and always enjoy your input.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game was still within reach even if Verlander hadn't given anything up to that point, so I don't believe a bunt for a hit there goes against any unwritten rule. I also agree with NW that I want my players getting on base any way they can (within the actual rules) regardless of the inning. If it turns out that they were just outmatched that day, so be it, but I don't want them making it easier for a guy to get a no-no or perfecto because of some unwritten rule that says you can't do something in the 6th inning or later of a no-hitter/perfect game (that is still within reach) that you can do just an inning or two earlier in the same scenario.

I didn't hear any postgame comments from Tigers players calling it bush league or against unwritten rules and even if they did, I wouldn't agree with them. To me, bush league would be if the Tigers were so pissed about Dyson's bunt that they deliberately hit him the next time he came up against them. I don't care if they'd be aiming for his ribs, a fastball to the ribs can still do damage and I think intentionally trying to hurt a player because he did something that was legal, but you just didn't like, is a lot worse than bunting to break up a perfect game regardless of the inning.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think Verlander was even mad at the time about the bunt, more so got rattled that his no hitter ended.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An unwritten rule is fantasy to start with. Who can define something that doesn't exist in writing? I am not arguing with you because it is just our opinions and nobody is right or wrong, but to me it isn't a no-hitter if guys are just laying down and giving up. My best example would be Favre laying down for Strahan for he could get the sack record. Is that really a record when it is handed to him? Not to me anyways. All good and always enjoy your input.

I know, there isn't really a yes or no, or written rule. Just had Dyson done that in the 9th of a no hitter or perfect game I would've had zero issue with the Tigers throwing at his head. In the situation it was, who cares. The earliest I've even heard of was the 7th of a perfect game.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, there isn't really a yes or no, or written rule. Just had Dyson done that in the 9th of a no hitter or perfect game I would've had zero issue with the Tigers throwing at his head. In the situation it was, who cares. The earliest I've even heard of was the 7th of a perfect game.

Throwing at a guy's head, potentially ending his career and seriously injuring him if he can't get out of the way fast enough, is a ridiculously disproportionate reaction to losing a no-hitter, even in the 9th inning, on a bunt. I would have had a serious issue with it if they chose to do that. Head hunting doesn't belong in baseball or any sport for that matter and I don't know how anyone can so casually condone it.