• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's Vs Tigers; June 19th - 22nd

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Valencia peaked? His ass goes goes to LF when swinging at outside pitches which is never a good sign. Bailing like someone scared of the ball. Gamel has been working out there so maybe time to get him in there and use our speed outfielders together.

A LH first base option is a need right now. However I think to platoon there they need to stop running a short bench.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A LH first base option is a need right now. However I think to platoon there they need to stop running a short bench.
The 1B platoon would only make sense if they added another LH outfielder. If not you are basically just substituting Heredia for Valencia. Not a sizable change in production, IMO, and both RH. Now having Gamel spell Valencia occasionally, then yeah, that makes sense. But a true platoon I don't see happening.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1B platoon would only make sense if they added another LH outfielder. If not you are basically just substituting Heredia for Valencia. Not a sizable change in production, IMO, and both RH. Now having Gamel spell Valencia occasionally, then yeah, that makes sense. But a true platoon I don't see happening.

The only way it makes sense is if you have a 4 man bench. Not sure if they are up for doing that. Internally the options are Vogelbach or bring up Martin and use Gamel more at first. However don't think either of them will hit enough. At the very least Haniger should hit in front of Valencia vs a Righty. Just think you are asking for trouble having Valencia face every righty

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discussion on KJR this morning: At what point in a game in which the pitcher is throwing a perfect game/no hitter is it no longer appropriate to bunt for a base hit. There is multiple schools of thought on this subject with the extreme guys saying that 'it is appropriate at any point in the game' and the old school unwritten rules guys saying 'the game itself dictates when'. A close game allows for more leniency. If you are losing 4-0 in the 6th inning then you are probably in a gray between appropriateness and inappropriateness.

I remember Ben Davis breaking up a perfect game in the 7th inning with a bunt single. He was with the DBacks at the time and I don't remember who the pitcher was.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discussion on KJR this morning: At what point in a game in which the pitcher is throwing a perfect game/no hitter is it no longer appropriate to bunt for a base hit. There is multiple schools of thought on this subject with the extreme guys saying that 'it is appropriate at any point in the game' and the old school unwritten rules guys saying 'the game itself dictates when'. A close game allows for more leniency. If you are losing 4-0 in the 6th inning then you are probably in a gray between appropriateness and inappropriateness.

I remember Ben Davis breaking up a perfect game in the 7th inning with a bunt single. He was with the DBacks at the time and I don't remember who the pitcher was.

I just don't have a problem with it in almost any circumstance. If it's 10-0 in the 9th and Cruz
Is bunting then I can see an issue. The bunt is part of Dysons game. He does it all the time so he really is just trying to get onbase. At 4-0 it's still technically a game. Verlander clearly let it affect him which I would have a bigger issue with if I'm a Tigers fan

FYI the Ben Davis one was when he was a Padre against Curt Schilling as a Dback

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If bunt base hits were so easy we would see a lot more of them.

If you can't field your position as a pitcher to protect your own no hitter then stop acting like a total bitch after a bunt breaks it up.

If a bunt is somehow wrong to try to disrupt a pitcher then is it also wrong to continually step off the mound to disrupt batters in retaliation after your game is falling apart?

#stonesfromglasshouses

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't have a problem with it in almost any circumstance. If it's 10-0 in the 9th and Cruz
Is bunting then I can see an issue. The bunt is part of Dysons game. He does it all the time so he really is just trying to get onbase. At 4-0 it's still technically a game. Verlander clearly let it affect him which I would have a bigger issue with if I'm a Tigers fan

FYI the Ben Davis one was when he was a Padre against Curt Schilling as a Dback
Yeah, Verlander was pissed. I think that's what all of his stall tactics were about. He was pouting. I bet Kate has a black eye this morning.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, this whole when is it appropriate or not is a bunch of bullshit. It's a game all the way until the last out, so as far as I'm concerned it's fare game until then. As soon as the offense changes their game to allow something like a no hitter for the other team the no hitter should have an asterisk in my opinion. When SD had a massive lead on us last year should they have started pulling their guys and taken it easy on us? We came back from down a shit ton to crush their pride. Play to the last out, and by doing so we not only broke up the no no but we won the damn game. Never give in to the opponent at any point. Verlander can shove it up his ass whining in the 6th when we have the lineup we have. Get the hell out of here!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta be impressed/happy with the return of Jean Segura so quickly. Didn't people initially think he'd be out 2 months? Hell of a recovery.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Common M's, let's get over .500 tonight!!! Time to climb over that mountain...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Common M's, let's get over .500 tonight!!! Time to climb over that mountain...
Just our luck not only a true rookie on the mound tonight, but one that is 23 and has nearly no real minor league experience. I mean I love seeing a kid get his chance and I know Moore's reputation from Oregon State all they way through his very brief time in Tacoma, but tonight of all nights. A chance to finally have Sisyphus get his rock over the top.

One thing is for sure though. Those of us that remember the offense of the late 90's-2001ish are remembering this feeling of not being out of any game down 3-4 runs going into the later part of the game. You always have that feeling they are one step away from blowing open an inning.

This batting order is really starting to take off with all of these guys coming back and all of the gems they have found in the young bats that have stepped up.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, this whole when is it appropriate or not is a bunch of bullshit. It's a game all the way until the last out, so as far as I'm concerned it's fare game until then. As soon as the offense changes their game to allow something like a no hitter for the other team the no hitter should have an asterisk in my opinion. When SD had a massive lead on us last year should they have started pulling their guys and taken it easy on us? We came back from down a shit ton to crush their pride. Play to the last out, and by doing so we not only broke up the no no but we won the damn game. Never give in to the opponent at any point. Verlander can shove it up his ass whining in the 6th when we have the lineup we have. Get the hell out of here!

You saved me the energy of posting this myself.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't get with the whole argument about the unwritten rules, is I was always taught once it gets into the 7th, not 1 out in the 6th. But the unwritten rules in baseball kind of are all out the window in today's baseball.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed the first couple of innings. I assume the new kid is doing well. Saw Robbie hit the HR.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great example of why I'm ok w/ someone bunting when they're pitching a no hitter....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question, does anyone know the last time the M's were over .500 this year ? Because it's looking REALLY good that they're finally gonna get over that hump here soon...

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question, does anyone know the last time the M's were over .500 this year ? Because it's looking REALLY good that they're finally gonna get over that hump here soon...
This will be the first time this year