• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Movie Series Where They Had Too Many Sequels

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite whether you like the movies or hated them, what movie series made more movies than they needed? I want this to be series with sequels and prequels, not remakes. For example, the Dark Knight series is not the same as the Batman series of the 90s, it's a remake.

Personally, I think the Die Hard movies should have ended at Die Hard: With a Vengeance. I think these last 2 were not necessary to the story. Even though I do like Live Free or Die Hard and I am now watching A Good Day To Die Hard and am liking it so far, I think they didn't need to be included in the Die Hard series.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friday the 13th...nightmare on Elm Street should have ended at the second one....Halloween

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friday the 13th...nightmare on Elm Street should have ended at the second one....Halloween

How many of those are there? I know both were series and both have been redone.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hangover 2
Taken 2
American pie after american wedding

some movies don't even deserve sequels.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE A Good Day to Die Hard! Can't agree with you that they should be cut. I think anymore would be bad - unless it was Jai Courtney starting his own Die Hard series with just a cameo from Willis, which could work with the right director - but I thought 5 was awesome. Bought it as soon as I saw it in stores.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, very much so.

The first movie was awesome....Steven Spielberg drops out of film school to do this film. Genius to not show the shark until the wooden boat scene near the end.

I was a kid at the time and mom drug me to the drive-in to see it and wondered by I couldn't get to sleep. Has something to do with that 100 foot shark on the movie screen!

Anyway....It was just a re-telling of Moby Dick. Great movie. Classic.

Jaws II was ok.

Jaws III was reaching with 3-D. Great cast, though. Lou Gosset Jr. must have punched his agent after this one.

Jaws IV was tired. It tried with Michael Caine in the cast but the end where the woman hits the shark with the boat? Really?!

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE A Good Day to Die Hard! Can't agree with you that they should be cut. I think anymore would be bad - unless it was Jai Courtney starting his own Die Hard series with just a cameo from Willis, which could work with the right director - but I thought 5 was awesome. Bought it as soon as I saw it in stores.

I'm not saying those movies were bad, I think With a Vengeance, they showed what he was like in his home city. The first one was in LA, 2nd as in DC, and finally got to see what he was like in DC. I went and bought Live Free and Die Hard the day it came out in stores. I liked it myself. Just didn't think it was particularly necessary.

Rocky is another one I think they should have cut shorter. No need for the Rocky 5 and Rocky Balboa. They should have ended it after he beat Ivan Drago. The 5th one was terrible. I did like the last one, but I really didn't see the point of making it.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying those movies were bad, I think With a Vengeance, they showed what he was like in his home city. The first one was in LA, 2nd as in DC, and finally got to see what he was like in DC. I went and bought Live Free and Die Hard the day it came out in stores. I liked it myself. Just didn't think it was particularly necessary.

Rocky is another one I think they should have cut shorter. No need for the Rocky 5 and Rocky Balboa. They should have ended it after he beat Ivan Drago. The 5th one was terrible. I did like the last one, but I really didn't see the point of making it.

One of my friends insist they only made four Rocky movies...the same way I insist they only made three Indiana Jones movies! :laugh3:

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first movie was awesome....Steven Spielberg drops out of film school to do this film. Genius to not show the shark until the wooden boat scene near the end.

I was a kid at the time and mom drug me to the drive-in to see it and wondered by I couldn't get to sleep. Has something to do with that 100 foot shark on the movie screen!

Anyway....It was just a re-telling of Moby Dick. Great movie. Classic.

Jaws II was ok.

Jaws III was reaching with 3-D. Great cast, though. Lou Gosset Jr. must have punched his agent after this one.

Jaws IV was tired. It tried with Michael Caine in the cast but the end where the woman hits the shark with the boat? Really?!

I didn't know thee was a 4th one.:agree:

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Police Academy 2 through 7 to the list.

Oh yea, Police Academy 8 is slated for theaters (or straight to DVD) in 2014.:L

Last edited by a moderator:

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Police Academy 2 through 7 to the list.

They might not be near as good, but I do think that showing what they were like after they graduated from the Academy wasn't a bad thing though. Maybe not 6 more movies, but a few more didn't hurt.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw. The killer dies yet you make 3 more movies?

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might not be near as good, but I do think that showing what they were like after they graduated from the Academy wasn't a bad thing though. Maybe not 6 more movies, but a few more didn't hurt.

True the second wasn't bad, but things started going down hill faster and faster with each one.

Speaking of Guttenburg movies, he could be reuniting with Tom Selleck & Ted Danson in "Three Men and a Bride". The script has been written but no word on production.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reason for Balboa is the same reason we had the last Rambo. Sly felt the stories on both characters were left with loose ends.

With regard to Rocky...he has the fight in the street with butt nugget - but what happens after that?

Big changes. Philly herself went through some things - like the ice skating rink in that scene isn't there anymore, etc. He had to explain what happened to his son and his wife died. There wont be anymore because Rocky got it all out in the ring. He walked away having held his own with a guy half his age and didn't care if he won or lost. Rocky just felt he needed one more fight to be done with it.

Rambo was more about him coming home. We pick up with him pretty much where we did where he started off that movie stick fighting in Thailand. He's a fisherman now but he never came home and that's not right. Major hole in the plot: the white woman (played by Julie Benz) was taken hostage just so she could be rescued? They weren't trying to sell her or take advantage of her. Just hold her in a cell.

Both movies were about the characters putting the past behind them and moving on. I can respect that.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smokey and the Bandit. The first one was a classic and they should have left it at that. The rest of them suck.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably gonna get crucified for this one, but I think "The Godfather" should have ended after the second one. It could have just been the first one and that'd been fine too, but I do like that they give you Vito Corleone's history and rise to power in the second one.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably gonna get crucified for this one, but I think "The Godfather" should have ended after the second one. It could have just been the first one and that'd been fine too, but I do like that they give you Vito Corleone's history and rise to power in the second one.

crucified.gif

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason for Balboa is the same reason we had the last Rambo. Sly felt the stories on both characters were left with loose ends.

With regard to Rocky...he has the fight in the street with butt nugget - but what happens after that?

Big changes. Philly herself went through some things - like the ice skating rink in that scene isn't there anymore, etc. He had to explain what happened to his son and his wife died. There wont be anymore because Rocky got it all out in the ring. He walked away having held his own with a guy half his age and didn't care if he won or lost. Rocky just felt he needed one more fight to be done with it.

Rambo was more about him coming home. We pick up with him pretty much where we did where he started off that movie stick fighting in Thailand. He's a fisherman now but he never came home and that's not right. Major hole in the plot: the white woman (played by Julie Benz) was taken hostage just so she could be rescued? They weren't trying to sell her or take advantage of her. Just hold her in a cell.

Both movies were about the characters putting the past behind them and moving on. I can respect that.

I didn't say Rambo. I like how the Rambo series went. I'm glad Sly decided not to go through with Rambo 5. Hopefully they don't do a prequel that is being rumored. Sly said he will not be part of it at all. He hung up Rambo for good. It should stay that way.

I'm not upset Balboa was created. It was a movie that was created after the disastrous Rocky 5. Sly says himself that he never should have done that one. With Rocky 4, you would have ended the series with Rocky ending his boxing career, leaving it all in the ring. In Rocky, you had the start of his big time career, Rocky 4, you had the end of his big time career. We didn't need to see him as a manager wannabe or an old fart fighting a young buck to prove he still has it. We didn't need to know how his wife died, we didn't need to know how Philly has changed since then, etc. It could have been just about his big time fighting career. Started in Rocky and ended in Rocky 4.