• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most overrated rock star

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, whatever the reason, they shit the bed almost 40 years ago. Tattoo You is ok. I put the cutoff at Some Girls, personally, for "great" albums. Their live shows have been terrible since then too.

Arguably the greatest rock n roll band ever tho....they would be number 1 by a mile in my book, if they had called it quits after Some Girls.

I think it's hard to argue otherwise.

I agree about Some Girls. They had some decent songs after, but no true rock anthems.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No love for Neil Young?

An odd combo, but Neil Young was very close friends with Waylon Jennings, so despite getting burned by Skynyrd, I can't really hate on the dude.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's hard to argue otherwise.

I agree about Some Girls. They had some decent songs after, but no true rock anthems.

Start Me Up probably still gets as much airplay as anything they've ever done, though it's never been one of my favorites of theirs.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The three writers that stand out to me are, Dylan, Young, and Kristofferson.

Kristofferson is so underrated, it's ridiculous. For my money, he and Willie Nelson are the two best songwriters of all time.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neil Young is a brilliant song writer.....my favourite Canadian writer after Gordon Lightfoot. If Roger Waters puts him on a pedestal alongside Dylan and Lennon, (and I think RW is right there with them) that's good enough for me

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start Me Up probably still gets as much airplay as anything they've ever done, though it's never been one of my favorites of theirs.

I'm not buying that.

Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, Paint it Black, Satisfaction, You Can't Always Get, Brown Sugar, Angie, Jumping Jack Flash, Wild Horses, Only Rock N Roll

I'd be a little surprised if Start Me Up is played more than any of those and SHOCKED if it was played more than all of them.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Roger Waters puts him on a pedestal alongside Dylan and Lennon, (and I think RW is right there with them) that's good enough for me

I prefer McCartney's songwriting. Lennon was raw and wrote some great songs, but I like McCartney's sophistication better.

I think there's a good chance we'd have never heard of Lennon if it wasn't for McCartney.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer McCartney's songwriting. Lennon was raw and wrote some great songs, but I like McCartney's sophistication better.

I think there's a good chance we'd have never heard of Lennon if it wasn't for McCartney.

You mean Billy Shears? :tinfoil3:

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think McCartney was a better songwriter, and Lennon the better lyricist.

Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, Paint it Black, Satisfaction, You Can't Always Get, Brown Sugar, Angie, Jumping Jack Flash, Wild Horses, Only Rock N Roll

I'd be a little surprised if Start Me Up is played more than any of those and SHOCKED if it was played more than all of them.

I have to disagree with that one. Start Me Up gets as much airplay (if not more) as all those other Stones tunes you mentioned, with perhaps an exception to Satisfaction. Not that I dislike the song, but I always thougth Slave was far, far better....and I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying that.

It's one of those they play at ball games .. the intro anyway. Maybe that's why it seems like it to me.

Which reminds me of another thing about the Stones.. Keith wrote the best intros and I can't think of another group that's even close.

Reactions: GNG

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you...

I am so fucking confused with that guy. Some people worship him, like he's a god damn genius. I have a friend with a lyric of Springsteen's tattoo'd on his body.

I just... what is it? I don't understand what I'm supposed to think is good.

I feel the same way about Prince. All I hear is commercial pop music out of that guy. At least, I can understand people liking that, more than I can Springsteen. Pop music has it's place. I just don't understand why Prince is a "genius".

Sometimes, I think if you've achieved a certain amount of success and build yourself up to be a god, the masses will buy in. Kind of like Jim Morrison (even though I love The Doors... I just think he was 4th most talented dude in that band, but sold himself as this god). Then, he died at 26, at the height of his fame. Which always makes you kind of a legend.

Springsteen is shit, Prince is shit... they can both stay out of my catalogue.
:agree:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are so many bands that absolutely shit all over the noise pollution that is "tha stones" that it's not even funny. are you kidding me with this garbage?? have you been living your whole life being pulled around via your nostrils by rolling stone magazine or something?? they're not even close to the best band out of the UK, let alone "best rock and roll band ever".
tenor.gif

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lennon used to help McCartney with his lyrics. His lyrical ineptness was really exposed after they broke up. Lennon didn't have the knack for melodies that McCartney did... nobody does, but he wrote his share of great tunes.

Reactions: GNG

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree with that one. Start Me Up gets as much airplay (if not more) as all those other Stones tunes you mentioned, with perhaps an exception to Satisfaction. Not that I dislike the song, but I always thougth Slave was far, far better....and I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio.

Mexican standoff.

I think you're wrong and you think I'm wrong. I don't think there's any definitive way to figure out the answer.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This group will be inducted into the Rock HOF... It's about fucking time.