• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Monday Night Football: MNF part 2: Chargers @ Broncos, 10:20pm EST on ESPN

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always a heart breaker losing on a missed fieldgoal.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a fun game to watch. The score doesn't reflect it, but Denver thoroughly dominated them. Gave up an early 20+ yard gain to Gordon then shut him down the rest of the night. Held Phyllis in check and got him to water the grass with his tears several times.

I was pretty happy with how our Defense and Offense played.

McManus seriously needs to figure his shit out. His miss last night could have been terrible.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know. I don't like it though. As much as I hate the unwritten rules in baseball, the icing of the kicker seems totally "Bush League"

Are you gonna make a rule that says a coach can't use a timeout that is available to them?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you gonna make a rule that says a coach can't use a timeout that is available to them?
No, definitely wouldn't do that. I'm just saying the part I don't like about how it plays out now is that the coach apparently alerts a ref that he is going to call a time out with one second left on the playclock so that the kicking team is actually forced to run the play. Teams have always iced the kicker but before they changed the rule so coaches were allowed to call time outs the time out would be called more like 10 seconds before the play took place so they didn't actually have to go through the motions of running the play and kicking the ball, only to have to do it all over again.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, definitely wouldn't do that. I'm just saying the part I don't like about how it plays out now is that the coach apparently alerts a ref that he is going to call a time out with one second left on the playclock so that the kicking team is actually forced to run the play. Teams have always iced the kicker but before they changed the rule so coaches were allowed to call time outs the time out would be called more like 10 seconds before the play took place so they didn't actually have to go through the motions of running the play and kicking the ball, only to have to do it all over again.

We've seen that play go the other way as well where the kicker missed the field goal but becuase time out was called they got another chance and nail it. So it is a risk either way for the team and just a fun little head game that is allowed in the NFL. Brings some strategy into the game. Heck the Broncos credited that time out with allowed 2 of the players to talk about how they were going to attack the guard with Wolfe attacking the outside shoulder of Feeney to free up the inside rush lane for Harris to make the block. So plenty of importance in what happened on that play and the timeout being a bit part of the win.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen that play go the other way as well where the kicker missed the field goal but becuase time out was called they got another chance and nail it. So it is a risk either way for the team and just a fun little head game that is allowed in the NFL. Brings some strategy into the game. Heck the Broncos credited that time out with allowed 2 of the players to talk about how they were going to attack the guard with Wolfe attacking the outside shoulder of Feeney to free up the inside rush lane for Harris to make the block. So plenty of importance in what happened on that play and the timeout being a bit part of the win.
Exactly. It cuts both ways.

Perhaps one thing you could do is allow the team to challenge to verify that the timeout was called before the ball was snapped. In most cases I think it's purely the referee's discretion, and it shouldn't be.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I understand it's a risk and it doesn't always work and everything. And like I said, I have no problem with the timeout. It's a good idea. I just don't like the fact that they wait until they actually run the play and then one team celebrates, depending on whether he makes or misses the kick, then they have to do it again.

But I'm over it, and I don't think there is anything else I can add to my point. :suds: