• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Babcock calls for bigger nets

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I got two extra inches (in length) and I take it."

Thats what she said

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Roy lead the league in save percentage in 1987-88 with a save percentage (wait for it) of .900

This is how he looked back in 87-88.

CST1986.jpg

Attachments

• CST1986.jpg
    CST1986.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 21

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, the goalie's union unofficially met last night. And we are sorry that you whiny fucking forwards with your fancy carbon sticks and space age pads and skates can't seem to figure out how to play well enough to beat us. We have had it up to here with you picking on us for being eccentric and not inviting us to your parties in Vegas (STOLL), so we took all that time alone to improve our games, and now we finally have progressed the position to the point where you fucking crybabies can't take it. And a coach who's best player is Nazem Fucking Kadri is leading the charge? Why? Could it be because his minions couldn't score with NO goalie?

Well tough titties.

Go ahead. You suck so fucking badly that you can't put a 2 inch puck into a net that is the size of a house comparatively because we FUCKING RULE, YOU PANSIES. So now you want to change the size of the nets. Make 'em bigger. Or restrict our pad size. Because you little glory whores are too fucking pathetic to beat us straight up. HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sure, we'll change the net size and wear smaller pads. We can do that. If you wear pink frilly hockey pants like the effeminate little ballet dancers that you are.

Think the position is easy? YOU TRY IT. We'll even let you have above current regulation size pats and smaller than regulation size goals. Like the ones mites use. Because you're being little children. And we will score on you. BECAUSE WE'D BE ALLOWED TO SIT DOWN AND REST EVERY 45 SECONDS LIKE YOU WIMPS!

Man the fuck up. You don't get to change the rules because you don't have the skill to win against your new painted helmet overlords. Get over it. Changing anything will just be you admitting you can't deal with it. And you are admitting that we are just too great for you.

And we're not inviting you to OUR parties. Nyah.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I haven't heard regarding bigger nets is who is going to incur the costs of switching to bigger nets? I mean, if the NHL is going to go to larger nets, then I assume that junior, midget, bantam, and pee wee will also be switching to bigger nets as well. Are we expecting minor hockey associations across Canada and the US to pay for this switch because last time I checked, they don't seem to have an issue with the current size of the net.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babcock: It’s impossible to score. All you gotta do is a math equation. You go to 1980 when the puck went in the net. You got the average size of the goalies in the NHL and the average size of the net. You keep growing the net bigger, that would make the game the same. We change the game every year because we don’t want to change the game. The net’s too small for the size of the goalies. Period.

What do you think?

(pssst... i totally agree with him)
Nets the same for everybody, the Leafs just

neonsuck,suck,tumblr,kelsey,neon,neonlight-673062bf6921bb4fa2be30155f4f18b0_h.jpg

royally!

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously who cares what Mike Babcock wants.

We really just need to hear from Mike Bad-dad-clock.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I haven't heard regarding bigger nets is who is going to incur the costs of switching to bigger nets? I mean, if the NHL is going to go to larger nets, then I assume that junior, midget, bantam, and pee wee will also be switching to bigger nets as well. Are we expecting minor hockey associations across Canada and the US to pay for this switch because last time I checked, they don't seem to have an issue with the current size of the net.

I played on a traveling team for both soccer and indoor soccer on different-sized fields when growing up. They probably had half a dozen different net sizes that we played with depending on the tournament and type of play. In fact, a quick search to purchase soccer goals at Dicks shows goals that are 4x6, 5x7, 12x6, 12x6.5, etc.

So, no. I don't think what the pros and minors use for net size has to match that of youth sports. In fact, if you have little kids in goal, it makes sense to have a smaller goal (and ice sheet) for them in many ways. At the end of the day, you aim for the gap or the corner and shoot. That doesn't change if the net is bigger or smaller, it just makes the gap bigger or smaller and your odds of it going in different. It might change your overall strategy (shoot more vs. get better shots), but not the individual performance and actions, so having a uniform net or field size for youth sports is not necessary to teach them the skills and strategies of the sport.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is probably the best thing Ive ever seen Sportsnet be a party too ... Corey Hirsch has probably had his goalie union membership revoked

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would the stop though? When the nets got as big as soccer nets?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is probably the best thing Ive ever seen Sportsnet be a party too ... Corey Hirsch has probably had his goalie union membership revoked

That was a really cool video, but the people who talk about "integrity" and "tradition" are oblivious to an obvious fact of not only sports, but life... Change is happening all the time, everywhere and you can't stop it.

3-on-3 overtime, hybrid icing, goalie pad changes, rink size standardization, the trapezoid, no 3-line passes, reductions in (and eventual elimination of) fighting, netting above the boards, boards being curved different, boards being made of different shit, boards boards boards!, delay of game penalty, instigator penalty, less room behind the net, 6 teams, 20 teams, 30 teams?!?, more room behind the net, ties, shootouts, etc. etc. etc. On and on.

The goal here is a simple one - the NHL has been trying for a couple decades to reach a simple goal - more scoring. If that is your goal, its a waste of time to institute tons of tiny rule changes that make the game more difficult to referee when one simple change that is quite literally a matter of a few inches can accomplish exactly that.

It will eventually happen anyway.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
canucks have to trade Miller before his oversized bloomers get taken in

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
canucks have to trade Miller before his oversized bloomers get taken in

Not that I don't think it's a good idea (because I think it is long overdue), but this is right out of the CFL playbook (changing stuff right in the middle of a season). Sure glad to see the commissioner has two strong hands on the wheel.