• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Babcock calls for bigger nets

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I don't think it's a good idea (because I think it is long overdue), but this is right out of the CFL playbook (changing stuff right in the middle of a season). Sure glad to see the commissioner has two strong hands on the wheel.

A season that has featured a number of games where one of the teams has scored 10 goals, and a couple days after the marquee matchup ended 8-7 in OT.

Scoring is fine.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To secure first place in the Auston Matthews standings. Duh.

Don't you know anything about the Shanaplan?

Just thought I would quote this post from earlier in the thread (lol) - The Shanaplan is working quite well and Reimer and Bernier have long since departed Hogtown.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thought I would quote this post from earlier in the thread (lol) - The Shanaplan is working quite well and Reimer and Bernier have long since departed Hogtown.
Gotta say, everything is going according to plan in Leafland.

That still feels weird to say.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I don't think it's a good idea (because I think it is long overdue), but this is right out of the CFL playbook (changing stuff right in the middle of a season). Sure glad to see the commissioner has two strong hands on the wheel.
I may be wrong but I think the approximate time frame for the switch was announced early in the off-season and the NHL said they'd give the goalers time to acclimatise themselves to the new regulation equipment in-season before instituting a drop-dead date. I'm guessing a lot of goalies are already using the new stuff.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A season that has featured a number of games where one of the teams has scored 10 goals, and a couple days after the marquee matchup ended 8-7 in OT.

Scoring is fine.
While I have no disagreement at all with the bolded since I don't think more goals automatically means more entertaining, scoring is, on average, pretty much consistent with the last five years. This year it's 2.75 so far and the last five have been 2.71, 2.73, 2.74, 2.72, and 2.73. Before that, all post-lockout years were higher than this season.

NHL League Averages | Hockey-Reference.com

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, everything is going according to plan in Leafland.

That still feels weird to say.

"PLAN ????"

benning__1_.0.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scoring is fine.

Dude, you are way too smart to use 2-3 examples as an expression of a trend.

Goal scoring has been steady between 2.7-2.8 gpg for the past 7 seasons now and is at 2.75 for this year. Here are the overall numbers.

That is still significantly down from the averages from the mid-70s to mid-90s that the NHL seems to want to return to.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Roy 1986

CST1986.jpg

Patrick Roy 2002

season-player-patrick-roy-of-the-colorado-avalanche-picture-id52326221

/He doesn't even look that huge in 2002

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they could just go to 3 on 3 for the firs 10 minutes of each period. Then, they could do a shootout for the other ten. And they could also promise to send any defenseman who stick checks, hits, or otherwise impedes any of the league's designated "Score Bros" to bed without dinner.

Then those namby pamby wusses will get their goals without having to worry about a career ending hangnail.

It so easy. Why look at other factors?
NHL Player Height | Hockey, Visualized

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they could just go to 3 on 3 for the firs 10 minutes of each period. Then, they could do a shootout for the other ten. And they could also promise to send any defenseman who stick checks, hits, or otherwise impedes any of the league's designated "Score Bros" to bed without dinner.

Then those namby pamby wusses will get their goals without having to worry about a career ending hangnail.

It so easy. Why look at other factors?
NHL Player Height | Hockey, Visualized

Goalies are very tough. And outstanding skaters. I've noticed that female fans find them to be the most attractive and the most charming. These obvious truths don't have much to do with what we're talking about though.

Did I mention how good looking they are? Ah, yes. Check.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goalies are very tough. And outstanding skaters. I've noticed that female fans find them to be the most attractive and the most charming. These obvious truths don't have much to do with what we're talking about though.

You wouldn't want a puck to spoil this face, would you?

henrik1.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See? You're coming around. Just this weekend, my son (who is just a puppy still) caught a puck with his teeth and made some cowardly forward cry with how unfair it was that he wasn't allowed to score. That forward appealed to the ref saying that if he wanted the game to be more exciting, then the net should be twice as big, the goalies should only be allowed to wear one piece of protective equipment per period, and that his left hand and leg should be lashed together.

That ref, who must have been very old school, told the kid to man up and use that $300 composite stick with all that whip (and some nay nay) to work harder o outskate the defenders and pick the fucking corners LIKE A MAN