• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Babcock calls for bigger nets

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like a slightly bigger ice surface too, but I do not see that happening. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing arenas have a choice of ice size. A little more home ice advantage. Naturally, not too much difference between minimum and maximum size, but some leeway.

Didnt Buffalo have the last odd sized surface in the mid 90s?

Not sure. The old Bawston Gawden had an unusually small ice surface.

And in the "Almost pro" category, the Kingston Frontenacs play on a larger surface.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like a slightly bigger ice surface too, but I do not see that happening. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing arenas have a choice of ice size. A little more home ice advantage. Naturally, not too much difference between minimum and maximum size, but some leeway.

Didnt Buffalo have the last odd sized surface in the mid 90s?
They had the last under-sized sheet in the league, but I think Toronto would get credit for having the last odd one because of the way the corners were cut.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer to shrink goalie equipment rather than make the net bigger.

This. Leave the net alone and get the goalie gear scaled back from the ridiculous robo-goalie equipment they are sporting nowadays.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kadri

Avg shots per game: 4.1 = 5th in league
Shooting percentage: 1.9% = 330th in the league
He's gotta be due at some point.

It's made even worse by the fact he's actually playing his best hockey since the lockout year. Deserves better.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Narrower leg pads and tighter jerseys are the only things for the goalie I can think of. Don't change the size of the goal, though. I just see that being awkward with a bunch of guys who have played with the same size net their entire lives.

But the big thing to increase scoring would be to actually call obstruction penalties when they happen. And that's not just about generating more powerplays, because if you put it in guys' heads that they can't just skate offensive players away from the puck or a scoring area, or haul a player down, or whatever, they won't do it as much, and that will open up play as well. It worked in 2005-6, and then they got away from it again.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer to shrink goalie equipment rather than make the net bigger.

/Somehow, the Hawks and Blues found a way to pour in 11 goals last night.

Yeah I like this idea better. Otherwise you need to start an entirely new record book.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Narrower leg pads and tighter jerseys are the only things for the goalie I can think of. Don't change the size of the goal, though. I just see that being awkward with a bunch of guys who have played with the same size net their entire lives.

But the big thing to increase scoring would be to actually call obstruction penalties when they happen. And that's not just about generating more powerplays, because if you put it in guys' heads that they can't just skate offensive players away from the puck or a scoring area, or haul a player down, or whatever, they won't do it as much, and that will open up play as well. It worked in 2005-6, and then they got away from it again.
At the same time though, wouldn't changing the relative* size of the equipment they've been using their entire lives be just as awkward?

* - Relative in this case meaning that they wear the equipment the same size in relation to their own size as they grow.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They (Friedman and Cox) discussed goalie equipment during the 2nd intermission last night on HNIC - One thing being discussed is making goalies wear the same size jersey as non-goalies and the equipment must fit under the jersey.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should tweak it too but I hope babcock is doing this because he wants a better product and not because his team is close to last overall.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What did we change in 05?

Is that when we changed the two line pass rule? And started calling interference really tight?

They (Friedman and Cox) discussed goalie equipment during the 2nd intermission last night on HNIC - One thing being discussed is making goalies wear the same size jersey as non-goalies and the equipment must fit under the jersey.

Same size as Chara? Or Gaudreau?

They could also make the goalies wear the same helmets and gloves! Because they are all just hockey players. If a goalie only has a visor, then he'll stop blocking so many shots. MORE GOALS! LESS GOALIES! :thumb:

There are "goalie cut" jerseys for a reason. Regular jerseys restrict movement too much. In fact, tonight I am sewing spandex into the underarm and side seams on my son's jersey because youth hockey doesn't order goalie cut jerseys. He can barely get his glove hand up to shoulder level when extended.

So if that's what they are going for, it would be cheaper to just bungee the goalies' blocker and catch glove to their hips.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did we change in 05?

Is that when we changed the two line pass rule? And started calling interference really tight?

They could also make the goalies wear the same helmets and gloves! Because they are all just hockey players. If a goalie only...

I've never understood the point of arguing against a reasonable and well-intentioned argument and supplanting it with ridiculous and absurd ones. The people arguing for these things aren't hockey novices or people that know nothing about the game. And nobody is suggesting the things you are mentioning.

I can't imagine the adoption of any rules that would make the game less safe for the goalies since the league has worked to protect them more in recent years. Also, I think the argument against changing the pad sizes and equipment is a reason why the goal size itself being modified makes more sense since it becomes a safety issue.

Yeah I like this idea better. Otherwise you need to start an entirely new record book.

Actually, by making the percentage of space more similar to decades past you would yield records more consistent over time. In 1993, 21 guys had 100 points or more. Last season, 0 players made it to 90. That's quite a drop off in consistency. So this isn't like the NFL where pass-friendly rules make you have to view the many record-smashing performances by QBs in context. If anything, you have to significantly inflate performances today to even put them in context to players from two or three decades ago.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you on calling interference correctly, but you still see it called totalliy differently today than in the 90s or 80s. Defenders do not have the ability to push, grab, and hit guys off the puck like they used to. But teams have adjusted somewhat with the types of trapping and defense they use to the different calls and line rules on passing.

Absolutely there would be some adjustment, but I think it would be fast. You don't aim a shot for an absolute value (as in, that post is exactly 7 degrees left from where I am). You aim for a target and the best athletes visualize that shot as it's happening. They glimpse and snipe at a gap, a corner, etc. They might just have a 6-inch gap to aim for instead of a 3-inch one if the goal size was modified. The adjustment would probably be harder for the goalies, but the human mind is incredibly adaptable. I doubt it would take long.

When the less deep goals were installed, people were very worried about them. It didn't change much and we probably don't even think about them now.

What I want to see Darkstone do is figure out the typical surface area of the goal face a goalie took up in 1970 vs. a goalie today. That would be interesting!