• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MBBRL Oblivion Discussion

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear that micro.

Oh, and Joe, excellent intro btw. Laid out perfectly. :suds:

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To Sam's point, over the years, some have left the MBBRL (DUB), some have not migrated over from CBS (Hawk & dog), and others have taken a temporary leave of absence (Scape & Wil).

If that is the purpose of oblivion, then I can see "the reason" for wanting to add it.

In pure Yogi Berra style, if "fantasy football is 90% luck and the other half is skill"... it would seem most unfortunate that the two of the most unlucky teams would be replaced just to make room for other owners to return.

And if this turns into a money league - I'm out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To Sam's point, over the years, some have left the MBBRL (DUB), some have not migrated over from CBS (Hawk & dog), and others have taken a temporary leave of absence (Scape & Wil).

If that is the purpose of oblivion, then I can see "the reason" for wanting to add it.

In pure Yogi Berra style, if "fantasy football is 90% luck and the other half is skill"... it would seem most unfortunate that the two of the most unlucky teams would be replaced just to make room for other owners to return.

I find it hard to believe that this would take place just for that purpose.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Fuzzy's post, but it also makes me wonder if it really is a punishment per se? I can't think of any owner in this league that I would not vote to bring back. And that brings up another question: who decides in the end? Is it a vote, or is it Treff's call?

No it Ellenton be any one person's call. The way I understand it is that it would be pretty much that l the same as it is for filling any open team. Potential owners would need a little backing from current members, especially thos still around from the originals. .and we, as a whole group, would (hopefully) select the most worthy candidate. Obviously if the 2 in question have been active owners, and a great addition to the league, that won't go unnoticed, so it's been my feeling, ever since this was purposed, that if whomever these two team owners end up being, if they've been "good" owners. . Active, engaging in the boards and such, they have little to worry about.

A and when you add in what Fuzzy mentioned, it's almost a given that one or 2 spots will be open without this ever taking effect any ways.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is an oblivion rule, then I would have a really hard time voting anybody out.

That being said, the history of the league is vitally important, so if Wil decided to come back, I would vote anyone and everyone out to accommodate that (including myself, if I were ever in that position.

I think it is silly to rule out a C league, because I think that it there could be enough quality interest in it at some point. Shoot, we already have wil, scape, nos, and zep tempi who could potentially be interested in claiming spots next season in addition to the 24 that we have.

If everyone were back, it would not be too great a stretch to think that we could find a couple more quality owners. We may not find 12 right away, but we would in time. With the B league in baseball this year, we found mostly great owners, but there were a couple inactive duds who won't get an invite in 2015.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it hard to believe that this would take place just for that purpose.

It's all speculation on my part. I could be way off connecting the dots. Sort of like picking Mason Crosby this weekend since I need kicker help.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the drone stays in oblivion i will be happy!!!

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, I don't want this to be a money league either.............I just threw that out there so we could put it behind us...........so now it's behind us.:suds:

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason for oblivion: sometimes people seem like pretty good owners in pre-season, but end up not taking care of their teams, and - just as bad - not posting. Usually the two go hand in hand. But even if their team was awful they could still say "sure" in the exciting days of next August and re-up, and run their team the same way again, while guys like Shady or Nos would be left out. The "oblivion" rule is a chance for not-really-interested owners to drop out naturally rather than having to be voted out. And if for some reason everybody wanted them back instead, they could come back.

Not being active on the boards doesn't feel like a good reason to kick someone out, but if they're out because that's how the rules went, it's a legit consideration for whether they make it back in.

Now, if at the end of the year the A leaguers really hate to see the bottom two guys go of course they could be voted back in, and it probably also means the B league is in good shape. And if there are a few more guys we'd really like to bring in, a C league would make sense. But it should be set up identical to the A and B leagues, even if there end up being a few drones. Drones are better than bad owners. (The problem is that it won't be much fun to run.)

It's not really about expansion, or about punishment, or about a path back in, but about maintaining a critical mass of quality players/posters in the MBBRL, whatever size it is.

As to who votes on who gets in, regardless of the situation... I think everybody in the A and B leagues should vote, but votes should get multiplied by the number of years in the league. (Those here the longest have the most at stake.)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure the discussion will increase as we know how many owners are interested to be the replacement for the so called oblivion owners... But i dont understand why if we do make a 3rd league why it MUST be the same as A and B... a league with half Drones, is not going to be fun for anyone...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not for anyone getting booted, its fun, but we knew the rules........

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure the discussion will increase as we know how many owners are interested to be the replacement for the so called oblivion owners... But i dont understand why if we do make a 3rd league why it MUST be the same as A and B... a league with half Drones, is not going to be fun for anyone...
Won't be a league with half drones. 12 people, or none..well maybe one drone wouldn't be terrible. The continuity of the the leagues has to be maintained or else the third league is just another league with no connections. If it's connected to the first 2.. . It MUST be the same. That's the reason why.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't be a league with half drones. 12 people, or none..well maybe one drone wouldn't be terrible. The continuity of the the leagues has to be maintained or else the third league is just another league with no connections. If it's connected to the first 2.. . It MUST be the same. That's the reason why.

I agree with this....

Also, I used to play in a work league that fizzled out and only had 6 owners last year. IMO, 6 and 8 team leagues are worse than playing with drones. Too much talent readily available in super shallow leagues.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good oblivion example is Year 2 (first B-League year). The bottom two B-league teams were Hawk and JTT. Hawk's posts were great and he was in there fighting after an atrocious start, so I have no doubt he would have had priority; JTT didn't post much and wasn't very engaged, so he would have faced competition to regain his spot. (They were both lost in the flood that consumed the CBS message boards, alas, so it became a moot point.)

Agree that a six- or eight-team league is a very different animal from a 12-team league.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We want to keep the competitive nature of MBBRL. I would think that scrapping the Oblivion punishment would be appropriate. The reasons for oblivion should be inactivity, poor behavior, etc. not one year's poor performance. Will's concept of putting together a group of guys who like to post and play has worked great to this point, but I am afraid that our pool of qualified participants is narrow and we don't want to toss out guys that are really interested and trying. I think that it is natural to assume we will have a little attrition each year anyway which would allow new blood.
that my 2 cents

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

i can not agree anymore than i do

i would never want to see a regular totally involved MBBRLeaguer be lost to oblivion because of a bad year injuries..etc etc...

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we the core (ok im not core but surely play and respect the same lines as the core) will never allow coin into the MBBRL..
Of That I Am Sure!!!!

Im convinced we would not even allow a vote

so please do not bring up money because it kills the spirit and intent of the MBBRL

well said Joe

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

though its not fun i think playing a drone is way better than playing inactive owners..

WW drones always come out swinging...

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason for oblivion: sometimes people seem like pretty good owners in pre-season, but end up not taking care of their teams, and - just as bad - not posting. Usually the two go hand in hand. But even if their team was awful they could still say "sure" in the exciting days of next August and re-up, and run their team the same way again, while guys like Shady or Nos would be left out. The "oblivion" rule is a chance for not-really-interested owners to drop out naturally rather than having to be voted out. And if for some reason everybody wanted them back instead, they could come back.

Not being active on the boards doesn't feel like a good reason to kick someone out, but if they're out because that's how the rules went, it's a legit consideration for whether they make it back in.

Now, if at the end of the year the A leaguers really hate to see the bottom two guys go of course they could be voted back in, and it probably also means the B league is in good shape. And if there are a few more guys we'd really like to bring in, a C league would make sense. But it should be set up identical to the A and B leagues, even if there end up being a few drones. Drones are better than bad owners. (The problem is that it won't be much fun to run.)

It's not really about expansion, or about punishment, or about a path back in, but about maintaining a critical mass of quality players/posters in the MBBRL, whatever size it is.

As to who votes on who gets in, regardless of the situation... I think everybody in the A and B leagues should vote, but votes should get multiplied by the number of years in the league. (Those here the longest have the most at stake.)

As the last place team in the B league, I knew the rules going in. Anybody that has played in fantasy leagues with me before knows that I don't make many moves through out the season, but before this year I normally had good teams. In the years that I had a bad team in a league I was trying to end my opponents playoff chances, so the final week of this season my team while be the best I can get and I will be watching the score.

When talking about a C league, you have to ask at what point does it start to get watered down. I enjoy this league because it seems to be a higher level of talent then my normal leagues. Like anything else expansion dilutes the talent level of the players.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the last place team in the B league, I knew the rules going in. Anybody that has played in fantasy leagues with me before knows that I don't make many moves through out the season, but before this year I normally had good teams. In the years that I had a bad team in a league I was trying to end my opponents playoff chances, so the final week of this season my team while be the best I can get and I will be watching the score.

When talking about a C league, you have to ask at what point does it start to get watered down. I enjoy this league because it seems to be a higher level of talent then my normal leagues. Like anything else expansion dilutes the talent level of the players.

Again, before talking about c league lets just see the interest... But who cares if it gets watered down, a watered down c league is no different than oblivion... But it is better because they are actually playing fantasy football...