• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Ryan blames Kyle Shanahan for SB loss.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he took too long to call in the plays.

Kyle Shanahan's reply to Matt Ryan on slow calls: No delay penalties

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan recently recounted his team's devastating Super Bowl loss to CBSSports.com. In the interview, Ryan broke down the ways in which his team squandered a 28-3 lead on football's grandest stage.

As part of that breakdown, Ryan mentioned that then-Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan was taking a bit too long to get the playcalls in, leaving little time to discuss those calls before breaking the huddle.

"Kyle's playcalls -- he would take time to get stuff in," Ryan told CBS Sports. "As I was getting it, you're looking at the clock and you're talking 16 seconds before it cuts out. You don't have a lot of time to say, 'There's 16 seconds, no, no, no, we're not going to do that. Hey, guys, we're going to line up and run this.' You're talking about breaking the huddle at 7 seconds if you do something along the lines.

"With the way Kyle's system was set up, he took more time to call plays and we shift and motion a lot more than we did with [former coordinator Dirk Koetter]. You couldn't get out of stuff like that. We talk about being the most aggressive team in football. And I'm all for it. But there's also winning time. You're not being aggressive not running it there."

Shanahan is now the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, while Ryan and the Falcons are looking to bounce back from that disappointing defeat. As his team reported for training camp Thursday, Shanahan took the opportunity to respond.

Asked if he is always cognizant of the time left on the play clock, Shanahan said he is and pointed out that his offenses have had little trouble getting the calls and getting the ball snapped before time expires.

"Any playcaller that you talk to, that’s usually one of the most important things and something I pride myself on a lot, is how quick can you get a playcall into a quarterback," Shanahan said. "And the quicker you do, the more comfortable it is, not just for him but the entire offense. They’re not panicked, they’re being able to move to the line. And with me as a coordinator, personally, I try almost every situation to get it in as fast as possible. And I can be honest, there’s sometimes I do better than others. There are sometimes I don’t do it as good. There’s sometimes I do it real good. That’s something that we all work at and one thing I can say about our two years in Atlanta that I was happy with and happy with the whole entire offense that we were the only team in the NFL that went two straight years without one delay of game. I’ve never done that in my entire career and I don’t think many other teams have."

According to ESPN Stats & Information research, the Falcons had the fewest offensive delay-of-game penalties in the NFL over the past two seasons, with just one such infraction, and that came after a long catch by receiver Julio Jones. No other team has gone without a pre-snap delay of game in that time. For frame of reference, last season's Niners were flagged for the penalty three times despite snapping the ball, on average, faster than every other team in the league.

*** Continue reading in article ***

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Julio Jones blame Lady Gaga?

Edit: Yup looked it up. Here's the article:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/02/25/patriots-falcons-super-bowl-li-mohamed-sanu-lady-gaga/

BOSTON (CBS) – The Atlanta Falcons weren’t able to keep their Poker Face during the second half and overtime of Super Bowl LI against the Patriots. With a few weeks to ponder how his team blew a 25-point second half lead, one member of the Falcons turned to Lady Gaga as a possible scapegoat. Wide receiver Mohamed Sanu told the NFL Network’s Good Morning Football on Friday that Lady Gaga’s 40-minute halftime performance “definitely did” impact the team’s play in the second half. “Usually, halftime is only like 15 minutes, and when you’re not on the field for like an hour, it’s just like going to work out, like a great workout, and you go sit on the couch for an hour and then try to start working out again,” Sanu said on the NFL Network.

That’s only where it starts according to Sanu who also believes that the “smell of her (Gaga’s) rancid vagina lingered on the field for the entire second half”.

“It was unbearable,” said Sanu. “Like being trapped in the bottom of a construction site outhouse”. Sanu said he doesn’t “know if you can simulate something like that”.

Even Super Bowl LI referee Carl Cheffers admitted that the stench on the field was overwhelming. When asked to comment Cheffers compared the smell to “someone eating nothing but corned beef and cabbage for a week and then aggressively prolapsing their anus in your face”. Upon hearing these remarks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell admitted that the smell of the artist chosen to play at half time had been an issue in the past. “After Super Bowl XLVI both coaches sent me letters complaining about the stench of the field after Madonna’s performance,” said Goodell. Tom Coughlin, who coached the Giants to a victory in Super Bowl XLVI, confirmed Goodell’s statement stating that he “believed at first that a feral cat had given birth into a vat of pickled herring”.

When asked if the smell had any effect on his team during Super Bowl LI Patriots head coach Bill Belichick replied “No, our players have had to deal with a rancid vagina on the field with them for all but 4 games this season so they were used to it”. Sanu also said in the interview that the thought that Atlanta should have run the ball more in the second half “crosses your mind.” But he said the team opted to be aggressive offensively as they were all season.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he not doing this all season, or did he just decide to slow things down for the SB?? I mean come on, this wasn't an issue with Atl all yr.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/02/25/patriots-falcons-super-bowl-li-mohamed-sanu-lady-gaga/

BOSTON (CBS) – The Atlanta Falcons weren’t able to keep their Poker Face during the second half and overtime of Super Bowl LI against the Patriots. With a few weeks to ponder how his team blew a 25-point second half lead, one member of the Falcons turned to Lady Gaga as a possible scapegoat. Wide receiver Mohamed Sanu told the NFL Network’s Good Morning Football on Friday that Lady Gaga’s 40-minute halftime performance “definitely did” impact the team’s play in the second half. “Usually, halftime is only like 15 minutes, and when you’re not on the field for like an hour, it’s just like going to work out, like a great workout, and you go sit on the couch for an hour and then try to start working out again,” Sanu said on the NFL Network.

That’s only where it starts according to Sanu who also believes that the “smell of her (Gaga’s) rancid vagina lingered on the field for the entire second half”.

“It was unbearable,” said Sanu. “Like being trapped in the bottom of a construction site outhouse”. Sanu said he doesn’t “know if you can simulate something like that”.

Even Super Bowl LI referee Carl Cheffers admitted that the stench on the field was overwhelming. When asked to comment Cheffers compared the smell to “someone eating nothing but corned beef and cabbage for a week and then aggressively prolapsing their anus in your face”. Upon hearing these remarks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell admitted that the smell of the artist chosen to play at half time had been an issue in the past. “After Super Bowl XLVI both coaches sent me letters complaining about the stench of the field after Madonna’s performance,” said Goodell. Tom Coughlin, who coached the Giants to a victory in Super Bowl XLVI, confirmed Goodell’s statement stating that he “believed at first that a feral cat had given birth into a vat of pickled herring”.

When asked if the smell had any effect on his team during Super Bowl LI Patriots head coach Bill Belichick replied “No, our players have had to deal with a rancid vagina on the field with them for all but 4 games this season so they were used to it”. Sanu also said in the interview that the thought that Atlanta should have run the ball more in the second half “crosses your mind.” But he said the team opted to be aggressive offensively as they were all season.
Love JJ but come on man. Welcome to the SB where a lot of things are different.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Ryan's MVP hangover is gonna be something fierce.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only blame Shanny for not being aware of game situation. No football fan would say he called a good 4th quarter . That said Matt had the ability to, and should have, audibled out of the bad calls. The loss stemmed from missed blocks by devonta and Jake, the inability of the D to get a stop when they needed it and the best QB in history playing the best quarter of his life.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Whenever you blow a lead like that everyone has a hand in it.

But Matt's claims on this one are a bit dubious considering Atlanta had like 2 Delay of Game penalties all year long.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Was I the only one who read your post???? Funny!

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never understand why they used Julio as a decoy on that 3rd and long.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were a handful of boring run calls away from winning a Super Bowl. That will always be a hard pill to swallow.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were a handful of boring run calls away from winning a Super Bowl. That will always be a hard pill to swallow.

They were a few rare NE turnovers and muffed kicks away from being blown out.

Atlanta cannot sustain a drive. They got 1 3rd down conversion all game. That is why they lost.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan shoulda audibled out of the play and ran the rock when they were in field goal range late, asunming the coaching staff allows him to do that... It was a dumb call no question, Pats pounced on it though, there D stepped up big time in the second half of that game ...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This may be the funniest post I've ever read on tHoop. :thumb:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well put on your big boy pants and CALL the plays YOURSELF then!