• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maryland not exactly embracing Big 10.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like turtles

24571153001.jpg

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I think is gained is TV sets showing more B1G games. I know that should be beneficial to B1G teams, but to what extent, I cannot say. At best they get some good recruits. Good luck with that, I don't think it will exactly pan out well.

It makes me wonder now, just like when it was announced, why the hell take Maryland? Was it because Maryland was the only team that indicated they were willing to go?

Michigan has already dug in and nearly ended up with the top 2 football recruits on the east coast in Jabrill Peppers and Da'Shawn Hand (New Jersey and Virginia--greater D.C. area) for 2014. The B1G expansion played some part in their decisions. The expansion will have an impact.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who wants to embrace slow, fat, white people?

serious question, cause I could use a hug......

:happy:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me exactly where I said the CIC distributes money? I can see how you interpreted that, but I never said distributed.

The CIC is a collaboration of the member institutions. They can get together and do cost savings on purchases, instead of buying one item at X price, the CIC can buy 15 items at a X - discount saving the schools money.

I get a kick how people read things into other people's writings based upon their perceptions.
Actually you did ... see the bold in your post quoted below. You stated it directly, and clearly implied it throughout your post. I get a kick how people can't remember what they typed a few hours earlier.

Originally Posted by HuskerinBig10 View Post
Ding Ding Ding!!

The CIC is the answer. The University of Maryland, which already does pretty well with getting government money, will increase its dollar amount.

The Big Ten received something like $4,600,000,000 because of the CIC in 2011. That does not include Maryland and Rutgers.

Including those two, and assuming because of the scale of the CIC and the breadth of the research offered by the CIC, the thinking is that the total will go to $6,000,000,000.00 plus PER YEAR.

As i have said in numerous posts, the University of Chicago, gets about the SAME amount of government dollars as the University of Texas. Why? The CIC. For you numbskulls out there, the University of Chicago was in the Big Ten until 1946.

The University of Maryland Athletic Dept was in the hole $20,000,000. Even though the fanbase is/was angry at the admin for the move, the fanbase sure does not show it at the athletic venues.

Obviously, the ACC payouts were not helping Maryland get out of the red. I believe Maryland's payout was withheld on the last payment so Maryland made a whopping total of around $32,000,000 in ACC payouts for its final four years in the ACC. That is $8,000,000 per year.

The money from the CIC, which goes DIRECTLY TO THE UNIVERSITY not athletics, will more than makeup for the loss of ACC income. Add to that, the payout from the B1G, which will be more than the ACC payout, Maryland will be in the Black by the end of 2015.

Johns Hopkins is not joining the CIC(yet).

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually you did ... see the bold in your post quoted below. You stated it directly, and clearly implied it throughout your post. I get a kick how people can't remember what they typed a few hours earlier.

I get a kick how you completely misinterpret things.

I said the money from being associated with the CIC goes to the University, not to the Athletic department.

You interpreted as me saying the CIC Bank gave money to Bob Nebraska.

I will try to remember to be much clearer and more concise in my posts for you. I expect you to do the same.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look ... this is what you typed:

The Big Ten received something like $4,600,000,000 because of the CIC in 2011. That does not include Maryland and Rutgers.

The schools in the B1G get 4.5 billion in research funds because each school seeks such grants. They aren't getting them because of the CIC. If you disbanded the CIC tomorrow, you could add the total of research dollars from the former CIC schools, and the number would be effectively the same. You keep adding the research funds of the B1G schools together and acting like this is some largess that comes from the CIC or from CIC membership. It just isn't so. There are way more AAU schools that are not in the CIC that get plenty of research dollars. Jeez ... just go read the mission statement of the CIC, and quit trying to act like your post says something it doesn't say.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Anybody who wants to jump off the boat, just go ahead and GET WET! If you don't want to be in the ACC, then GTFO!

That's how I feel about it. We are going on an epic ride "on the precipice of a golden era" so whoever wants out, GTFO and leave so the rest of us, along with Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and ND can enjoy the ride ever so much more.

If you are unhappy, make like a tree and LEAVE. It is a free country.

No, I'm good with staying ACC. I think the expansion cards have played right this past couple years, and am satisfied with the results.

After Maryland leaves and Louisville arrives, we are still at 14.5 members. I guess we are waiting on ND to tell us who they want us to add for them to agree to become full members also. I don't know.

As for anyone else wanting to leave, I would be surprised if any actually do. I feel bad for Maryland fans. But there it is.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also opened the ACC to new thinking in that now we don't need to invite only schools on the eastern seaboard. Picking up Louisville, the top money making BB school in the country by far, and Notre Dame really has put the ACC in a driver's seat also.

The B1G poached our territory and we just poached them back. The backstab works both ways. But we definitely made out like bandits. You got Maryland and Rutgers. We got Louisville and ND. Sounds good to me.
On the field I would agree, but when you get into football money and its TV deals? No, The ACC lost the DC/Baltimore market for any future tv deals and in return got.....Louisville KY. Don't get me wrong, I respect UL's program but the TV market and money it could bring compared to DC/Baltimore? Not close, the BIG killed the ACC on that one. Notre Dame is still Indy in football (the big money maker) the ACC will see little if any of the kind of money the ND brand could bring to the conference as a full member.

Now as far as basketball? Agree 100% great move

Last edited by a moderator:

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can have Paul Johnson and his "miracle" offense of 3 and punt along with his lay down defenses if they want him. You guys really do need to fire him. Do you realize where GT could be right now if you had gotten rid of PJ a long time ago? I see a whole lot of 7-5 seasons in Tech's future until they finally get rid of him.

Calvin Johnson and a whole host of WRs in the NFL came from Tech. And PJ wastes these guys talent horribly.

AND - NO WAY THEY'RE GETTING CLEMSON AND VT!!!! :yahoo:

GT could field a full slate of 1 star players and would STILL manage to beat UNC.

Unfortunately, right now it's just a slate of 2 star players. And that's the difference between success and the perpetual 7-5 season we see now. PJ took Gailey's 3-4 star recruits and did a good job with them. Hell, Nesbitt was recruited to be a drop back pocket passer in Gailey's pro set offense, who knew he would be able to transition to a full time run game?

After numerous seasons of 7-5 with Gailey, I was FOR the Great Experiment on The Flats - "Let's see if the Paul Johnson offense will work for GT". It did,but only with good recruits. Say what you like about Chan, he could recruit well, except for QBs apparently. So after Chan's boys left, we struggle to win 7. I also didn't count on PJs stubbornness in not trying something new. I initially thought our offense would be run first offense, and I was fine with that. I didn't realize that we would be a "Run the same damn thing every time" offense. I thought at the beginning of this season that we had turned a corner with incorporating the Pistol and Star formations. But I have to honestly say that I haven't seen them called once in the past 7 games. :gaah:

Meanwhile, Jeff Monken at Georgia Southern just beat Florida with the same base offense, but he changes stuff up well and to be honest, GSU looks better on offense than GT. We play them next year after they step up to FBS. I do not know that we will win.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GT could field a full slate of 1 star players and would STILL manage to beat UNC.

Unfortunately, right now it's just a slate of 2 star players. And that's the difference between success and the perpetual 7-5 season we see now. PJ took Gailey's 3-4 star recruits and did a good job with them. Hell, Nesbitt was recruited to be a drop back pocket passer in Gailey's pro set offense, who knew he would be able to transition to a full time run game?

After numerous seasons of 7-5 with Gailey, I was FOR the Great Experiment on The Flats - "Let's see if the Paul Johnson offense will work for GT". It did,but only with good recruits. Say what you like about Chan, he could recruit well, except for QBs apparently. So after Chan's boys left, we struggle to win 7. I also didn't count on PJs stubbornness in not trying something new. I initially thought our offense would be run first offense, and I was fine with that. I didn't realize that we would be a "Run the same damn thing every time" offense. I thought at the beginning of this season that we had turned a corner with incorporating the Pistol and Star formations. But I have to honestly say that I haven't seen them called once in the past 7 games. :gaah:

Meanwhile, Jeff Monken at Georgia Southern just beat Florida with the same base offense, but he changes stuff up well and to be honest, GSU looks better on offense than GT. We play them next year after they step up to FBS. I do not know that we will win.

Johnson's offense was good for GT until everybody else learned how to beat it. If 7-5/6-7 seasons are okay with you, then go for it. I look for Fedora to eventually get UNC past that 7-5/6-6 era we are stuck in. PJ is going to take you guys nowhere but down until you finally wake up and get rid of him.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look ... this is what you typed:

The schools in the B1G get 4.5 billion in research funds because each school seeks such grants. They aren't getting them because of the CIC. If you disbanded the CIC tomorrow, you could add the total of research dollars from the former CIC schools, and the number would be effectively the same. You keep adding the research funds of the B1G schools together and acting like this is some largess that comes from the CIC or from CIC membership. It just isn't so. There are way more AAU schools that are not in the CIC that get plenty of research dollars. Jeez ... just go read the mission statement of the CIC, and quit trying to act like your post says something it doesn't say.

You seem to be a person that needs to argue. You have quite a few posts today where you are arguing with others. You are being way to literal.

You are the one that is saying my post says something I did not even type, all based upon your own mis-interpretation. You said I said distributed. I checked my post a hundred times I never said the word distributed.

It is much easier to say CIC as an all encompassing umbrella for research dollars, in my case I was quoting federal research dollars not private sector research dollars for the FY 2011. Being in the CIC grants access to facilities, faculty, and libraries from the other Universities. Being in the CIC also tries to get the universities to work together for grants, instead of against each other.

Here you go from the CIC website

Impact of the CIC

RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT EXPENDITURES FY 2012
Total R&D $9,300,000,000

Also, the CIC has on the website a dollar amount for salaries, wages, and benefits

$22,000,000,000

So, based up on your mis-interpretations, the CIC should not be allowed to even write that the CIC has an impact of $9,300,000,000 and how can the CIC claim salaries and benefits of $22,000,000,000?

Not bad for a group with 20 employees in the staff directory.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson's offense was good for GT until everybody else learned how to beat it. If 7-5/6-7 seasons are okay with you, then go for it. I look for Fedora to eventually get UNC past that 7-5/6-6 era we are stuck in. PJ is going to take you guys nowhere but down until you finally wake up and get rid of him.

That's the point, it can be beat. It is up to the coach to realize he needs to change things up at that point. Every team does this, it's not the offense that is the problem, but the head coach that is too stubborn to make any change.

And I don't look for PJs contract to be renewed. We don't have them cash for a buyout at the moment, but that doesn't mean we have to extend him either,