• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maryland not exactly embracing Big 10.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I think is gained is TV sets showing more B1G games. I know that should be beneficial to B1G teams, but to what extent, I cannot say. At best they get some good recruits. Good luck with that, I don't think it will exactly pan out well.

It makes me wonder now, just like when it was announced, why the hell take Maryland? Was it because Maryland was the only team that indicated they were willing to go?

Just remember. Delaney wants you as part of his next push.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ARE completely wrong on that. I would say it was probably 95% in favor of getting out of the Texas Conference. We all hated losing the Oklahoma rivalry, but the Big 12 terminated that in 1996.

Dan Nero Beebe, the then commissioner of the Big 12, was despised in Nebraska because all he was was a Texas Dick Smoker. Beebe hated Nebraska. Beebe wore Texas sweatshirts. Beebe's kids went to Texas for free. We knew he was a Texas Dick Smoker for years. We called him a Texas Dick Smoker for years. The rest of the conference was happy to keep him until Nebraska left.

There is a reason why the rest of the Big 12 DEMANDED that Dan Nero Beebe be terminated in September 2011. Unfortunately for the Big 12 it took the leaving of three schools(Colorado, Nebraska, A&M) for the other members of the Big 12(minus Texas of course) to realize that Dan Nero Beebe was a Texas Dick Smoker. Texas enjoyed having Beebe smoke their Dick.

I know a lot of Nebraska fans had it with UT by the time they left the B12, but I don't recall a huge amount of excitement about joining the B1G. From what I remember (just from the people I personally know) they were a bit split about it. I don't think there's any question that almost every Nebraska fan is happy about the home they found now.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just made my point. In football yes VT is very large in the area. With FSU and Clemson being behind them. VA is not locked down to VT as it once used to be.

Besides possible TV revenue what did the BIG gain?

It prevented the ACC from completely owning the entire eastern seaboard and it prevented the B1G from being completely saddled with midwest states and no real expansion opportunity (ex: the B12).

The conference will gain TV revenue and thats the first thing everyone always talks about with this move.

But more importantly than that, it was a defensive move to make sure the B1G wasn't cut off from future expansions. If the ACC locks up the entire east from Miami up to Boston and into Pittsburgh, where does the B1G expand its market presence? Can't go south with the SEC right here, their eastern flank is locked off with a strong ACC in that case, and barring a huge change of opinion with OU and UT there aren't many attractive options to the south/west. The B1G would have been cut off. Thats what this move was all about. The icing on the cake is that they could grab 2 schools to keep divisions even, increase tv market share, expand geography, and the 2 schools are very strong academically. It's a win all around AND it keeps the ACC relatively vulnerable or at minimum keeps the B1G's options open.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In defense of the Big 10 argument, they are correct.

Washington DC is a Terrapin town.
Under no circumstances is it a Hokie town. It is not even remotely close.
Tech has a presence no doubt, but it is a fraction of the Maryland presence.

The University of Maryland is 10 minutes from the city.
VA Tech is over 4 hours away from the city.

The counties on the Maryland side are more generational and established.
There is far more of the "old money" establishment and blue collar multiple generations.
People tend to self identify as MARYLANDERs on that side.

The Virginia side of the river tends to attract more transience.
It is a newer growth oriented vibe with lots more sprawl and change.
There is less old money and less blue collar. It is white collar upper middle class transience.
It actually has a significant foreign born population as well.
People tend to self identify with where they came initially rather than VIRGINIANS.

Richmond and the Tidewater areas is where you find the large Virginia localism and generational families who self identify as VIRGINIANS first. Virginia Tech would give those markets PLUS some of the DC market.

So overall, Tech might give more......if you add in Richmond and the Tidewater

Yeah, but Maryland is Maryland and they still suck. They aren't getting any better by playing Ohio State and Michigan than they will playing FSU and VT.

And VT is GOOD. So much of that fanbase could very well turn toward VT in the distant future.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It prevented the ACC from completely owning the entire eastern seaboard and it prevented the B1G from being completely saddled with midwest states and no real expansion opportunity (ex: the B12).

The conference will gain TV revenue and thats the first thing everyone always talks about with this move.

This^
Some fans in the BIG will make fun of and not like the move but when new facilities and other money projects begin to make your program better by having that DC market and the NY market with RU for that matter, those people will be changing their tunes.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But more importantly than that, it was a defensive move to make sure the B1G wasn't cut off from future expansions. If the ACC locks up the entire east from Miami up to Boston and into Pittsburgh, where does the B1G expand its market presence? Can't go south with the SEC right here, their eastern flank is locked off with a strong ACC in that case, and barring a huge change of opinion with OU and UT there aren't many attractive options to the south/west. The B1G would have been cut off. Thats what this move was all about. The icing on the cake is that they could grab 2 schools to keep divisions even, increase tv market share, expand geography, and the 2 schools are very strong academically. It's a win all around AND it keeps the ACC relatively vulnerable or at minimum keeps the B1G's options open.

It also opened the ACC to new thinking in that now we don't need to invite only schools on the eastern seaboard. Picking up Louisville, the top money making BB school in the country by far, and Notre Dame really has put the ACC in a driver's seat also.

The B1G poached our territory and we just poached them back. The backstab works both ways. But we definitely made out like bandits. You got Maryland and Rutgers. We got Louisville and ND. Sounds good to me.

mallard666

Gurney Repairman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All-out-of-shame is behind all this. He and o-dix were the queens of multiple identities. I'd bet at least 50% of the naysayers on the inter-tubes they received were all-out-of-shame.

A classic troll from the espn boards for those that are wondering. He hated osu, psu and tDucks with a passion.

:think:

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while the ACC is a good academic league. theres a lot more to it than that. the ACC & b10 have two completely different style of academics. Maryland's follows b10 style academics (an emphasis on international branding and heavy research).

I took a tour of one of their degree programs and the guides brought up comparisons to b10 schools while hardly mentioning ACC schools.

maryland is a cultural fit in the ACC for athletics, however they are a total academic outlier in that conference.

They were the only ACC school (except pitt) who had a higher arwu ranking than a us news ranking. Maryland listed only a single ACC school (UNC) as its peer. To put that in perspective Michigan listed every b10 member except nebraska plus the two other CIC members as its peer. And thats not just a b10 thing.......

alabama lists 11 fellow SEC schools as peer institutions as well.

the maryland admins made an academic's driven move and they don't need to explain shit to the athletic boosters or player alumni. this is a school that has an $819 mill endowment, just completed a 5 year $950 mill funding drive, and takes in about $500 mill in research each year. They made their decision and IMO it was the right call.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't make-up figures/pull numbers out of you-know-where..........you do realize that by doing this you destroy any credibility your post might have had?.............the article you linked to clearly states that last November, the polls showed it was 70 - 30 against-----again, that was a year ago........and from every report/story I've seen over the past several months, the Maryland fan base apparently has slowly/gradually been warming-up to the move to the B1G.......which translated, means it's definitely better than last November's 70 - 30 figure!........how much better?.....I don't friggin' know!...but rest assured, I am not going to make-up a figure, and 'guess' how much better than 70 - 30.

I'm reminded of the old joke: 70% of all statistics are made up on the spot by 64% of people that produce false statistics 54% of the time they produce them.

I found half of that post hilarious.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ding Ding Ding!!

The CIC is the answer. The University of Maryland, which already does pretty well with getting government money, will increase its dollar amount.

The Big Ten received something like $4,600,000,000 because of the CIC in 2011. That does not include Maryland and Rutgers.

Including those two, and assuming because of the scale of the CIC and the breadth of the research offered by the CIC, the thinking is that the total will go to $6,000,000,000.00 plus PER YEAR.

As i have said in numerous posts, the University of Chicago, gets about the SAME amount of government dollars as the University of Texas. Why? The CIC. For you numbskulls out there, the University of Chicago was in the Big Ten until 1946.

The University of Maryland Athletic Dept was in the hole $20,000,000. Even though the fanbase is/was angry at the admin for the move, the fanbase sure does not show it at the athletic venues.

Obviously, the ACC payouts were not helping Maryland get out of the red. I believe Maryland's payout was withheld on the last payment so Maryland made a whopping total of around $32,000,000 in ACC payouts for its final four years in the ACC. That is $8,000,000 per year.

The money from the CIC, which goes DIRECTLY TO THE UNIVERSITY not athletics, will more than makeup for the loss of ACC income. Add to that, the payout from the B1G, which will be more than the ACC payout, Maryland will be in the Black by the end of 2015.

Johns Hopkins is not joining the CIC(yet).
Wrong... The CIC does not distribute money. It is a research and resource sharing arrangement. It does not seek grants for its members. Look it up.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we bring Clemson and VT?

They can have Paul Johnson and his "miracle" offense of 3 and punt along with his lay down defenses if they want him. You guys really do need to fire him. Do you realize where GT could be right now if you had gotten rid of PJ a long time ago? I see a whole lot of 7-5 seasons in Tech's future until they finally get rid of him.

Calvin Johnson and a whole host of WRs in the NFL came from Tech. And PJ wastes these guys talent horribly.

AND - NO WAY THEY'RE GETTING CLEMSON AND VT!!!! :yahoo:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong... The CIC does not distribute money. It is a research and resource sharing arrangement. It does not seek grants for its members. Look it up.

The CIC doesn't need to seek anything from anyone. It will be a great thing academically for Maryland. Access to a whole world of knowledge and the ability to participate in research programs that are as good or better than anything Harvard has.

Maryland should be okay in the B1G. But the B1G isn't the savior of the world. If it were, Notre Dame would have joined them long ago.

Maryland could have stayed in bed with the prestigious ACC or jumped into the bed with the B1G. They chose the latter.

Good luck and good riddance! We'll gladly take Louisville instead of Md., no problem there!

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can have Paul Johnson and his "miracle" offense of 3 and punt along with his lay down defenses if they want him. You guys really do need to fire him. Do you realize where GT could be right now if you had gotten rid of PJ a long time ago? I see a whole lot of 7-5 seasons in Tech's future until they finally get rid of him.

Calvin Johnson and a whole host of WRs in the NFL came from Tech. And PJ wastes these guys talent horribly.

AND - NO WAY THEY'RE GETTING CLEMSON AND VT!!!! :yahoo:

VT fans here might disagree with you.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the academic leaders decide what is right for the athletics?

Don't get angry at Maryland fans Tarheels. Maryland fans don't want to leave.
Get mad at the horrible leadership of the Terrapins.

They are hoping this solves all their mismanagement and comedic error.
It is the classic "THROW MONEY AT IT" solution. There is no guarantee it works.

The ACC is on the precipice of a golden era with vastly improved athletics to match its unparalled academics. No other league should feel more excited about its future.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT fans here might disagree with you.

Don't get angry at Maryland fans Tarheels. Maryland fans don't want to leave.
Get mad at the horrible leadership of the Terrapins.

They are hoping this solves all their mismanagement and comedic error.
It is the classic "THROW MONEY AT IT" solution. There is no guarantee it works.

The ACC is on the precipice of a golden era with vastly improved athletics to match its unparalled academics. No other league should feel more excited about its future.

Exactly. Anybody who wants to jump off the boat, just go ahead and GET WET! If you don't want to be in the ACC, then GTFO!

That's how I feel about it. We are going on an epic ride "on the precipice of a golden era" so whoever wants out, GTFO and leave so the rest of us, along with Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and ND can enjoy the ride ever so much more.

If you are unhappy, make like a tree and LEAVE. It is a free country.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CIC doesn't need to seek anything from anyone. It will be a great thing academically for Maryland. Access to a whole world of knowledge and the ability to participate in research programs that are as good or better than anything Harvard has.

Maryland should be okay in the B1G. But the B1G isn't the savior of the world. If it were, Notre Dame would have joined them long ago.

Maryland could have stayed in bed with the prestigious ACC or jumped into the bed with the B1G. They chose the latter.

Good luck and good riddance! We'll gladly take Louisville instead of Md., no problem there!
I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with me, but I can assure that the above posts are wrong about the CIC delivering millions of dollars in grants to Maryland. It just doesn't work that way. Is being a member of the CIC a good thing? Of course, I never said otherwise. I just get humored when people act like the CIC distributes money to the schools like the B1G does to schools athletics. It just doesn't work that way.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with your conference pride. I wanted expansion to end 2 years ago.

In my opinion. The B1Gshould have stopped with Nebraska, and then led the way in finally getting the Rust Belt to reach out to its inner cities. I don't just mean the black community, either. There's all kinds of kids in Milwaukee, Chicago, and Detroit who don't play organized sports because they don't have money or support from family. Why should religious institutions be the only ones who bulid bigass community centers. Give the urban kids a chance academically and athletically and not only will sports thrive, but their communities might finally have a chance.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In most instances fan bases resist change. Maryland had a long history in the ACC and giving up traditional rivals and comfort is not an easy hurdle.

But B1G has split the conference in a way that guarantees Rutgers and Maryland get great conference home games every year. OSU and MSU or UofM and PSU. The national recognition of the B1G and TV exposure will help. As will the cash to help the non revenue sports stay afloat.

The fact the B1G may still be expanding in the future on the East Coast should also be factored in.

And no matter what the split is in polling the fact the #1 booster and UA guy Kevin Plank likes the move and has put his cash up to prove the point. I have no doubt the exposure of UA gear will help any short term fiscal loss.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with me, but I can assure that the above posts are wrong about the CIC delivering millions of dollars in grants to Maryland. It just doesn't work that way. Is being a member of the CIC a good thing? Of course, I never said otherwise. I just get humored when people act like the CIC distributes money to the schools like the B1G does to schools athletics. It just doesn't work that way.

Show me exactly where I said the CIC distributes money? I can see how you interpreted that, but I never said distributed.

The CIC is a collaboration of the member institutions. They can get together and do cost savings on purchases, instead of buying one item at X price, the CIC can buy 15 items at a X - discount saving the schools money.

I get a kick how people read things into other people's writings based upon their perceptions.