• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maryland not exactly embracing Big 10.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite quote was also pointed out from radio

"....maybe the most significant result will be that we have disrupted the [Maryland] fan base and that a new fan base, equally dedicated to excellence and success but more civilized will....."

That is a resounding FFF U to the terps fan base.

Quality leadership at its best.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize this is all about the story from ONE year ago? This is NOT current news, but a recount of what happened in November 2012?

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some more news. Maryland still sucks.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The emails were finally released this week.

it is older stuff, but it is really troublesome to read through the emails.

MARYLAND is a completely different animal than either Nebraska, Colorado, Rutgers, Lousiville, or even A&M.

The Big 12 and Big East were complete messes.

Those schools and fanbases wanted out and approved the moves 100%

The Terps were a founding member for 60 years of a league with deep ties.

it seems like the Terrapin leadership blindly ignored any input from COACHES, FANS, ALUMNI, and BOOSTERS.

In fact, they treated them with contempt and arrogance.

Even now, the Big 10 move is about 95-5 against......there is a gloomy resigned acceptance at best.

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even now, the Big 10 move is about 95-5 against......there is a gloomy resigned acceptance at best.

You sure this isn't about those uni's they started wearing?

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounded more like an academic identity thing more than an athletics thing. The resource sharing in the CIC is, I am to understand, a pretty big deal.

Apparently Johns Hopkins is trying to get in on it, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland fans must HATE cash for athletics and academics.... I guess it is better to play Wake Forest in front of 23K people and not make any money than it is to play Indiana in front of 23K people and go roll around in your money pool after???

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Financially, it is a fantastic move for them. Their average home stadium attendance is 38k, with a capacity of 51k. And you have to figure that the B1G fans will come to those games. There are quite probably a lot of B1G alumni in the Metro DC area. So if they can sell 13k tix times 7 home games times $30 per tix, That alone is a $2.7 million dollar per year increase in revenue. Not even counting parking fees, concession stands fees, etc.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Johns Hopkins is trying to get in on it, too.

Yup, since Johns Hopkins is joining the B1G for Lacrosse only, JH is going to apply for CIC membership.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not bashing the Big 10.
It is a fine league. And the loss of tradition goes both ways.
Some Big 10 teams probably aren't all that jazzed about losing Michigan and Ohio State games.

Maryland is just the one move that makes little sense for anything other than CASH.

NEBRASKA was a strong cultural fit with the Midwestern centric Big 10. Plus, the Big 12 was always sort of shotgun marriage and relatively weak on tradition.
COLORADO had dreamed of being in the PAC-12 forever.
RUTGERS was in a sinking ship called the Big East.
Only A&M had any real pause, but it was more of the Texas-Aggie relationship rather than the Big 12. They believe that one day Texas-TexasA&M will be played again.

Maryland is different.
They were already in a high quality academic league (maybe the best) with great traditions.
With Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Pitt joining. The Academics hardly seemed bad.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not bashing the Big 10.
It is a fine league. And the loss of tradition goes both ways.
Some Big 10 teams probably aren't all that jazzed about losing Michigan and Ohio State games.

Maryland is just the one move that makes little sense for anything other than CASH.

NEBRASKA was a strong cultural fit with the Midwestern centric Big 10. Plus, the Big 12 was always sort of shotgun marriage and relatively weak on tradition.
COLORADO had dreamed of being in the PAC-12 forever.
RUTGERS was in a sinking ship called the Big East.
Only A&M had any real pause, but it was more of the Texas-Aggie relationship rather than the Big 12. They believe that one day Texas-TexasA&M will be played again.

Maryland is different.
They were already in a high quality academic league (maybe the best) with great traditions.
With Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Pitt joining. The Academics hardly seemed bad.

I dont think its about the quality of academics Horns. ACC has GREAT academic schools. Its about the money the B10 schools get from the CIC. Add to that the better TV deal for the B10 and the revenues from the B10 network and its tough to pass up. I mean if the University is willing to potentialy have to pay a 50 million dollar exit fee that tells you how much more substantial the cash is.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounded more like an academic identity thing more than an athletics thing. The resource sharing in the CIC is, I am to understand, a pretty big deal.

Apparently Hopkins is trying to get in on it, too.

Ding Ding Ding!!

The CIC is the answer. The University of Maryland, which already does pretty well with getting government money, will increase its dollar amount.

The Big Ten received something like $4,600,000,000 because of the CIC in 2011. That does not include Maryland and Rutgers.

Including those two, and assuming because of the scale of the CIC and the breadth of the research offered by the CIC, the thinking is that the total will go to $6,000,000,000.00 plus PER YEAR.

As i have said in numerous posts, the University of Chicago, gets about the SAME amount of government dollars as the University of Texas. Why? The CIC. For you numbskulls out there, the University of Chicago was in the Big Ten until 1946.

The University of Maryland Athletic Dept was in the hole $20,000,000. Even though the fanbase is/was angry at the admin for the move, the fanbase sure does not show it at the athletic venues.

Obviously, the ACC payouts were not helping Maryland get out of the red. I believe Maryland's payout was withheld on the last payment so Maryland made a whopping total of around $32,000,000 in ACC payouts for its final four years in the ACC. That is $8,000,000 per year.

The money from the CIC, which goes DIRECTLY TO THE UNIVERSITY not athletics, will more than makeup for the loss of ACC income. Add to that, the payout from the B1G, which will be more than the ACC payout, Maryland will be in the Black by the end of 2015.

Johns Hopkins is not joining the CIC(yet).

Last edited by a moderator:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The emails were finally released this week.

Please don't make-up figures/pull numbers out of you-know-where..........you do realize that by doing this you destroy any credibility your post might have had?.............the article you linked to clearly states that last November, the polls showed it was 70 - 30 against-----again, that was a year ago........and from every report/story I've seen over the past several months, the Maryland fan base apparently has slowly/gradually been warming-up to the move to the B1G.......which translated, means it's definitely better than last November's 70 - 30 figure!........how much better?.....I don't friggin' know!...but rest assured, I am not going to make-up a figure, and 'guess' how much better than 70 - 30.

I'm reminded of the old joke: 70% of all statistics are made up on the spot by 64% of people that produce false statistics 54% of the time they produce them.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THat is all good and well.

But, it doesn't excuse the leadership from labeling its fans as "UNCIVILIZED".

They essentially dismissed the Maryland fanbase as uncontrollable barbarians who need their strategic vision to lead them into proper behavior and integrity.

Who cares if Maryland fans are against the move?

These great CIVILIZED leaders know what it is best for the unwashed masses.

FFF that guy.

Once these emails start filtering out to the state, a small part of me hopes some of the UNCIVILIZED masses decide to burn some couches in front of his house.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THat is all good and well.

But, it doesn't excuse the leadership from labeling its fans as "UNCIVILIZED".

They essentially dismissed the Maryland fanbase as uncontrollable barbarians who need their strategic vision to lead them into proper behavior and integrity.

Who cares if Maryland fans are against the move?

These great CIVILIZED leaders know what it is best for the unwashed masses.

FFF that guy.

Once these emails start filtering out to the state, a small part of me hopes some of the UNCIVILIZED masses decide to burn some couches in front of his house.

I didnt know West Virginia was joining the B10??? LOL

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would sure show those blue-blooded fatcats who's uncivilized!

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't make-up figures/pull numbers out of you-know-where..........you do realize that by doing this you destroy any credibility your post might have had?.............the article you linked to clearly states that last November, the polls showed it was 70 - 30 against-----again, that was a year ago........and from every report/story I've seen over the past several months, the Maryland fan base apparently has slowly/gradually been warming-up to the move to the B1G.......which translated, means it's definitely better than last November's 70 - 30 figure!........how much better?.....I don't friggin' know!...but rest assured, I am not going to make-up a figure, and 'guess' how much better than 70 - 30.

I'm reminded of the old joke: 70% of all statistics are made up on the spot by 64% of people that produce false statistics 54% of the time they produce them.

Are you speaking of truth.org? :dhd:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uh oh......we'll see some organized protests/activities such as:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJV7hr2P5EE]Christmas critters - YouTube[/ame]