• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maryland not exactly embracing Big 10.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland fans are uncivilized. We cuss up a storm in Madison, but the Terps fans actually mean it.... We're just doing it because we think it's hilarious. Also, their teams suck. This was all about getting tB1G into the DC area. I want VT and GT if I have to swallow this Maryland shit. Otherwise can we forget about it? There is zero tradition in this move. Rutgers....okay. Syracuse would be alright. But Maryland?? Come awwwn maaan.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting for Jim Delaney to announce that the Maryland addition was a joke and we're actually stealing FSU and GT from the ACC instead.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Nebraska fans weren't all jazzed about joining the B1G. I know PSU fans were split on it. It'll grow on them. The B1G is a great conference and its the best possible move for UMD.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting for Jim Delaney to announce that the Maryland addition was a joke and we're actually stealing FSU and GT from the ACC instead.

When I initially read they'd poached Maryland, my immediate gut reaction was "They're priming the pump to take UVA".

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Nebraska fans weren't all jazzed about joining the B1G. I know PSU fans were split on it. It'll grow on them. The B1G is a great conference and its the best possible move for UMD.

You ARE completely wrong on that. I would say it was probably 95% in favor of getting out of the Texas Conference. We all hated losing the Oklahoma rivalry, but the Big 12 terminated that in 1996.

Dan Nero Beebe, the then commissioner of the Big 12, was despised in Nebraska because all he was was a Texas Dick Smoker. Beebe hated Nebraska. Beebe wore Texas sweatshirts. Beebe's kids went to Texas for free. We knew he was a Texas Dick Smoker for years. We called him a Texas Dick Smoker for years. The rest of the conference was happy to keep him until Nebraska left.

There is a reason why the rest of the Big 12 DEMANDED that Dan Nero Beebe be terminated in September 2011. Unfortunately for the Big 12 it took the leaving of three schools(Colorado, Nebraska, A&M) for the other members of the Big 12(minus Texas of course) to realize that Dan Nero Beebe was a Texas Dick Smoker. Texas enjoyed having Beebe smoke their Dick.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an article today

Maryland men's soccer coach Sasho Cirovski, who chairs a committee of the university's coaches, said in a recent interview that he hasn't "heard any negativity other than in the first few days, when everyone was shocked."

Cirovski said lacrosse was "the one we were all concerned about," because the ACC is a powerhouse in the sport. But he said those fears have dissipated with the Big Ten's plans to add lacrosse as an official sport and to include Johns Hopkins as an affiliate member for men's lacrosse.

Maryland will make nearly $100 million more during its first six years in the Big Ten than if it had remained in the ACC, according to internal emails. Financial stability was a major impetus for the move.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ten fans don't want them anyway. They bring absolutely nothing to the table in terms of athletics. Unless you consider ugly ass jerseys something.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ten fans don't want them anyway. They bring absolutely nothing to the table in terms of athletics. Unless you consider ugly ass jerseys something.

They bring geography.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They bring geography.

Geography that will not reap many rewards for the BIG. Even without Maryland the ACC will still own the DC area. That is what makes this move so funny to me. Between VT, FSU, and Clemson it will still be owned in football. Between Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse it will still be owned in basketball.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geography that will not reap many rewards for the BIG. Even without Maryland the ACC will still own the DC area. That is what makes this move so funny to me. Between VT, FSU, and Clemson it will still be owned in football. Between Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse it will still be owned in basketball.

Please. DC is VT first and everyone else a distant second. I bet there are as many alum from B1G schools as ACC if you take out VT and UVA.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please. DC is VT first and everyone else a distant second. I bet there are as many alum from B1G schools as ACC if you take out VT and UVA.

You just made my point. In football yes VT is very large in the area. With FSU and Clemson being behind them. VA is not locked down to VT as it once used to be.

Besides possible TV revenue what did the BIG gain?

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting grounds and TV markets. Thank-you Rutgers and Maryland.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just made my point. In football yes VT is very large in the area. With FSU and Clemson being behind them. VA is not locked down to VT as it once used to be.

Besides possible TV revenue what did the BIG gain?

I never said it was anything but tv revenue... And are you really telling me that Clemson and FSU have more fans and alum in DC than any of the B1G schools? Because it seemed like you were going there... It seemed like you wete trying to claim the DC market is all ACC, when really all we have to do is snag VT.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said it was anything but tv revenue... And are you really telling me that Clemson and FSU have more fans and alum in DC than any of the B1G schools? Because it seemed like you were going there... It seemed like you wete trying to claim the DC market is all ACC, when really all we have to do is snag VT.

Not worried about a fan base. Talking recruiting grounds which many BIG fans seem to think they will get. That is not the case. TV revenue is just fine which is what this is actually about. The recruiting footprint will not bring the BIG anything. Maybe some players will choose MAryland instead of VT, Clemson, or FSU. But the other BIG schools are not going to gain anything of note that they currently cannot get.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I think is gained is TV sets showing more B1G games. I know that should be beneficial to B1G teams, but to what extent, I cannot say. At best they get some good recruits. Good luck with that, I don't think it will exactly pan out well.

It makes me wonder now, just like when it was announced, why the hell take Maryland? Was it because Maryland was the only team that indicated they were willing to go?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In defense of the Big 10 argument, they are correct.

Washington DC is a Terrapin town.
Under no circumstances is it a Hokie town. It is not even remotely close.
Tech has a presence no doubt, but it is a fraction of the Maryland presence.

The University of Maryland is 10 minutes from the city.
VA Tech is over 4 hours away from the city.

The counties on the Maryland side are more generational and established.
There is far more of the "old money" establishment and blue collar multiple generations.
People tend to self identify as MARYLANDERs on that side.

The Virginia side of the river tends to attract more transience.
It is a newer growth oriented vibe with lots more sprawl and change.
There is less old money and less blue collar. It is white collar upper middle class transience.
It actually has a significant foreign born population as well.
People tend to self identify with where they came initially rather than VIRGINIANS.

Richmond and the Tidewater areas is where you find the large Virginia localism and generational families who self identify as VIRGINIANS first. Virginia Tech would give those markets PLUS some of the DC market.

So overall, Tech might give more......if you add in Richmond and the Tidewater

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worried about a fan base. Talking recruiting grounds which many BIG fans seem to think they will get. That is not the case. TV revenue is just fine which is what this is actually about. The recruiting footprint will not bring the BIG anything. Maybe some players will choose MAryland instead of VT, Clemson, or FSU. But the other BIG schools are not going to gain anything of note that they currently cannot get.

Ah okay. As a Badger fan I wasn't really counting on Mar uland. More worried about losing our presence in New Jersey because of Rutgers.