• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Martinez Invited to Manning QB camp/Black Unis

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McKewon: QB coach sees progress from Martinez - Omaha.com

LINCOLN — As Nebraska tries to land a quarterback for its 2013 class and I'm waxing philosophic on 2012 walk-on Ryker Fyfe, the Husker signal-caller who's actually started 25 games — Taylor Martinez — continues a quest to improve his throwing mechanics. Steve Calhoun, the Los Angeles-area quarterback coach who spent a week with Martinez in the spring, got three more weeks with the junior in May. And Calhoun helped get Martinez an invite to the mid-July Manning Passing Academy, where Calhoun will work as a camp assistant.
The private coach's verdict so far?

“People are going to be quite surprised in how far he's come in such a short time,” Calhoun said.
Martinez focused on his footwork in the thrice-weekly workouts. On Mondays, Calhoun took Martinez through every kind of drop he might have in NU's offense — including bootlegs — without throwing to any receivers. Then Calhoun brought in receivers to see how well Martinez's “muscle memory” from the Monday workouts settled in.
The two worked on Martinez's deep-pass accuracy by placing trash cans all over the practice field as Calhoun coached Martinez to guide the ball better without throwing it harder.
“Taylor has such a strong arm,” Calhoun said. “On the 25-yard fade routes, he did a much better job of guiding the ball. You just saw his eyes light up when he got it.”
Calhoun, who also works with Washington's Keith Price and Florida State's E.J. Manuel, communicated with NU offensive coordinator Tim Beck twice a week during Martinez's sessions. Everybody's on the same page here. Ditto for the Manning Passing Academy, a four-day, invite-only crash course in QB mechanics, tactics and leadership. Archie, Eli and Peyton Manning all generally appear at the event. That's a Heisman Trophy and three Super Bowl rings.
“It's going to be tremendous for him to be around other top quarterbacks and be around the Mannings,” Calhoun said. Price and Manuel will be there, too.
Will it help? Check back Sept. 1. Better yet, Sept. 8, when Martinez heads back to L.A. to play UCLA, a school that spurned him out of Corona Centennial High School.
Nebraska can and should tout its senior leadership. But to win this year's Big Ten crown, Martinez, still only a junior, has to throw the ball more often and more accurately. You know it. He knows it. His coaches know it. And, if nothing else, Martinez is shelling out money to Calhoun and the Mannings and putting in a hard summer's work to do something about it.
Alternate uniforms
The design appears set on Nebraska's 2012 alternate uniform.
“We know pretty much what they're going to look like,” NU Athletic Director Tom Osborne said in an interview Wednesday. He didn't want to give many more details.
Is there black in it?
“I would imagine so,” he said. How much Osborne wouldn't say.
Osborne knows which game NU will wear them, too. He's holding off an announcement because of the visiting school, which could wear its own alternate uniform.
Nebraska's apparel provider, Adidas, has contracts with four other Big Ten schools. Two of them, Michigan and Wisconsin, visit Lincoln this year. Both games are set for prime-time ABC/ESPN, and both will be NU's biggest official visit games of the fall.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be great if it works but I think it is so so sad. This is Nebraska and all we can get on a full scholly is a guy we have to send off to learn how to throw a freaking football.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L @ black in the unis, unless osborne is being a wise ass and talking about trim of the badges..........

We'll see in October if Martinez has made any progress- Sept 8th won't really tell us shit, even if his mechanics are better then, conference play is a lot harder and muscle memory has a way of sneaking back when the stress rises.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all can give a big thank you to Cody Green for Taylors invite to Manning camp

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I jest hope we draft natural QB's from now on, instead of trying to make one en sech.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be great if it works but I think it is so so sad. This is Nebraska and all we can get on a full scholly is a guy we have to send off to learn how to throw a freaking football.

I'm in the same boat. Better late than never I suppose, however a Junior starting QB at a D1 school should maybe have those tools in the shed already. I hope Armstrong isn't wasting 2 years of eligibility behind amateur night trying to learn about the basics of throwing a football.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on all this.... is.....

:pop2:

I hope like heck that he improves 10 fold... if so, and being healthy... could make a huge difference in what is possible.

But I reiterate what I have said all along... Our line must get stronger, faster and downright meaner... to make all this matter.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on all this.... is.....

:pop2:

I hope like heck that he improves 10 fold... if so, and being healthy... could make a huge difference in what is possible.

But I reiterate what I have said all along... Our line must get stronger, faster and downright meaner... to make all this matter.

Give him some words of wisdom BRS. Inspire him.

[YOUTUBE]rIl_4D-FUo4[/YOUTUBE]

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Tebow had a bad throwing motion and he didn't work out too bad for Florida. Can think of a few other former Husker QBs that are basically deified who had bad throwing motions.

Taylor catches more shit than most because of his perceived attitude issues, helicopter dad, etc.

Huskers for champs.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Tebow had a bad throwing motion and he didn't work out too bad for Florida. Can think of a few other former Husker QBs that are basically deified who had bad throwing motions.

Taylor catches more shit than most because of his perceived attitude issues, helicopter dad, etc.

Huskers for champs.

rep

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds to me like unis will be worn for the Michigan game.......

If Wisconsin and Nebraska both wear alternates at the same time, it might be difficult to tell the two apart.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hell are we going to set it up where the away opponent also has badass alternates?

There goes what little competitive advantage/intimidation factor you may have had from it.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all can give a big thank you to Cody Green for Taylors invite to Manning camp

"And Calhoun helped get Martinez an invite to the mid-July Manning Passing Academy, where Calhoun will work as a camp assistant.
The private coach's verdict so far?"

:confused: