• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

mariota vs winston

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Decker and Jackson were the same age and speaking of injuries, what the over/ under that Jackson misses some games?
Probably equal both ways, but Jackson still has what changes the offense, his speed, does Decker still have what makes him special? I dunno

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all due respect not what i asked. why can charles recover from
injury but decker cant

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably equal both ways, but Jackson still has what changes the offense, his speed, does Decker still have what makes him special? I dunno
At 6'3 he's a good red Zone target, he has 3 seasons with double digit TD vs Jackson not even having one. Personally not high on either WR.
It's a close match up with Winston vs Mariota. Think it comes down on personal preference.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this year maybe Winston.

For dynasty/the future I prefer mariota

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all due respect not what i asked. why can charles recover from
injury but decker cant
I didn't state it well, but my point basically was the question is irrelevant to the subject matter, as my reasoning as to why i don't put much stock into his addition, when it comes to marriota's value, has little to do with the injury. It's just a small part, worth noting, but a small part. He can be 150% and he's not adding value to Mariota, hes taking it away from Mathews and Walker. He doesn't transform an offense, he operates well within one.

But, IF Charles has anything left, he CAN transform an offense. . there in lies where the comparison in question isn't fair, nor applicable

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 6'3 he's a good red Zone target, he has 3 seasons with double digit TD vs Jackson not even having one. Personally not high on either WR.
It's a close match up with Winston vs Mariota. Think it comes down on personal preference.
It does, he does, and that's why i think he mooches his numbers from Walker, and Mathews who are also good at scoring TD's. he won't be adding much to Mariota. Marita didn't need another solid route runner who's a big target, to add value, he needs something that's different than what he's already got.
Davis might prove to be that guy, hell Taywan Taylor might. . but until they do, Jackson does do that for Winston, thus he gets my vote

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:trash:
Please stop with all of this "weapons" talk regarding Winston.
He is becoming a turnover machine.
And even if you put Jerry Rice and Calvin Johnson in their prime on the Bucs, this has no bearing on his accuracy.

Just for grins I did a search for QB completion percentage (minimum 500 pass attempts) over the past 2 seasons (combined).
Brock Osweiler finished better than Winston!
Here's the search results courtesy of ProFootball Reference.

Winston was 25th on the list. (Winston's QB rating isn't that impressive either.)
Mariota was 22nd.

Now if you guys think that adding DJax will improve Winston's decision making and accuracy, you may be losing your minds.

Reactions: DUB

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And even if you put Jerry Rice and Calvin Johnson in their prime on the Bucs, this has no bearing on his accuracy.

Just for grins I did a search for QB completion percentage (minimum 500 pass attempts) over the past 2 seasons (combined).

Winston was 25th on the list. (Winston's QB rating isn't that impressive either.)
Mariota was 22nd.

Now if you guys think that adding DJax will improve Winston's decision making and accuracy, you may be losing your minds.
No, but will he feel the need to force the ball to Evans with 3 defenders? Probably not. . Will Evans ever have 3 defenders on him with Jackson on the field? Again, probably not. . And that's why Jackson makes a difference. I don't think Jackson himself is a great WR at all.. as I've said numerous times, the only guy nearly as overrated as he is, is Cooks, but, what he does do is command attention to himself, and that's what the Evans Winston duo is sorely lacking

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mariota was 22nd.

Curious...who fared better in fantasy football H2H the last two years, Osweiler or Winston?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious...who fared better in fantasy football H2H the last two years, Osweiler or Winston?
200.webp

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm alone on an island with respect to Winston?
But seriously, we've seen his situation before (even if I can't think of any examples).
Highly touted QB is finally surrounded with playmakers yet can't seem to make the most of it.
Maybe Winston improves on his turnovers and accuracy this year.

I did another search on QB going back 40 years in their first 2 seasons.
Some notable names started out like Winston (in those 2 areas) and got better.
Others got worse.
All I'm saying is I'm not holding my breath.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota was a beast last season. Winston never took the step forward that people were expecting him to take. If both are on the board and I need a QB, I will probably take Mariota, but I wouldn't mock someone who chooses Winston. Like someone above me said, it's a matter of personal preference.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans caught a lot of long balls last year, Jackson is just siphoning off some of those. So not buying that Jackson brings something new or different to the offense. A 6'3 go up and get it WR is good to have all over the field, not just the Red Zone, rest of The Titians WRs really don't have that skill set. So IMO Decker is the one adding a new dimension to the offense, not Jackson.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans caught a lot of long balls last year, Jackson is just siphoning off some of those. So not buying that Jackson brings something new or different to the offense. A 6'3 go up and get it WR is good to have all over the field, not just the Red Zone, rest of The Titians WRs really don't have that skill set. So IMO Decker is the one adding a new dimension to the offense, not Jackson.

Jackson's just a fill-in...but so is Decker, I guess, so this year will be interesting to watch. However, Winston has been spotted wearing a knee brace and his OL is apparently more suspect than Mariota's, so...it will be interesting to watch.

That said, having followed Winston pretty closely (as well as Mariota), I have difficulty hearing him labeled as a bust.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, having followed Winston pretty closely (as well as Mariota), I have difficulty hearing him labeled as a bust.
I'm not calling Winston a bust. Oh no.
Winston finished 12th among QB in standard scoring. (Mariota 13th)
ECR is ranking Winston as the 9th QB to be drafted.
ADP has him 13.
I'm more in line with his ADP.
I just don't see Winston climbing much higher than he did last season.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not calling Winston a bust. Oh no.
Winston finished 12th among QB in standard scoring. (Mariota 13th)
ECR is ranking Winston as the 9th QB to be drafted.
ADP has him 13.
I'm more in line with his ADP.
I just don't see Winston climbing much higher than he did last season.

I dunno, Joe...lumping Winston and Ostweiler together kinda sends a different message, imo...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson's just a fill-in...but so is Decker, I guess, so this year will be interesting to watch. However, Winston has been spotted wearing a knee brace and his OL is apparently more suspect than Mariota's, so...it will be interesting to watch.

I'm not labeling him a bust. I'm a little concerned about the turn overs though, that's has got to be addressed.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not labeling him a bust. I'm a little concerned about the turn overs though, that's has got to be addressed.

Nope, wasn't addressing that directly towards you. I share the same concerns in the turnover respect; especially if the OL is as bad as some have said.