• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lovie Smith A Head Coach Again

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of silly to fire him after only a single season when the roster is still in shambles and any new coach is still not going to take the job there because it is almost inevitably a 1 or 2 year job before you get fired (because that roster isn't winning anytime soon). Hell that was the reason they hired Lovie in the first place. Because none of the up and coming coaches would have touched that job with a ten foot pole.

I guess maybe the thought of a young QB to develop in either Stroud or Young makes one of the young coaches jump. But I doubt it considering they dont have any other real talent elsewhere on the roster.

That is the worst part of this Houston "rebuild". The best players on their roster right now are just NFL re-treads looking for playing time so that they can find a starting job on a REAL NFL team and aren't likely to stay in Houston long. They have very, very few players on the roster that you can point to will be impact players in 2024 for them.

Casserio did a really shitty job in year one of bringing in young talent to try and develop. That was a team that all season should have been raiding other teams practice squads. Instead they went the older vet route. They literally only had 3 young players playing on their defense this season (but at least those 3 look like pieces moving forward: Stingley, Pitre and Harris). Which considering where they are as a franchise is obviously ridiculous.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love took on a terrible team with pizz poor upper management and ownership and did a decent job with the talent available.
Lovie is a good football coach who deserved better than the dumpster fire that is Texans ownership and management

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that Lovie is the second coming of Lombardi, but he did a pretty good job IMO in terms of keeping that team competitive. I can see why a bunch of people are mad he got fired, it is a bad look for the league.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston fucked over 2 black coaches in back to back years with 1 and done. White coaches get much more latitude. Except for Hackett but that was an epic clusterfuck since they had SB aspirations. Houston is in the process of a major rebuild, mindboggling why they would fire Culley and Lovie after 1 and dones. Not like they are going anywhere anytime soon.

Now, the Raiders should fire McDaniels.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Man!
Image result for my man gif

>Every Chicago Bears Fan on Sunday Night<
:fify:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston fucked over 2 black coaches in back to back years with 1 and done. White coaches get much more latitude. Except for Hackett but that was an epic clusterfuck since they had SB aspirations. Houston is in the process of a major rebuild, mindboggling why they would fire Culley and Lovie after 1 and dones. Not like they are going anywhere anytime soon.

:stephena:
One name kills this argument.
Hue Fucking Jackson!

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what DJ is saying has merit. The Texans didn’t really give either of those coaches a chance. Lovie likely deserved a shot imo because he had that in talented team competing and trying to the very end. When there are so few black coaches and you hire two in a row as cannon fodder that’s a bad look. But in the end it only hurts the Texans. What good coach of any race would want to coach there?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what DJ is saying has merit. The Texans didn’t really give either of those coaches a chance. Lovie likely deserved a shot imo because he had that in talented team competing and trying to the very end. When there are so few black coaches and you hire two in a row as cannon fodder that’s a bad look. But in the end it only hurts the Texans. What good coach of any race would want to coach there?
They are probably going to hire Josh McCown.....he was a candidate with them before.

SMH.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently, The McNairs have a lot more money than Davis does and can afford to pay 4 head coaches' salaries at once.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, The McNairs have a lot more money than Davis does and can afford to pay 4 head coaches' salaries at once.
I still can't believe that the Texans are letting the same GM hire a 3rd HC. After 2 HCs were shown the door after one year, one would think the owner would question the GM's choices.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only reason they hired Culley and Smith in the first place was optics. McNair trying to show everyone that he isn't racist. The bottom line is the Texans are not winning anything anytime soon, regardless of who's coaching them. But you are right in that these guys were never really given an honest chance. Culley had his team playing hard every game last year, despite being totally void of talent.
As somebody already mentioned, how Nick Caserio has that job is mind boggling.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe that the Texans are letting the same GM hire a 3rd HC. After 2 HCs were shown the door after one year, one would think the owner would question the GM's choices.
He should definitely be fired. That still may happen.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the order in which such firings show plenty to Houston fans.
No
Shows they feel it's easier to replace a HC than a GM maybe. 3 wins season or less often means change is coming and think usually the HC is first unless it happens at the same time.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shows they feel it's easier to replace a HC than a GM maybe. 3 wins season or less often means change is coming and think usually the HC is first unless it happens at the same time.
I'm sure you're right, I guess I was just putting myself in as if I were a Houston fan.