• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lovie Smith A Head Coach Again

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't mean to go there because Lovie comes off as a cool guy with a little HC success but with all this recent media racism shit....................is this hire in any way motivated by the recent Flores situation? I mean, Lovie was pretty good in Chicago but not so much elsewhere. I'm actually very surprised they chose him.

Or, is Smith being hired to oversee a rebuild that is doomed for the next few seasons only to be fired in two years and replaced by a white dude once the rebuild is complete?

Or, do the Texans really believe he was the best guy available for the job? Sorry but he just seems mediocre to me.
I think you are saying what a lot including me are thinking. Especially since he wasnt once mentioned as a candidate before a few days ago

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for black head coaches getting a shot but Lovie Smith really wasn't what I had in mind. Lovie had his moment to coach he was an awesome run in Chicago not so much in Tampa but I was hoping that Eric B. would have gotten this Texans job.
Tampa 2 retread is pretty much the opposite of what the NFL needed, tbh.

This screams “we don’t have anyone we like so we’ll hire another 1 and done coach from the staff of the previous 1 and done coach.”

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flores is amending his lawsuit to include Smith claiming that Smith is only a token

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here but I read a quote from his lawyers this morning that Flores should've gotten the HC job instead of Smith but Flores is now black listed by the NFL(I'm paraphrasing).

1) what the hell did he expect?
2) Smith does actually have more experience as a HC and a Super Bowl appearance.

People were pretty sympathetic to Flore's situation but I'm not sure him suggesting he was the better candidate is going to bring anybody else over to his side. Smith is a liked and respected guy. Oh, and he's black which is what this is all about.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here but I read a quote from his lawyers this morning that Flores should've gotten the HC job instead of Smith but Flores is now black listed by the NFL(I'm paraphrasing).

2) Smith does actually have more experience as a HC and a Super Bowl appearance.

People were pretty sympathetic to Flore's situation but I'm not sure him suggesting he was the better candidate is going to bring anybody else over to his side. Smith is a liked and respected guy. Oh, and he's black which is what this is all about.
well i expect that the NFL will cave and make it mandatory that teams will be required to hire minority candidates Irregardless of their qualifications. of course Flores screwed himself with the lawsuit but i imagine he will get all he wanted and more

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How many coaches have you ever heard say about themselves that they have a God given talent to coach? Players sure , because most are born with natural abilities, while coaching it takes development. My take is this guy is a narcissist that cant get along with his black GM, fired 3 OC's in 3 years, has issues with his current QB and expects any future HC job to be given to him. That's just my take and .20 cents

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good fit.

Bad job, mediocre retread coach.

Sounds about right!
He's a good bridge coach to rebuild the culture, locker room, mentor the young guys, etc. I doubt they look at this as a long term hire.

The team/organization is in shambles. They just need a guy that can hold onto the steering wheel for a bit. Sort of like the Bears intended with John Fox. Just be a bridge out of the shitstorm.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIRED. Back-to-back one and dones in Houston. Is that unprecedented?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one hand, no one was gonna do anything with that trashass roster this season so its kinda messed up to fire him after 1 year. I'm not saying Lovie is some great coach, but still. On the other hand though, he knew that team was dumpster fire when he took the job weeks after no one else wanted it.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take him in NE as our DC.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, but it is a sign of a bad organization.

If you asked me. I think Lovie did well with what he had.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the Texans are done tanking now. Lovie Smith actually overachieved if anything. Seems like he should probably still be a DC somewhere

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give Lovie props for not laying down like a patsy. Much like last season, the Texans players gave it all they had. People can yap about that first pick all they want but laying down is a shitty way to get it, imo. Fight hard until the final bell and let the chips fall where they may.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Eagles lose their DC, Lovie would be a good replacement.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Not sure about other teams, but I know San Fran did it with Tomsula and Chip Kelly. They each got fired after only 1 season.