• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like we chose the right Tennessee receiver.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that Ponder had a higher completion percentage and less interceptions than Cutler last year, right? (62.1% to 58.8% and 12 to 13 respectively)

And that was throwing 50 more passes than Jay.

I'm trying to figure out if ya'll have anymore WR's for us because you sold us another china doll. :L

Stats do stink unless you know which stats to interpret that can corroborate your point or not.

Ponder has the WORST yards per completion # in the entire NFL for starting QB's. #32... Ponder
is the only QB that is below 10 yds/completion. Even Sanchez is better.

Thus, Ponder is Captain checkdown = higher completion %, fewer interceptions and frankly, in need of a
real QB that can win football games.

It's time you find a real QB or you'll waste AP's brilliant career.

Josey..Wales

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to figure out if ya'll have anymore WR's for us because you sold us another china doll. :L

Stats do stink unless you know which stats to interpret that can corroborate your point or not.

Ponder has the WORST yards per completion # in the entire NFL for starting QB's. #32... Ponder
is the only QB that is below 10 yds/completion. Even Sanchez is better.

Thus, Ponder is Captain checkdown = higher completion %, fewer interceptions and frankly, in need of a
real QB that can win football games.

It's time you find a real QB or you'll waste AP's brilliant career.

It had nothing whatsoever to do with "checkdowns" last year. The extent of Musgrave's playbook was basically: Peterson left, Peterson right, bubble screen to Harvin, Peterson right. It wasn't Harvin checking down so much as it was the design of the plays.

And we basically had the worst receiving corp in the league so when you combine that with a guy in his first full year as a starter, it's a recipe for disaster in the passing game.

I've stated it numerous times in the past (on various boards), I'm not a Ponder apologist, and I'm certainly not going to sit here and say you're absolutely wrong about him because the truth is, I. Just. Don't. Know. But I do know that he deserves a shot this year to get his shit together and create some form of threat in the passing game, or I'll look for the team to start scouting QB's in next year's draft.

The last thing I want to see is the team squander Peterson's talent on a no-talent QB, so it's do-or-die for Ponder this year, for me anyway.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cassel will push Ponder. Ponder's never had a backup with that much experience - Rosenfels had been around awhile but he'd never been in a starting role like Cassel's with the Patriots, I think - and it's sure to tell. I like competition for big spots. Does the whole team good.

Josey..Wales

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cassel will push Ponder. Ponder's never had a backup with that much experience - Rosenfels had been around awhile but he'd never been in a starting role like Cassel's with the Patriots, I think - and it's sure to tell. I like competition for big spots. Does the whole team good.

That's the worst case scenario, as far as I'm concerned.

That being that Ponder plays so poorly that Cassel ends up supplanting him, then that means we're totally screwed this year!

Let's face it, Cassel proved that he is not a "franchise" QB when he was given his shot in KC. He had stretches where he made "bad Ponder" look like Joe Montana. If we're going to have any success at all this year, it will come with Christian Ponder at the helm.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the worst case scenario, as far as I'm concerned.

That being that Ponder plays so poorly that Cassel ends up supplanting him, then that means we're totally screwed this year!

Let's face it, Cassel proved that he is not a "franchise" QB when he was given his shot in KC. He had stretches where he made "bad Ponder" look like Joe Montana. If we're going to have any success at all this year, it will come with Christian Ponder at the helm.

No, no I don't mean Ponder sucks so bad that Cassel plays. I mean that Cassel plays well enough as a backup to put Ponder's back up and make him work really hard and play his best all season. I've always said competition improves play.

Josey..Wales

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no I don't mean Ponder sucks so bad that Cassel plays. I mean that Cassel plays well enough as a backup to put Ponder's back up and make him work really hard and play his best all season. I've always said competition improves play.

Competition is never a bad thing, but I think Ponder knows that the success of the entire team is resting squarely on his shoulders. The pressure from them, the front office, the coaching staff, and the fans is, I'm sure, more than enough pressure to make him exert MAXIMUM effort toward success at his job.

And it's not like he's a dummy that can't see the writing on the wall, the guy had his masters at 21 so he's smart enough to know that the team will be shopping for his long-term replacement in next year's draft if he craps the bed this year.

But as far as your original premise goes, there should always be competition at every position except 1st string QB IMO. The reason I say that is because you want to know that your top QB is good enough that he doesn't need competition. For example, teams like the Broncos and the Packers aren't really searching for somebody that can push Manning or Rodgers to excel, they know they will do that themselves. And they're certainly not going to be challenged for their jobs, they simply want someone who's a capable, short-term stand-in if their QB goes down.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Problem is, you arent going to find 32 Bradys, thus some teams will have average QBs and that is a fact of life in the NFL. In fact with the salary cap, you can only have so many "marquee" players on the club at all, if you want enough cap space for some quality backups. Take the Sea Hags for example. Harvin and Rice will account for 20% of the Hags cap space next year alone.

So a good GM has to look at who he can keep long term on his roster for how much and who he can get at other positions at what cost. Ponder is still on his rookie deal, and a bargain at 2.3 mil. Leaves us a lot of room for quality players in lots of other spots. Stafford 9 mil? I'd rather have Ponder at 9 mil frankly. Cutler at 9.6 mil? Again, would rather have Ponder at 9.6. Flacco 8 mil. Statistically not a lot better than CP7 but he has been in the league 5 years and has better experience, not to mention had better receivers.

We have AD, a guy thats going to soak up a lot of cash. If we had Whine baby also for example, thats 20% of the Vikings cap space in 2 guys. What would the rest of our team look like? Wouldnt have JA, wouldnt have Loadholt. Wouldnt have Jennings. Couldnt afford them. As long as we have AD, we are going to have an average QB by necessity, frankly. And I dont think thats such a bad thing. As I already said somewhere, Ponders year last year was equal to or better than 7 of Joe Montanas 15 years.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Cassel plays played well enough he would still have a starting job with the Chiefs but instead he is a back up to Ponders, a HUGE demotion. MN will never get to the Super Bowl with Ponders at QB and will soon have to start looking for a replacement. Just speaking in reality here, he is not a good QB.

Josey..Wales

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply because you state your opinion as a fact, doesn't mean that it is.

It's just that, your opinion.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply because you state your opinion as a fact, doesn't mean that it is.

It's just that, your opinion.

I think Ponders play on the field proves he wont ever win a Super Bowl. I have never heard of a QB missing so many targets in Training Camp when he is throwing only against air and he doesnt have any support around him to convince me otherwise. Adrian Peterson will never win a Super Bowl with the Vikings either.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I think Ponders play on the field proves he wont ever win a Super Bowl. I have never heard of a QB missing so many targets in Training Camp when he is throwing only against air and he doesnt have any support around him to convince me otherwise. Adrian Peterson will never win a Super Bowl with the Vikings either.

Well that cuts it, I'm selling my parade rout seats...lol

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that cuts it, I'm selling my parade rout seats...lol

You arent going to win a Super Bowl with the team you have now and Peterson is the only name on the team that would attract other players to come play for MN. You guys dont have a huge football market, dont have the best program and those are things that attract big FA names that you need help winning with. Until you guys are able to afford people to support Peterson you will always be a mediocre team. You guys were good a few years ago with Favre but thats because you had him and he had one of the best years of his career.

Josey..Wales

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You arent going to win a Super Bowl with the team you have now and Peterson is the only name on the team that would attract other players to come play for MN. You guys dont have a huge football market, dont have the best program and those are things that attract big FA names that you need help winning with. Until you guys are able to afford people to support Peterson you will always be a mediocre team. You guys were good a few years ago with Favre but thats because you had him and he had one of the best years of his career.

I was making an honest attempt NOT to place you in the dumbass category............until this post!

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was making an honest attempt NOT to place you in the dumbass category............until this post!

Why would I care what you say? Dont get me wrong if people talk badly about the Bears too I back it up with everything I know about the team but you guys arent backing up your team, you are responding with your type of answers. Vikings fans cant even explain to me how they are going to win the North and get into the playoffs. I have seen plenty of Vikings videos from TC and that offense has not looked good.

Josey..Wales

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would I care what you say? Dont get me wrong if people talk badly about the Bears too I back it up with everything I know about the team but you guys arent backing up your team, you are responding with your type of answers. Vikings fans cant even explain to me how they are going to win the North and get into the playoffs. I have seen plenty of Vikings videos from TC and that offense has not looked good.

I think you're confusing "caring what you say" with "evaluating your football acumen". My response to you was an honest evaluation of your abilities to discern anything football related.

And when did I say anything about the Vikings winning the north or making the playoffs?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting that a Bears fan doesnt even know his own teams history...

'85 Bears:
McMahon 56.9% comp 2392 yards 15 TDs 11 Ints QB rating 82.6
Peyton 1551 yards 9 TDs

'12 Vikings:
Ponder 62.1% comp 2935 yards 18 TDs 12 Ints QB rating 81.2
Peterson 2097 yards 12 TDs

You say we cant win the super bowl with what we have? I say youre full of shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

RollingHills

Hoopla Cash
$ 2.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Bears losing their first 8 games this year.

RollingHills

Hoopla Cash
$ 2.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only four team had less yards last year than Chicago. Jacksonville, NY Jets, Arizona, and San Diego. The offense is inept. It is true Minnesota was 30th in passing yards, but Cutler and the Bears were 28th. Chicago's running was 10th, compared to Minnesota's 2nd. So, you decided to be a run-controlled offense and it did not work. That is why Minnesota beat you out for a playoff spot.

How do you stop Chicago? Play good run D and focus on Brandon Marshall. Chicago tried to address their OL concerns with a draft choice (Long) and signing Bushrod at LT. But the Bears have been a bust drafting OL recently, letting go their 1st round pick Carimi.

The loss of Brian Urlacher hurts the defense some. But they should be pretty good. They will have to be. If Chicago's defense remains opportunistic, they could be .500. If not, the Lions might finish above you .. meaning basement city.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what to expect from the Vikes this year. A great Oline and run game with a good Def to start. From there it's guess work, a lot of young talent that could blossom this year or next. To me there is no clear favorite in the north. It's a QB league and GB has AR, but I think both MN and Chicago are better overall teams then GB. Det is a non factor until they get a NFL coach. I do think both MN and Chi will be even better next year.