• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Load Management

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with it but just not this early in the season.

I can live with it starting in late Jan/Feb

I don't like it, but I accept that it's going to happen.

I don't really care how soon they start...but, I'd like the games announced at the beginning of the season.

As sushi pointed out, because of AAU, etc. today's players, especially the really good ones, come in with a lot of mileage on them already.

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,831.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He used to sit guys once their playoff position was secured. Especially later in the Showtime era as the main guys got older.

I think Pop was the one who expanded it and started sitting guys earlier in the season.

There's a huge difference in what Riles did and what Pop and Leonard and others are now doing though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not.

lol

See what I mean?

Like you and CL, my initial reaction is "Hell no, if you can walk, you can play".

But if some load management could have extended the careers of some of the all time greats....it doesn't seem like such a bad idea anymore.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As gambling becomes legal in more and more places this will have to get worked out, and I think it will.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a huge difference in what Riles did and what Pop and Leonard and others are now doing though.

Not really. It's still sitting guys for rest.

Sure, with how it's being done now, you might miss seeing, for example Kawhi, earlier in the season than it would have happened with the Showtime era.

But you're less likely to miss him at the end of the season than you were the Showtime players.

The main difference is that, with the Showtime Lakers, you knew that if you bought a ticket after the Lakers clinched their playoff seed, there was a good chance you wouldn't see them play.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,831.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. It's still sitting guys for rest.

Sure, with how it's being done now, you might miss seeing, for example Kawhi, earlier in the season than it would have happened with the Showtime era.

But you're less likely to miss him at the end of the season than you were the Showtime players.

The main difference is that, with the Showtime Lakers, you knew that if you bought a ticket after the Lakers clinched their playoff seed, there was a good chance you wouldn't see them play.

But, the players now are announcing the day of the game....the fan gets screwed when he buys a ticket in advance and then finds out the day of said game.....the player is sitting out. They pay good $ to see those guys play.

College football, DJ out.....check in later.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, the players now are announcing the day of the game....the fan gets screwed when he buys a ticket in advance and then finds out the day of said game.....the player is sitting out. They pay good $ to see those guys play.

College football, DJ out.....check in later.

That's why I'd like to see the league tell teams that load management games must be announced at the start of the season.

Fans can decide whether or not they still want to buy a ticket and networks can change to broadcasting a different game.

But to collect all that money and then say "Oh by the way...so and so isn't playing" almost feels like a bait and switch.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, let's see if he's still saying that about 30 or so games from now. lol

Weird comment from a player who recently sat out games for "rest" which is the same thing as load management

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, load management is a thing...lol

What are folks thoughts on it? Like it? Hate it? Don't care? Only like it when it works?

I kind of see both sides of it.

I'm old school, so I'm used to and tend to lean towards, if you can walk, you play. I don't think I'll ever get used to or like load management, even though I understand the point of it. People pay good money to see the best players, networks pay huge money to broadcast the games, teammates depend on the best player playing.

It also feeds the narrative of NBA players being soft. In most other sports, it's about playing hurt, playing through pain, etc. In the NBA, guys sit because they're tired or might get tired.

On the other hand, if you're a Lakers fan....what if the Lakers could have gotten Kobe to accept load management? Maybe his Achilles doesn't explode?

Or if you're a Celtics fan...what if load management could have extended his career 2-3 more seasons?

Suns fan...what if load management could have saved Steve Nash's back?

Maybe load management is really why Kawhi was able to do what he did in the playoffs last year? He sure seems convinced.

Personally, as I said, I don't like it, but it's obviously going to continue to be a thing. So, I think that in fairness to fans and networks, if a team is going to use it...they should have to map it out and announce those games before the season starts. That way, fans can decide if they still want to spend the money and networks can switch to a different game if they see fit.

You’re old school ? Lol!

When you plan God laughs. Injuries happen. That’s rest! If you are healthy you play. You don’t try to extend a career by load mgmt.

I used to get so angry when girardi, Yankees coach pulled that load mgmt crap. The player still has to show up , go through all the warm ups , Yada yada. Yada. Then, you sit on the pine when your teammates are battling? That’s not rest!

Rest is being away
From the game!

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why LeBron acts like he won't do load management, he's "rested" in the past which is the same thing whether there is an injury included or not. And towards the end of the season if the Lakers have secured their spot in the playoffs, it'll probably happen again.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why LeBron acts like he won't do load management, he's "rested" in the past which is the same thing whether there is an injury included or not. And towards the end of the season if the Lakers have secured their spot in the playoffs, it'll probably happen again.

LeClown gonna LeClown...

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pampered pussies today. The Last two generations its all its been and the future ones are even worse. They wouldn't have lasted more than a few seasons playing in the physical 80s/90s generation if you transported them back.

They should all be fined MILLIONS of dollars for blatantly dogging it out there and that money giving to those who actually WORK for a living.

The season just tired and you're worried about "load management". You just had the whole fucking summer off. GTFO

Last edited: