• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers trying to trade for Kevin Love

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mitch can get Love for Pau and 2 firsts I would go crazy

Report: Lakers, Mavericks trying to acquire Kevin Love before trade deadline | SI Wire

The Los Angeles Lakers and Dallas Mavericks are each trying to put together a package that would entice the Minnesota Timberwolves into trading Kevin Love, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.

Lakers and Mavericks officials both hope that an offer of expiring contracts and premium draft picks could persuade the team to move Love before the team loses him to free agency.

Sources: Lakers, Mavs maneuvering for Kevin Love - CBSSports.com

The Lakers and Mavericks are trying to assemble trade offers for prospective free agent Kevin Love, but thus far the Timberwolves have given no indication they'll consider moving the All-Star forward by Thursday's deadline, league sources told CBSSports.com.

Love will be a free agent in 2015, and it is widely known around the league that he and his agent, New York-based Jeff Schwartz, are determined to get him to a major market. The Lakers, Love's first choice, "have the best shot" of landing the Southern California native, one person familiar with the player's thinking said. There is no incentive in the CBA for Love to sign an extension with Minnesota before he has a chance to decline his player option and hit the open market in July 2015.

Giving up significant assets for Love would be problematic for any team that isn't confident it will be able to sign him when he becomes a free agent. That is obviously not an issue for the Lakers.

Still, other teams are said to be feverishly pursuing a premium first-round pick that could be included in a package for Love, a three-time All-Star who is fourth in the league in scoring (25.8 points per game) and second in rebounding (13.2).

In the end, it will fall on Timberwolves president Flip Saunders to pull the trigger on a Love deal or wait him out and hope he's able to turn the franchise's fortunes around in time to persuade him to stay. Minnesota has yet to make the playoffs in Love's five seasons and is likely headed to the lottery again this year.

Any Lakers offer would have to include Pau Gasol, whose $19.3 million contract comes off the books this summer. Rival executives believe the Lakers' best chance of moving Gasol is to a team that views him as worthy re-signing to a more reasonable deal this summer -- not as a rental. With Kobe Bryant out indefinitely and the Lakers tied for the fourth-worst record in the league, their 2014 first-round pick will have value -- but can only be traded if LA can acquire another first-round pick first. Their 2015 first-round pick has been conditionally traded to Phoenix.

During All-Star weekend, Bryant said the Lakers having cap space this summer is "right in their wheelhouse" and said he's confident GM Mitch Kupchak would make the moves necessary for a "quick turnaround." LA currently has room to sign a max free agent this summer, but could opt to acquire one via trade and then make more moves in 2015-16, Bryant's final season under contract.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I am leaning toward the Pau to the boobcats deal (see appropraite thread) but this one has merit as well.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be 100% shocked if Love gets traded to the Lakers at the deadline. I still say the best chance for LA to get him is to sign useful players to favorable contracts this summer and then package those into a deal for Love some time next season as he's forcing his way out. FWIW, I think that's the only way LA can get him because I think Minny is trading him before he hits FA and I bet he resigns wherever he's traded.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Minnesota will trade Love this season, but I'd love to see him in a Lakers' uniform.

Hard to say what will happen. Just hoping for a great draft and a decent FA or two next season.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
51KMQZ9NRVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Git -R- Done Mitch!

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Minnesota will trade Love this season, but I'd love to see him in a Lakers' uniform.

Hard to say what will happen. Just hoping for a great draft and a decent FA or two next season.

Well said.:10:

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mitch can pull this off, without giving up this years draft pick, he'll be the greatest GM in the game!