• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2016 Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I heard, it wasn't the Clarkson and Randle that killed the DMC deal, it was the Kings insisting that they include Ingram. Have you heard something different?

Way back a few months ago and even during the last draft, Clarkson and Randle were mentioned in preliminary discussions about the availability of DMC. Then they were mentioned again in the Bulls discussions about bringing in Jimmy Butler. The original discussions are where that reference came from TJF12. The exact player that killed the DMC trade this time was Ingram as you stated. Many people believe it was Magic that halted that trade but no definite on that speculation.

kobesgame

Fucking C**t Lawyer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, people....my mom passed away at 10:25am this morning.....broke my fucking heart. Please pray for me and my family.....this is the tough part. How we deal wiith.

So sorry to here that. My thoughts are prayers are with you.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posting this in a few places since we don't all travel in the same circles on tHoop.
Prayers for you and your family.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I knew we would get a first rounder. They should have tossed in deng.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Lou Williams is gone to HOUSTON. That is a shift. WE get Corey Brewer and the Rockets unprotected first rounder. If we finish in the top three, our chances of keeping our first round pick is pretty good seeing how we have been doing the last two years to finally dissipate the Dwightmare and Nash debacle.

Also Magic hires Kobe's agent Rob Pelinka as GM. This is getting weird as Pelinka has little experience in the GM if any. At least Kupchak studied under the Icon's tutelage for a couple of years before he took over. Magic also wants Kobe to be a player liaison.

I am not sure what the hell Johnson is thinking but if he thinks this is going to be some championship, willy-nilly whirlwind tour just throwing things together like this, he really is setting himself up for failure. After all, his head coaching experience ended in a complete failure and he sold his shares of the Lakers and was out the door. I am not sure he learned anything over at the Dodgers either. They aren't exactly powerhouses. Spent a lot of money though.

Well, we shall see if this Magic administration does any better than Kupchak and Short Buss. If it goes belly-up, Jeannie is going to look awfully stupid.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Lou Williams is gone to HOUSTON. That is a shift. WE get Corey Brewer and the Rockets unprotected first rounder. If we finish in the top three, our chances of keeping our first round pick is pretty good seeing how we have been doing the last two years to finally dissipate the Dwightmare and Nash debacle.

Also Magic hires Kobe's agent Rob Pelinka as GM. This is getting weird as Pelinka has little experience in the GM if any. At least Kupchak studied under the Icon's tutelage for a couple of years before he took over. Magic also wants Kobe to be a player liaison.

I am not sure what the hell Johnson is thinking but if he thinks this is going to be some championship, willy-nilly whirlwind tour just throwing things together like this, he really is setting himself up for failure. After all, his head coaching experience ended in a complete failure and he sold his shares of the Lakers and was out the door. I am not sure he learned anything over at the Dodgers either. They aren't exactly powerhouses. Spent a lot of money though.

Well, we shall see if this Magic administration does any better than Kupchak and Short Buss. If it goes belly-up, Jeannie is going to look awfully stupid.

Bob Meyers in Golden State was also an agent. That turned out okay. Like Meyers, he worked under Arn Tellem. Also, as an agent, he has relationships with all of the other GM's and many players throughout the league (which could come in handy during FA) and he knows the CBA and salary cap inside and out.

Pelinka will also have Ryan West, who appears to have his Dad's eye for talent, to do the grunt work and help him with player evaluation, etc.

The Dodgers aren't powerhouses? They have won the NL West 4 straight seasons and are favored to win it again. Either way, Magic was never intended to be anything but a frontman for the Dodgers, so there really wasn't a whole lot for him to learn.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several articles suggest that if Johnson is going to be effective, he is going to have to go out as a scout way more that I am sure he is use to as Pat Riley and other NBA execs do routinely. Star power isn't going to be enough and people aren't going to sign with the Lakers just because Johnson says they should.

I don't know if he wants that part of the job. Granted Magic hired one of the younger keen eyes for talent these days in Ryan West, the son of the Icon, as an assistant GM. Eventually, if the ultimate buck stops with Johnson then he is going to have venture out to way more college games than I not sure he really wants that part of the job as the top CEO of the Lakers.

We shall see though how this all plays out.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care about Brewer. He's just a dude. Servicable, nothing more. All I wanted is the 1st round pick. It'll be late 1st round but it doesn't matter because the dude I want should still be available; Caleb Swanigan. I doubt he's a star, but I just don't see any way he's a bust. You don't just rack up double doubles the way he's doing in college and be a nobody in the NBA. Good post game, great rebounder, smart passer, and quick enough on his feet to make the necessary switches on defense.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okafor is rumored to be moved. The Lakers are in play and so are the Queens. Maybe will end up with Okafor as well.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several articles suggest that if Johnson is going to be effective, he is going to have to go out as a scout way more that I am sure he is use to as Pat Riley and other NBA execs do routinely. Star power isn't going to be enough and people aren't going to sign with the Lakers just because Johnson says they should.

I don't know if he wants that part of the job. Granted Magic hired one of the younger keen eyes for talent these days in Ryan West, the son of the Icon, as an assistant GM. Eventually, if the ultimate buck stops with Johnson then he is going to have venture out to way more college games than I not sure he really wants that part of the job as the top CEO of the Lakers.

We shall see though how this all plays out.

I think the "going out and scouting" is a bit overstated. If Ryan West, Joey and Jesse Buss are as good at evaluating talent as folks are saying, Magic should be able to just look at a short list of players those guys put together to help make a final call on who to get. Apparently, Luke will also have a big say in who they target as well. From the "sound" of what's being said, Magic is going to take a bit of a Dr. Buss approach, which is smart, imo. He was quoted as saying "I'm going to have to hire people smarter than me."

There's no doubt however, that he will have to be more involved in the day to day than Phil has been in New York. He seems ready to do that. He has given up his gig with ABC and is apparently taking a big step back from the Dodgers as well. His businesses essentially run themselves because he took the Dr. Buss approach on those.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going out and scouting is not overstated TJF12. You'll routinely find Pat Riley (at his age), Lawrence Franks, and Paul Rivers to name a few at many college basketball games scouting players all over the country. Certainly Magic can choose to be just a the face of the franchise and let others bring him players but many of his colleagues are doing the work firsthand and that may be the edge that Magic will not necessarily have.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okafor is rumored to be moved. The Lakers are in play and so are the Queens. Maybe will end up with Okafor as well.

That would depend on the cost in trade. Not big on Okafor as a fit, would rather see Zubac continue to get more minutes.

kobesgame

Fucking C**t Lawyer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would depend on the cost in trade. Not big on Okafor as a fit, would rather see Zubac continue to get more minutes.

I've heard the rumors they are involved in talks, but nothing about what the compensation would be. Has anyone heard anything about that at all?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing yet. Although I have see speculation that Magic wants to move Mosgov because of that contract and he is not playing anywhere near its value. Zubac is probably going to get major minutes and Black is playing well.

kobesgame

Fucking C**t Lawyer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing yet. Although I have see speculation that Magic wants to move Mosgov because of that contract and he is not playing anywhere near its value. Zubac is probably going to get major minutes and Black is playing well.

I'd move Mozgov and Deng for almost zero return. But something tells me Philly would have no interest in either of those contracts either.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going out and scouting is not overstated TJF12. You'll routinely find Pat Riley (at his age), Lawrence Franks, and Paul Rivers to name a few at many college basketball games scouting players all over the country. Certainly Magic can choose to be just a the face of the franchise and let others bring him players but many of his colleagues are doing the work firsthand and that may be the edge that Magic will not necessarily have.
I get that you are not excited about magic lol. I am happy about the magic hire. Time for change.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember this trade?

2008: Pau Gasol to Los Angeles
Who the Lakers got: Pau Gasol and a second-round pick in the 2010 draft.

Who the Grizzlies got: Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, Marc Gasol(draft rights), a first-round pick in the 2008 draft and a first-round pick in the 2010 draft.

The result: Though this trade went down three weeks before the actual deadline, it was one of the most significant in-season moves in NBA history, so we couldn't leave it off the list. Pau Gasol, one of the league's most dominant big men at the time, didn't lose a step alongside Kobe Bryant in L.A., and the Lakers won back-to-back titles in his first two full seasons. It wasn't all bad in Memphis, though. The move cleared up space that set up the Grizzlies for success still being felt today, led by Marc, the younger Gasol, who has followed in his big brother's footsteps on the path to the upper echelon of NBA bigs.

Championships were on the way...