• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2016 Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng might want to retire if encouraged like Metta and then the Lakers could use the stretch provision on Mosgov who is just a waste. Period. Calderon is going to just be released outright.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng might want to retire if encouraged like Metta and then the Lakers could use the stretch provision on Mosgov who is just a waste. Period. Calderon is going to just be released outright.

Officially released on Monday (likely to sign with the Warriors).

Lakers signed guard David Nwaba (DFenders, Cal Poly Obispo) to a 10 day contract with that roster spot. He's an athletic defender at the guard spot apparently.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I am sure his increased chances of getting a ring by signing with the Warriors was one of the primary factors that will lead him there if they even want him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game last night. They were competitive the whole way, kept it close, game was entertaining, but also improved their chances at keeping the pick.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game last night. They were competitive the whole way, kept it close, game was entertaining, but also improved their chances at keeping the pick.

I was a little nervous towards the end when Nick hit back-to-back threes. Luckily, they reverted to form and blew the lead. PROTECT THE TANK!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seven straight losses and we now move into the number two spot. If we keep this up and Brooklyn continues to win, we may just take over the number one spot and have the maximum chance to get the number one overall pick in this year's draft. Then getting Houston's number one, we are sitting pretty!! Good move by Magic and company and we are definitely moving in a favorable with Magic at the helm so far.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The move for Deng to coach-dom may be in play. He and Mosgov have been relegated to the bench and Deng has been on the inactive list even though being healthy. Since we are probably going to tank the rest of the season, these two are not going to see much playing time going forward. What the Lakers do to rid themselves of $136 million tied up between these two is up to Magic and Pelinka to figure out going into the summer.

Lakers News: Luol Deng Not Angered By Move To Inactive List - Lakers Nation

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see this team finishing higher then the third worse, or may get second worse record. I don't see more then 2-3 wins the rest of the season.. They are seriously tanking. Good call luke!! It appears they are looking to see if either Clarkson or Russell will be the point next year or they will draft one and trade Russell IMO.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed Tomodach. The tank is definitely on as the Lakers now have the opportunity to improve their chances of keeping a top three pick and to not give away our pick in 2019 to Orlando. We will soon be past the awful Dwightmare and Nash trades.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see this team finishing higher then the third worse, or may get second worse record. I don't see more then 2-3 wins the rest of the season.. They are seriously tanking. Good call luke!! It appears they are looking to see if either Clarkson or Russell will be the point next year or they will draft one and trade Russell IMO.

Yeah, it's definitely full tank mode, which is fine. I'm not sure the Russell/Clarkson thing is about looking to trade Russell. I think it may be more about drafting a PG and sliding Russell over to the 2 spot.

Remember, our starting 2 guard has been Nick Young. While he has played well, he is what 32? He's not going to be part of the future when the Lakers are relevant again and there has been some thought that Russell may be better suited for the 2 guard role.

If the Lakers keep their pick I could see a future that has, for example, Ball or Fultz at point, Russell at the 2 and Clarkson as the 6th man.

It'll be another very interesting off season with the Lakers having a lot of decisions to make.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Magic/Pelinka pairing to run the basketball side is off to a good start in the "saying the right things" department.

Apparently, they are going to approach everything as a collaborative effort with everyone giving their input and listened to. This is apparently going to include Pelinka, Magic, Jeanie, Ryan West, Luke, etc.

They have also looked at all of the players who are set to become FA's in the next 5 years and are deciding which ones to target and how to best approach them about joining the Lakers. Personally, I think this is where we will see the true value of Pelinka. Having been an agent, he knows what players are looking for and how to talk to them.

Pelinka also addressed the team prior to the game vs. the Sixers and said that they would be meeting with each player individually and offering feedback on their development as well as looking to get the players insight on the direction of the franchise.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's definitely full tank mode, which is fine. I'm not sure the Russell/Clarkson thing is about looking to trade Russell. I think it may be more about drafting a PG and sliding Russell over to the 2 spot.

Remember, our starting 2 guard has been Nick Young. While he has played well, he is what 32? He's not going to be part of the future when the Lakers are relevant again and there has been some thought that Russell may be better suited for the 2 guard role.

If the Lakers keep their pick I could see a future that has, for example, Ball or Fultz at point, Russell at the 2 and Clarkson as the 6th man.

It'll be another very interesting off season with the Lakers having a lot of decisions to make.
That is a very good possibility as Clarkson or Russell at the two but I think fultz is more of a combo guard. If they get a pg, I still see them moving Russell and keeping Clarkson. I wish a great big man was in this draft.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a very good possibility as Clarkson or Russell at the two but I think fultz is more of a combo guard. If they get a pg, I still see them moving Russell and keeping Clarkson. I wish a great big man was in this draft.

A great big man would be nice, but Zubac seems to be developing nicely. I think the kid has a bright future.

I like his confidence too. He's a first round talent, but slipped to the Lakers in the 2nd round because he refused to be a "Euro-stash" guy.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng might want to retire if encouraged like Metta

That would be great. I wonder what the salary cap rule is if he retires. I know that his contract is guaranteed, so the Lakers are on the hook for the money either way. But I wonder what it does to their cap if he retires?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Lakers could use the stretch provision on Mosgov who is just a waste.

I'm not sure I'd necessarily give up on Mozgov right away. If Deng retires and it provides cap relief, stretching Mozgov become less necessary.

Not all of Mozgov's issues were his fault, imo. He was supposed to be a rim protector and mentor to Zubac. He has fulfilled the mentor role. As for rim protector, the Lakers perimeter defense is horrible. It's hard to protect the rim when guys are dropping 3's on you and running unchallenged to the basket.

It's possible that with improved perimeter defense, Mozgov could do a better job as a rim protector. Although, if Zubac continues to develop, the Lakers may not need him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the top 3 in the upcoming draft are all point guards and all have some differences to their game.

Ball appears to be the best passer of the 3 and probably has the best offensive skills.

Jackson appears to be the best defender of the 3.

Fultz appears to be the best all around. He's better offensively than Jackson and better than Ball defensively.

Assuming the Lakers get the top pick...who ya got?

For me, it's Jackson for his defense, followed by Fultz, then Ball.

But I don't think they can go wrong with any of them.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the top 3 in the upcoming draft are all point guards and all have some differences to their game.

Ball appears to be the best passer of the 3 and probably has the best offensive skills.

Fultz appears to be the best all around. He's better offensively than Jackson and better than Ball defensively.

Jackson is a SF/wing. Dennis Smith Jr is the other PG at the top of the board. I actually like him over Ball with Fultz at #1

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. We are sitting pretty with the second position pretty much secure for now. I like all three. It depends if the Celts sneak in and get the top pick. Then all the mocks suggest they like Fultz. If we get the top pick, the point is moot.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

honestly if you youtube balls open court passing, offense, you just cant pass him up. Hes amazing for 19. I dont give 2 shits about college but this kid is gonna be an all star sooner than later.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly if you youtube balls open court passing, offense, you just cant pass him up. Hes amazing for 19. I dont give 2 shits about college but this kid is gonna be an all star sooner than later.
I agree ball seems like the next great PG. Now I see what tj said about Clarkson being a six man with Russell at the 2. I hope that happens.