• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Herbstreit: These 8 Teams Will Contend For The Playoffs

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Saban know about this? Because we don't actually have depth charts, we have groupings.

Tracking all 13 Alabama true freshmen who've played so far

We played 13 true freshman alone last year in the first month of the season.

Not redshirt freshman, true freshman.

Whoopidity doo. UM played 17 TRUE FRESHMAN against just Hawaii last year in the first game of the season. Newsflash, every team does this to give the new guys some experience in game action. It doesn't mean they are starters being relied upon to play the majority of the snaps.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama starts 10-15 freshman or sophomore every year.

Alabamas freshmen and sophomores aren't the same as everybody's freshman and sophomores. Bama gets the 5* kid whos got a grown man body already and dominating everyone in high school. Ohio State gets those too. USC gets some but no where near the amount that those two get. Everyone else gets talented players but they arent all in grown men bodies. One of the reasons Most schools redshirt is so the kid will fill out some and be able to play with 20 year olds. I'm not knocking bama and ohio state. Just saying that Bama starting 10 freshmen isn't anything bad for them like it would be for most. Just look at the RB Alabama got out of Cali (only player Bama got that Ive seen play HS ball in person). He's already got an NFL body and hasn't played a down of college ball.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoopidity doo. UM played 17 TRUE FRESHMAN against just Hawaii last year in the first game of the season. Newsflash, every team does this to give the new guys some experience in game action. It doesn't mean they are starters being relied upon to play the majority of the snaps.

You are aware that in college football, part of your team graduates/moves on every year, and the people who played as backups last year are the ones who get playing time this coming year right?

Do you think Alabama burned all those redshirts on players who are just going to be expected to play mop up duty this year?

As I said, Alabama doesn't have depth charts, it has groupings. According to what you would call a "starter", Alabama apparently had multiple "backups" drafted into the NFL this year. Most all those players who had their redshirts burned last year will be significant "contributors"(that's what Saban calls them, rather than starters). Many of them were last year.

It's college football, "young" is part of the game. Everyone is turning over much of the team every year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabamas freshmen and sophomores aren't the same as everybody's freshman and sophomores. Bama gets the 5* kid whos got a grown man body already and dominating everyone in high school. Ohio State gets those too. USC gets some but no where near the amount that those two get. Everyone else gets talented players but they arent all in grown men bodies. One of the reasons Most schools redshirt is so the kid will fill out some and be able to play with 20 year olds. I'm not knocking bama and ohio state. Just saying that Bama starting 10 freshmen isn't anything bad for them like it would be for most. Just look at the RB Alabama got out of Cali (only player Bama got that Ive seen play HS ball in person). He's already got an NFL body and hasn't played a down of college ball.

Yes, Alabama is better and more talented than most, but it's the same thing across college football. The players might not be as good as Alabama's, but you still have older guys moving on and younger guys filling in roles fast.

My point is that even at the top level this is what teams have to deal with every year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are aware that in college football, part of your team graduates/moves on every year, and the people who played as backups last year are the ones who get playing time this coming year right?

Do you think Alabama burned all those redshirts on players who are just going to be expected to play mop up duty this year?

As I said, Alabama doesn't have depth charts, it has groupings. According to what you would call a "starter", Alabama apparently had multiple "backups" drafted into the NFL this year. Most all those players who had their redshirts burned last year will be significant "contributors"(that's what Saban calls them, rather than starters). Many of them were last year.

It's college football, "young" is part of the game. Everyone is turning over much of the team every year.

Stop. Once you realize Alabama isn't inventing the wheel and all teams have rotational players and situational players -- it doesn't mean they are starters, it means they are good at a certain situation and the coaches uses them in those situations.

If that is the case -- UM is returning 10 or 11 starters, even though they graduated 10 starters on defense and 8 starters on offense, because the entire DL spelled the starters throughout the year. Chase Winovich was used in obvious passing downs.

If you can't figure out who your starters are -- look at any close game Alabama was in and look at who played the majority of the snaps.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, backups get drafted all the time. Hell, UM's starting CB's were Jourdan Lewis and Channing Stribbling. Yet Channing Stribbling went undrafted and Jeremy Clark (his backup) was drafted.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop. Once you realize Alabama isn't inventing the wheel and all teams have rotational players and situational players -- it doesn't mean they are starters, it means they are good at a certain situation and the coaches uses them in those situations.

If that is the case -- UM is returning 10 or 11 starters, even though they graduated 10 starters on defense and 8 starters on offense, because the entire DL spelled the starters throughout the year. Chase Winovich was used in obvious passing downs.

If you can't figure out who your starters are -- look at any close game Alabama was in and look at who played the majority of the snaps.

If you want to be anal, isn't the guy who takes the first snap the starter?

The term "starter" is nothing but media fodder to suggest experience. What matters is not some silly rank on who got the most snaps, but game time experience. When you have players who have played significant playing time in the previous years, then that's the same fucking thing as a starter.

These are not players who come in only for backup duty during garbage time, these are players who have roles on the team and contribute when the games are on the line.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to be anal, isn't the guy who takes the first snap the starter?

The term "starter" is nothing but media fodder to suggest experience. What matters is not some silly rank on who got the most snaps, but game time experience. When you have players who have played significant playing time in the previous years, then that's the same fucking thing as a starter.

These are not players who come in only for backup duty during garbage time, these are players who have roles on the team and contribute when the games are on the line.

I believe you need to re-think who is being 'anal' -- you are the one who said "Alabama has 10-15 freshman and sophomore starters every year".

Situational players are not starters -- they are exactly what they are called. Players who are only used in certain situations. Rotational players are not starters -- they are exactly what they are called. They rotate in when the starter needs a breather.

Posting an article that says Bama played 13 freshman the first month is pointless. Every team who plans to keep a players on the depth chart will get snaps in the first month.......why?.......because the majority of the games are blowouts and it gives them live experience. Why do they need live experience, because if someone is injured they move up the depth chart and could be used for meaningful snaps.

It'd be like me saying John O'Korn was our starting QB because he saw time in so many games last year. Or Chase Winovich was our starting DE, because they'd bring him in on 3rd and long to rush the passer. Or Khalid Hill was our starting RB because he would get the ball as the RB on goal line plays.

Anal is trying to say every team in college football has 22 starters on offense and defense combined EXCEPT Alabama.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you need to re-think who is being 'anal' -- you are the one who said "Alabama has 10-15 freshman and sophomore starters every year".

Situational players are not starters -- they are exactly what they are called. Players who are only used in certain situations. Rotational players are not starters -- they are exactly what they are called. They rotate in when the starter needs a breather.

No dipshit, they don't rotate in when the starter needs a breather. They are not "backups", it's about player groupings. Who is in depends on what defense we are playing, NOT based on if people are tired or not.

Posting an article that says Bama played 13 freshman the first month is pointless. Every team who plans to keep a players on the depth chart will get snaps in the first month.......why?.......because the majority of the games are blowouts and it gives them live experience. Why do they need live experience, because if someone is injured they move up the depth chart and could be used for meaningful snaps.

13 freshman that burned their redshirts = 13 freshmen who are expected to see significant playing time in the near future. The kids that aren't going to be playing in the near future are the ones who redshirt.

Stay with me, this next step may be a little difficult for you. That article was from last year, and that means this coming year they will be sophomores and they will be playing a good bit.

It'd be like me saying John O'Korn was our starting QB because he saw time in so many games last year. Or Chase Winovich was our starting DE, because they'd bring him in on 3rd and long to rush the passer. Or Khalid Hill was our starting RB because he would get the ball as the RB on goal line plays.

The QB is a backup, because he comes in only as a backup, not to fill a role. The others sound like players who have roles, so pretending like there is a gap in your roster without experience is wrong. Do they have experience in their roles? Yep. Did they do those roles when the games were on the line? Yep. But yet, you act like you a replacing their position because of a "starter" label.

Just because they have a limited role doesn't mean they didn't start at their role. A punter doesn't do anything but kick the ball in like 5 or so plays a game, but it's his role and he's a starter at his role.

Anal is trying to say every team in college football has 22 starters on offense and defense combined EXCEPT Alabama.

I didn't say that at all, so I guess you are just desperate.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the point of releasing a depth chart in college football?

Doesn't seem like most coaches are giving a shit about labels like "Starters". It's a bunch of guys who contribute, and they put "OR" for who they name as "starters".

To release a depth chart would be disingenuous, because we don’t have a depth chart. It’s so fluid and so many players contribute,” Mora said Monday. “If you list Player X as your third-team slot, but he plays one-third of the plays, is he really your third-team slot? No. That’s the reasoning. Plus nobody tells me I have to. In the NFL, you have to. Here, you don’t have to.”

Sounds familiar.

“In my years in the NFL, I released a depth chart because it was mandatory. At UCLA, I couldn’t release a depth chart, because we don’t have a depth chart,” Mora said. “We have a stable of guys who can contribute, and each week, depending on what we’re doing, who we’re playing, health, it’s very fluid. It’s not to be sneaky. It’s not try to confuse our opponent or not let them know — that’s the furthest thing from my mind. It’s just, I don’t really care about a depth chart. It doesn’t make sense to me at this level with how many guys contribute.”

OL and QB is about the only places where you'll see real full time players, along with better WR's. RB's occasionally, but the rest is just a big ass rotation.

"Depth charts" and "Starters" are shit the media uses for headlines and to have things to write about, but it's not an accurate account of what goes on.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone say anal?

You do realize that t-bagging does not necessarily mean anal...

Although, it can involve it if you're doing it right.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all in the hips.
9f5.gif

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to set the record straight, Alabama does NOT start 10 or 11 freshmen every year. They do manage to get young players in for significant playing time, but that does not make them starters. It does make them seasoned players, though.

Also for the record, I think Kirk Herbstreit was pretty accurate in his assessment of the 8 teams most likely to be in the playoff hunt next year. Clemson might be his shakiest pick. Oklahoma or Auburn might have a better chance. I think LSU is a fairly solid pick.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to take this time and point that the little focker known as Herbie is now on the Washington band wagon.......

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....who does Herbie work for now?