• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi to Toronto

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude JaVale McGee is not the starting center man- if he is that is a disaster. The guy has not played 20 minutes a game in about half a decade.

I agree. But who else right now? I think they can play him 20 minutes, but it has to be in 5 minute increments. The Warriors showed he can be somewhat effective if you handle him right.

I expect a lot of small ball this season. lol

I am really surprised there is not some kind of vet. min big man they have brought in who could at least provide some depth and stability and professionalism.

I think they still have a little bit of room. Maybe they sign someone? Don't know who's available though.

The Lakers shooting, and their rebounding will be a concern if you ask me. Playmaking wont be- thats for sure- and perimeter defense should be a strength-- but interior defense, defensive rebouding and 3 pt shooting look to be rough spots. A big man rotation of Kuzma, Zubac, Wagner, McGee is really pretty shitty for a big man rotation- and thats with me saying i think Kuzma has potential to be a very good fit around LeBron, and a stretch 4 that can make some plays and move his feet well.

We'll have to see on the 3 point shooting (agree with everything else). I think it's going to be better than a lot of folks seem to. Ingram, Kuzma, Hart and KCP can all shoot it (although KCP tends to be streaky). Lebron can also shoot the 3. Plus, his presence on the floor should lead to more open looks for everyone.

I'm not saying 3 point shooting will necessarily be a strength, I just don't think it's going to be the weak spot it was last year. Considering they were the worst or close to it last year, if they just shoot the NBA average or close to it, it'll be huge for them.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To your point, McGee hasn't played 20 minutes a game in 8 years.

He's 30.....not 35-36.

If he plays 18mpg.....that's fine.They'll also play Zublocka for 12-15mpg, Wagner, and even James at the 5 for a few minutes in a small ball lineup.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People acting like 20mpg is 38-40mpg and he's an ancient dinosaur.....

:lol:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 30.....not 35-36.

If he plays 18mpg.....that's fine.They'll also play Zublocka for 12-15mpg, Wagner, and even James at the 5 for a few minutes in a small ball lineup.

The problem with McGee is that he is a foul machine.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think age is the concern. I think the concern is that the chances of him doing something to end up on Shaqtin'-A-Fool increase the more you play him. Once you hit 20 minutes, it's almost a certainty that he will.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think age is the concern. I think the concern is that the chances of him doing something to end up on Shaqtin'-A-Fool increase the more you play him. Once you hit 20 minutes, it's almost a certainty that he will.

We'll see....I think they know what they are doing......they'll manage his minutes.....

If you were talking about him starting and playing 30-plus minutes......that's something altogether different than say 18-20mpg.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To your point, McGee hasn't played 20 minutes a game in 8 years.
at this point anyway- as i said- i think Kuzma is a guy that deserves his 25-32 minutes a night. Other than that- Zubac, Wagner and McGee is a disaster for a team trying to win as a front court rotation. Everything that I saw had Wagner as a 2nd round pick. McGee is not a guy who deserves real NBA minutes and Zubac couldnt get run on a bad team. Wagner at least has some potential as a stretch big down the line a little bit- but right now those 3 guys are guys you want as your 13th, 14th, 15th players on your roster- not guys you will count on to play real minutes in the front court.

If they could get a Taj Gibson type- or maybe not even someone that good- just someone you felt comfortable with playing 25 minutes a game to play decent defense and be tough on the defensive boards, and able to screen at the top- I would feel WAAAAY better about the Lakers in a potential matchup against teams that have competent options like the Thunder, Jazz, Blazers, Pelicans, Nuggets, etc.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i am just acting like he sucks man. lol....not that he is a dinosaur- that he just doesnt deserve real nba minutes.

I mean shit- the Cavs just resigned channing frye to a vet min--- not that i think he would have been a perfect fit with the Lakers- but at least hes a guy that is a competent, professional NBA player. Thats what they need in the front court more than anything. Some vet who's smart, will know their role, and just be a garbage man- almost like West was for the Warriors before he got cooked- or Pachulia etc. just something like that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with McGee is that he is a foul machine.
hes a foul machine, hes not smart, hes too lanky and googly (googly? lol- whats the word i am looking for? lurpy?) to switch the pick and roll. he is an incompetent passer and incompetent outside shooter.

he gives you a little rim protection and a little athleticism rolling to the hoop when he is not shitting on himself.

If hte Lakers got a Taj Gibson type - id probably put them right there with the Jazz and Thunder in the West (and maybe inch them ahead of those teams to the 3rd team in the West).

The Lakers do have some nice perimeter defense options with LeBron, Stephenson, KCP, ----Rondo's reputation as a defender is much better than what he actually is at this point, but hes better at defense than a sieve like Kyrie was with the Cavs, Ball has the size to be a good defender......their perimeter defense should be one of their strengths.

but i just see them getting raped inside and on the boards. Ball is a great rebounder for a PG and so is Rondo- so that should help- and Bron can definitely play the 4 (even though he hates playing down low- or at least has historically) - so those guys hsould help--- but Kuzma's strength will be his offense as a stretch 4 and cutter to the bucket--- hes a little undersized as a big man against some guys he will prob be expected to defend- and hes the best of them.

I mean- say the Lakers are playing the Jazz and Rudy Gobert, and Derrick Favors, or the Pels and Randle and Davis...the front court is where they are going to get eaten up.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the lakers, the only players off limits in a trade with Toronto for kawhi would be Lebron and maybe kuzma.
Ingram is the better player.

I love Kuz.

But, Ingram has the better skill set and the higher ceiling.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am just acting like he sucks man. lol....not that he is a dinosaur- that he just doesnt deserve real nba minutes.

I mean shit- the Cavs just resigned channing frye to a vet min--- not that i think he would have been a perfect fit with the Lakers- but at least hes a guy that is a competent, professional NBA player. Thats what they need in the front court more than anything. Some vet who's smart, will know their role, and just be a garbage man- almost like West was for the Warriors before he got cooked- or Pachulia etc. just something like that.

Except, Frye provides no toughness or defense....

Pelinka: Lakers designed to combat Warriors

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except, Frye provides no toughness or defense....

Pelinka: Lakers designed to combat Warriors
i think frye is a tough player- and he palyed better defense than expected with the cavs--- but i agree- overall he is not a good defensive player- -- as i said he wouldtnt have been the ideal fit- but he would have been a guy who is a pro, knows what he is doing, and provide 20-25 minutes of competent Big man play. He is an actual real bonafide NBA player that has played in big games and knows how to play the game.

Especially with LeBron- he is a good fit with his crazy shooting.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

McGee is a situational player.

With the Warriors, he would go whole games without seeing the floor and then they put him in when a good matchup presented itself.

This guy is not a every game player.

So, he most certainly should not be a starter.

He and Zubac suffer from the same affliction.

They chase Every. Single. Shot.

Which leads to a ton of fouls or some sort of fuckery.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think frye is a tough player- and he palyed better defense than expected with the cavs--- but i agree- overall he is not a good defensive player- -- as i said he wouldtnt have been the ideal fit- but he would have been a guy who is a pro, knows what he is doing, and provide 20-25 minutes of competent Big man play. He is an actual real bonafide NBA player that has played in big games and knows how to play the game.

Especially with LeBron- he is a good fit with his crazy shooting.

The Lakers couldn't fix everything in 1 offseason. Unless, they got 2 max players and obviously they didn't.

They added James and filled in around him.....clearly Magic and Pelinka have a plan. We'll see how well it can be executed.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was more getting a shot at a top 10 player. If he doesn’t stay in Toronto, they get out of nba hell, which is a playoff team, but not a contender. If he stays, it’s still a great trade. The raptors weren’t a serious contender, even to get out of the east, with DeRozan. With Kawhi (and Danny Green) they have a much better chance.

People were saying the same thing about PG last year. If you ask me about the whole situation, I think kawhi has been a massive bitch ever since the Spurs player meeting to get him to start playing last year.

I get it from Toronto's perspective. The Spurs are the ones that have me confused. They just willingly signed up for NBA hell. Derozan/Gay/Aldridge as your talent core? That might have worked a decade ago...