• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kam Chancellor Hold out?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think that's funny, lambeaulurker, tune in September 20 when once again Rodgers will piss down his leg against this team.

The pregame discussion: will "the best player in the game" finally sack up and throw downfield against these guys?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract that Kam Chancellor signed pays him an average of $7,000,000 a year.

Let's put that into perspective for a second.

The median wage in the United States per person is $26,695 per year. Let's round that up to $30,000. Do you know how many years it would take the average American to make $7,000,000? 233 years. Making the assumption the average person works 50 years in their lifetime, it would take the average American almost 5 lifetimes to make what Chancellor makes in an average year.

I have zero sympathy whatsoever for anyone who gets paid $7m a year and wants a bit more.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract that Kam Chancellor signed pays him an average of $7,000,000 a year.

The median wage in the United States per person is $26,695 per year. Let's round that up to $30,000. Do you know how many years it would take the average American to make $7,000,000? 233 years. Making the assumption the average person works 50 years in their lifetime, it would take the average American almost 5 lifetimes to make what Chancellor makes in an average year.

I have zero sympathy whatsoever for anyone who gets paid $7m a year and wants a bit more.

The only perspective worth putting it in is in NFL standards though. But it's getting to the point where I'm starting to think we should just say fuck him. This is stupid. If his agent were smart he'd have him sit out next season when guys are coming off the books. Instead he's holding out when they just signed two huge deals with Wagner and Wilson. It's fucking stupid.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people always say, "won't get my sympathy" ? Does it seem like he wants it?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No offense, but what Joe blow makes doesn't matter. If you were making X amount of dollars and were top notched, but other that don't perform as well makes more ( doing the same job) your going to ask for a raise. Doesn't matter that you make more then the general joe blow.

That being said, I don't think Kam is being under paid.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only perspective worth putting it in is in NFL standards though. But it's getting to the point where I'm starting to think we should just say fuck him. This is stupid. If his agent were smart he'd have him sit out next season when guys are coming off the books. Instead he's holding out when they just signed two huge deals with Wagner and Wilson. It's fucking stupid.

Even when you put it into NFL standards, I believe the only two starting strong safeties in the NFL who get paid more than him are Eric Berry and Reshad Jones. Eric Berry is better and Reshad Jones makes less than a million per year than Kam, so I'm unsure what his beef is.

His contract is befitting of the player he is.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but what Joe blow makes doesn't matter. If you were making X amount of dollars and were top notched, but other that don't perform as well makes more ( doing the same job) your going to ask for a raise. Doesn't matter that you make more then the general joe blow.

That being said, I don't think Kam is being under paid.

I mostly brought up that point to illustrate how ridiculous this whole thing is.

Kam's salary is right where it should be. If anything, there is a stronger argument to be made that he is overpaid than underpaid.

At least with Michael Bennett I can see why he's bitching. I believe that there are something like 11 or 12 4-3 DEs paid more than he is, and he definitely better than at least half of those guys.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even when you put it into NFL standards, I believe the only two starting strong safeties in the NFL who get paid more than him are Eric Berry and Reshad Jones. Eric Berry is better and Reshad Jones makes less than a million per year than Kam, so I'm unsure what his beef is.

His contract is befitting of the player he is.

This is what his beef is.

Why it sucks to be Kam Chancellor right now - Field Gulls

Those guys you listed have security beyond this year, Kam doesnt.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps my lack of caring mostly comes from the fact that I have always seen Kam as someone who could be replaced.

He's a liability in coverage, he is great against the run - probably better than any other safety in the NFL, but he is mediocre at best in coverage and that would be a problem if the Seahawks didn't have a player like Earl Thomas at free safety. The talent on the Seahawks defense allows us to run schemes that don't rely much on our strong safety for pass coverage, put him in another system with your average FS and CB and Kam becomes a liability.

In terms of value added to the team, I'd place him below Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, Bennett, Lynch, Wilson, Graham and Okung.

He's an exceptional player who really sets the tone for this defense, but with the defense he has around him, he can be replaced. 95% of other defenses, he wouldn't be as good of a player in.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't have agreed to that extension then.

I can agree with that. But then he would probably have been somewhere else knocking heads the past couple years, so I'm glad he signed it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam wants security because he plays violent and may have a short career, for the same reasons the Seahawks feel it's prudent not to offer that security. Much as I like Kam ( my favorite Seahawks player) I'm on management side.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps my lack of caring mostly comes from the fact that I have always seen Kam as someone who could be replaced.

He's a liability in coverage, he is great against the run - probably better than any other safety in the NFL, but he is mediocre at best in coverage and that would be a problem if the Seahawks didn't have a player like Earl Thomas at free safety. The talent on the Seahawks defense allows us to run schemes that don't rely much on our strong safety for pass coverage, put him in another system with your average FS and CB and Kam becomes a liability.

In terms of value added to the team, I'd place him below Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, Bennett, Lynch, Wilson, Graham and Okung.

He's an exceptional player who really sets the tone for this defense, but with the defense he has around him, he can be replaced. 95% of other defenses, he wouldn't be as good of a player in.

In that case, you should be happy with it. The Hawks aren't going to budge. And if he sits out, he won't get paid, and that cap space will roll over to next year. If he's truly replacable, they'll be fine.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seahawks can replace him, but I doubt who ever that player is, will bring it like Kam. It will be someone more run of the mill. It will be a lose for the Seahawks, less intimidation, possibly better coverage skills, but not by much. Never the less I want the Seahawks to hold firm.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is being greedy and thinking only of himself. Real early in his contract to ask for more money. If they give him anything, next season we will have a dozen holdouts. I say fuck it, trade his sorry ass. That would set a much better precedent for these greedy assholes!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is being greedy and thinking only of himself. Real early in his contract to ask for more money. If they give him anything, next season we will have a dozen holdouts. I say fuck it, trade his sorry ass. That would set a much better precedent for these greedy assholes!

That's harsh, everyone thinks of himself first. I rather the Seahawks just hold firm.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it comes to it, make Kam request a trade.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can disagree all we want, but this is our reality now. Kam wants more security and more money and is threatening to sit out the entire season. Obviously that's stupid as he'd lose a lot more than he'd gain and it's probably just a bluff to create leverage, just like the shit that was said back and forth in the Wilson negotiation when everyone was freaking out over things said to create leverage.

If he's not in camp by the end of this coming week I'm betting he does miss games and at that point fuck him. If he's back in time to not hurt the team going into the season then no big deal to me.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's harsh, everyone thinks of himself first. I rather the Seahawks just hold firm.

I think we're on the same page, Harold. I want the Hawks to stand firm because it's what's best for the team. But I'm bothered by all the, "greedy", "selfish", "stupid", "fuck him" talk about this guy. After this year, he could very well be a cap casualty and the Hawks would not have much financial penalty if so. He may not have shit for leverage now, but he'll have even less as his contract goes on. He recognizes this and is looking after his interests in making sure that doesn't screw himself over. That doesn't make him any of those things. It's his choice as an independent contractor to set his value and choose to play (or not play) for that number. I think often we look at the big numbers that most of us will never see and get blinded to the fact that the service they provide is one where they pay a serious physical toll. Like I said, I don't want the Hawks to budge. But I can't fault a guy for having hard line principles and looking out for the long term interests of his body, career and family.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam is great but replaceable. I love the guy and no doubt he's a threat on the field, but Seattle's D last night looked just as great without him and Richard Sherman wasn't even playing. It's obvious Bobby Wagner/Earl Thomas are the key cogs in that defense considering the cover 3 without Thomas is weakened and Wagner is such an enforcer on the run and mid part of the field.

Kam has like the easiest job. He just has to cover the mid part of the field 90% of the time since Thomas/Sherman get everything deep and just lay out big hits and cover TE/WRs at times when KJ Wright isn't already doing that.

Honestly if Kam starts bitching next year as well and pulling this crap I'd be fine just trading him for a 2nd rounder to some desperate team and replacing him via rookies that are hungry. We can't really do anything this year (trade/release) because his dead cap is more than his normal cap hit. That said, Kam will play once the season starts... he knows if he didn't play at all Seattle would trade/release him and that's prob. not what he wants.