• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kam Chancellor Hold out?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think there is going to be a line drawn in the sand that is probably somewhere around the 3rd preseason game. Kam and his people will be told that if he hasn't joined the team by that date that all fines he's been racking up will be enforced fully. Join the team before that cutoff and the fines will be forgiven. That's the most concession he will get IMO. No new deals or conversions of money for safety.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think there is going to be a line drawn in the sand that is probably somewhere around the 3rd preseason game. Kam and his people will be told that if he hasn't joined the team by that date that all fines he's been racking up will be enforced fully. Join the team before that cutoff and the fines will be forgiven. That's the most concession he will get IMO. No new deals or conversions of money for safety.

Bummer, because he's gonna be a little rusty if he doesn't put any work in ... We have a couple tough games starting the season.... Hopefully something get's done before that... Seahawks have all the leverage here, Kam has nothing to stand on ..

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can never fault anyone for doing what they think is best for their family or themselves.

...mile in their shoes.

I guess, but perhaps Kam (and other millionaire athletes) should walk a mile in the shoes of 90% of their fans who don't have the luxury of playing a game for 7 or 8 figures. The grass is much greener on their side of the fence.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess, but perhaps Kam (and other millionaire athletes) should walk a mile in the shoes of 90% of their fans who don't have the luxury of playing a game for 7 or 8 figures. The grass is much greener on their side of the fence.

It is.

Before he got to the nfl, he was part of that 90%. And Kams a smart guy, he knows that in a few years, he'll probably be right back there.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Somewhat true. I think there is good and bad to both sides of this. Yes many of us would love to have a job that we could do for a few years and make the type of money that they do. At the same time the level of life after football for many of these guys is pretty sub par. Heck I know of one Bronco player that has had to have close to 30 surgeries since he left football and can't sit in a regular chair any longer or pick up his kids because of the abuse that he put his body through. Throw in the life expectancy of an NFL player is decently shorter than that of a regular person. We also have all the concussions these guys go through. We have the whole a good chunk of these guys are broke within 5 years partly because they were never taught how to manage money. Many of them then because they left college early then do not have the education background to go get a decent job to provide for their families. So there is definitely the huge pay off from being an NFL player but there are plenty of negatives too that are behind the scenes that many of us never see.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from nfl.com

We all know that the NFL can be a cruel place, but Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor might be finding that out first hand while holding out of training camp.

After all, one of the players Seattle is replacing him with is ... his half brother.

"You know, my brother is still here in spirit,"Keenan Lambert, who shares a mother with Chancellor and is four years younger, told The Seattle Times. "I talk to him daily. He critiques the film for me. Gives me little pointers on what I can improve on. Even if I have a great day like today there's always something to improve on that he will find for me to get better at."

Lambert, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound safety out of Norfolk State in Virginia, has been turning heads in camp so far. His highlight reel includes several big plays on the newly acquired Jimmy Graham.

While he's done nothing but sing Chancellor's praises since he's been away, there's no doubt a hungry undrafted free agent is welcoming the increased playing time.

"Kam has a great heart," Lambert said. "Regardless (of the holdout), Kam is going to be the best man he can be, the best teammate he can be, the best brother. Kam watches the film, texts all the players and offers pointers on how to be a better team player."

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam loses even more leverage if the guys replacing him are stepping up to the plate. I really don't want him to come back with a bad attitude though. I hope the two sides actually are keeping everything as civil as they say they are.

And who knows, maybe Kam is doing this more for his half-brother and allow him to get that many more reps. Even if that isn't true (and it almost definitely isn't) it would be a GREAT way for Kam to spin this into a net positive for him without actually getting any bump in salary

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure it this has been posted yet but here goes

Chancellor was under impression he’d get a new deal

With #DeflateGate and #FistsOfFury it’s been easy to forget what has become one of the most forgettable holdouts in recent years. Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor hasn’t reported for training camp, the team has shown no signs of budging on his demands for a new deal, and no one seems to really notice.

On one hand, Seattle set a precedent in 2014 by rewarding running back Marshawn Lynch with a new deal during a holdout. On the other hand, Lynch didn’t have three years left on his contract.

The wild-card in this case is the player’s expectations. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Chancellor was under the impression that, after he established himself as one of the top safeties in the game, his contract would be adjusted to reflect that. When Chancellor signed his current deal, he sacrificed some of the upside in exchange for a certain degree of security at a time when the Seahawks still had plenty of other core guys to sign.

Now that those core guys have been signed, Chancellor expects to have his terms tweaked to put his deal more in line with safety Earl Thomas, who made more than $14 million in 2014. At Chancellor’s current terms, he’ll have to play 2015, 2016, and two thirds of the 2017 season to make $14 million.

In 2013, Chancellor signed a four-year, $28 million extension that runs through 2017. As he enters what should be the most productive years of his career, the thinking is that now is the time to ensure the highest level of compensation; by the time 2018 comes, he’ll be turning 30 — which could keep the Seahawks or other teams from thinking that he can keep performing as well as he currently can.

None of this means the Seahawks will budge, especially after paying big money to quarterback Russell Wilson and linebacker Bobby Wagner and cutting defensive tackle Tony McDaniel due to cap concerns. But that’s why Chancellor hasn’t shown up. If they won’t blink, the question eventually becomes whether he’ll sacrifice game checks.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam is "holding out".... yeah, ET and Sherm may as well be too based on how much action they got tonight. The LOB will be on the field in STL for week 1, and all this will be a distant memory. Just like the RW hand-wringing.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam is "holding out".... yeah, ET and Sherm may as well be too based on how much action they got tonight. The LOB will be on the field in STL for week 1, and all this will be a distant memory. Just like the RW hand-wringing.

Hope so ... At St Louis and then at Green Bay starting the season, we need him back.. Kam is an emotional leader on that defense...

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope so ... At St Louis and then at Green Bay starting the season, we need him back.. Kam is an emotional leader on that defense...

At some point honestly it wont matter.... the number of guys that hold out, only to come back and then immediately get hurt cause they didn't have a full training camp is staggering. The only guy I remember to miss significant time and come in off the streets and perform at the normal level is big Walt. And lets agree that he was just a different human being...hence the HOF induction.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point honestly it wont matter.... the number of guys that hold out, only to come back and then immediately get hurt cause they didn't have a full training camp is staggering. The only guy I remember to miss significant time and come in off the streets and perform at the normal level is big Walt. And lets agree that he was just a different human being...hence the HOF induction.

That is a concern ... He's not getting any PT right now ... I can't imagine Kam would let himself get out of shape though... And yeah Walter, I don't even think that guy needed practice... lol

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely wouldn't say Lynch gets a "full camp" and seems to hold up ok.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely wouldn't say Lynch gets a "full camp" and seems to hold up ok.

Yeah, Lynch is another guy that just picks up right where he left off...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody hear anything new about Kam ending his hold out?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody hear anything new about Kam ending his hold out?

On Monday Carroll said nothing has changed. The Seahawks pretty much hold almost all the cards and have decided it is best to hold their ground. From what I understand Bennett's camp is keeping a close eye and that if the team caves on Kam then his camp will come calling as well for that extra money. So the Seahawks definitely have a lot riding on this hold out for them to stand their ground.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks as though Kam is digging his heels in on a new deal

Kam Chancellor will not report to Seattle Seahawks without a deal

I hope we stick to our guns here but it probably means that we don't have Kam for the first 6 weeks of the season

Well, he's obviously serious, cause IF Seattle decides to stick to the fines they could levy - it is already nearly 1/3 of his take home pay. If he does hold out into the season (through week 6), then he could lose over 3/4 of his take home pay (from just under $3 million to just over $700,000).

I am sure this is about security. What he basically has after this season are two 1 year team options. Seattle on the other hand has other players like Michael Bennett that would see the team cave in to Chancellor, even if all that happens is a rework to guarantee more money.