• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Harbaugh is far and away

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodriguez had a whole different scheme that did not translate to the B1G. He recruited fast, light-weight players who couldn't compete with other B1G defenses. Thus, the defense was decimated. Also, because of the offensive scheme, defensive players were on the field way too long and ran out of gas at the end of many games. It simply didn't work. Rodriguez had little interest in defense and didn't hire capable coordinators. He didn't understand the B1G in general or Michigan in particular. Rodriguez was a terrible fit for the program. He hasn't performed well at Arizona either.

Hoke recruited well but didn't have the first clue about how to "develop" players. Although he rebuilt the defense to an extent (it was his specialty), he failed to develop the offense. I'll go out on a limb here to say that Shane Morris, among others, was a casualty of his inability to coach players up.

Neither Rodriguez nor Hoke have the coaching skills of Jim Harbaugh. When Harbaugh came on board, he said he was no "savior" for Michigan. Instead, he said that people should not expect miracles after the previous 7 years of very bad coaching. This year is only his third year. I take Harbaugh at his word--even if this team doesn't measure up to the record of the two previous years. I don't expect him to "save" the Michigan football program. I expect him to build a winning program for the long haul that will likely have a few missteps in the process. He is already light years ahead of Rodriguez and Hoke in that process. Even St. Nick Saban's team took a step back in his 4th year at Alabama. Moreover, Michigan fans are not like Ohio State fans who fired two winning coaches because they could not beat their arch rival.

It's worth noting that the people most interested in the firing of Jim Harbaugh are fans of other teams who are only too happy to point out his flaws as if their coaches are all that. Sensible Michigan fans (translation: most of them) will not be triggered by their criticisms.
I agree with some of your points. Specifically RR's inattention to defense. However, the spread offense that is present in almost 80% of the college football programs in this country was essentially authored by RR. And is not being run at Ohio St and Penn St to name a few. I actually believe that had RR been given time he would have had Michigan competing at the national level

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, do you really wanna cast that stone?? This is laughable at best....not just a month ago many buckeye fans on here were ready to jump off a building.
Oh yeah. I never said Buckeye fans were sensible. But they also didnt all run to Vegas betting the house on Meyer winning a NC the first year like MI fans.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me who is calling for Harbaugh to be fired. Most people are just sick of the blind defending of all things Harbaugh. No other coach gets the "we have to wait for his players to get in there" like every Michigan coach gets. He's in his third year and is responsible for his current roster situation. Michigan State is starting 13 freshmen and sophomores, teams do it all the time. Michigan fans are just using the Hoke excuse as a crutch.

First, you haven't seen me make this argument. Second, why do you care? You aren't paying his salary. And, fans of many teams make these and similar excuses all the time. Other fans "imply" that Harbaugh should be fired because "look how much money he's making" and "why aren't you Michigan fans upset?" If all of the digs against him are valid, you should be happy he's staying. As for "being sick" of fans defending him, get over yourself.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incorrect. They are the reason for all the over hype as well as MI having at one point the most money bet on them to win the NC the year Harbs was hired. Just by watching their post and actions most MI fans are not sensible.

Yeah, and you're such an unbiased observer.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and you're such an unbiased observer.
Im a first hand observer as well as seeing the new that had all that money on MI for the NC. Hell anyone can read the post here and other boards to see the mentality.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with some of your points. Specifically RR's inattention to defense. However, the spread offense that is present in almost 80% of the college football programs in this country was essentially authored by RR. And is not being run at Ohio St and Penn St to name a few. I actually believe that had RR been given time he would have had Michigan competing at the national level

Perhaps. But, hell could freeze over, too. If RR is so great, why hasn't he succeeded at Arizona? I am not a fan of all offense all the time with little defense.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a first hand observer as well as seeing the new that had all that money on MI for the NC. Hell anyone can read the post here and other boards to see the mentality.

Jim Harbaugh never promised an NC. Just because some MIchigan fans see it that way, doesn't make it so.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Harbaugh never promised an NC. Just because some MIchigan fans see it that way, doesn't make it so.
Since I was replying to a statement about the fans, my point stands.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps. But, hell could freeze over, too. If RR is so great, why hasn't he succeeded at Arizona? I am not a fan of all offense all the time with little defense.

Arizona was 21 games under .500 the decade before he took over at Arizona. He's 10 games over .500. He hasn't succeeded like he did at WVU, but he's been fine. He played for the Pac 12 title in 2014.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona was 21 games under .500 the decade before he took over at Arizona. He's 10 games over .500. He hasn't succeeded like he did at WVU, but he's been fine. He played for the Pac 12 title in 2014.

yeah, RRod's done fine at Arizona. They've looked a lot better since Tate came in and could very well play in the Pac-12 title game. I always thought he should have had a fourth year at Michigan. I thought Robinson was just a terrible DC.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, RRod's done fine at Arizona. They've looked a lot better since Tate came in and could very well play in the Pac-12 title game. I always thought he should have had a fourth year at Michigan. I thought Robinson was just a terrible DC.

Yeah, I agree, I thought he should have gotten another year, he was finally getting the players into his system. His year 3 might as well been year 2, due to the huge shift in offensive philosophy. The team was still relatively young in his 3rd year because of that. And yes, Robinson was an awful DC hire, that's really what did him in IMO.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree, I thought he should have gotten another year, he was finally getting the players into his system. His year 3 might as well been year 2, due to the huge shift in offensive philosophy. The team was still relatively young in his 3rd year because of that. And yes, Robinson was an awful DC hire, that's really what did him in IMO.

yeah, it took a while for the offense to get going. Carr left the cupboard bare and he had SheriThreet as his QBs. He didn't really get his offense running until 2010 (this was Denard's first year starting at QB) and that was overshadowed by one of the worst defenses in Michigan history. 2011 was a fun year for Michigan, but I can't help but wonder what Michigan's offense would have looked like in 2011 with Rich Rod at the helm. Defense made one hell of a jump, though I feel like some of that came from facing some weak offenses that year. The highest ranked offense they faced that year was Notre Dame (20th per S&P). The only other schools in the top 40 were Northwestern (28th) and Nebraska (37th). Maybe the defense doesn't rank 6th in PA/G, but I don't think it finishes anywhere close to 108th either.

Michigan also played a much tougher schedule in 2010 than 2009.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess not.

Harbaugh did well with players that were recruited by Hoke. It's his 3rd year, and it's usually the year when a coach finally gets "his" guys in most spots - and Michigan is doing worse.
I am not speaking about what he is doing at Arizona. I was simply saying that given time I believe RR would have done well at Michigan

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not speaking about what he is doing at Arizona. I was simply saying that given time I believe RR would have done well at Michigan

I understood what you were saying about RR. I just don't agree. We'll never know. :suds:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All RR needed was a good DC that could recruit. He had a unique offence and could score points.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, it took a while for the offense to get going. Carr left the cupboard bare and he had SheriThreet as his QBs. He didn't really get his offense running until 2010 (this was Denard's first year starting at QB) and that was overshadowed by one of the worst defenses in Michigan history. 2011 was a fun year for Michigan, but I can't help but wonder what Michigan's offense would have looked like in 2011 with Rich Rod at the helm. Defense made one hell of a jump, though I feel like some of that came from facing some weak offenses that year. The highest ranked offense they faced that year was Notre Dame (20th per S&P). The only other schools in the top 40 were Northwestern (28th) and Nebraska (37th). Maybe the defense doesn't rank 6th in PA/G, but I don't think it finishes anywhere close to 108th either.

Michigan also played a much tougher schedule in 2010 than 2009.

Carr did not have players recruited for RR's system but the cupboard was hardly bare. Ryan Mallet would have been your QB had Michigan not hired a spread offense guy