• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jerry Jones at 25 years of ownership

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Jarntt. Jerry's 3 rings stays on his resume no matter how much you want to forget it.

But what has he done lately. There's not another GM in the world that would have survived the last 18 years . Jerry needs to fire Jerry. This is jarntts argument about Jerry the owner. A good owner would have fired this GM years ago. There is absolutely no argument against jarntts stance here.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what has he done lately. There's not another GM in the world that would have survived the last 18 years . Jerry needs to fire Jerry. This is jarntts argument about Jerry the owner. A good owner would have fired this GM years ago. There is absolutely no argument against jarntts stance here.

That may all be true, but theres nothing the NFL can do to remove an owner, especially one who helps make the league a boatload of money like Jerry. The real question to me is, when he finally does step down as GM, will Stephen assume the GM title or hire someone from outside? It's very possible that every Cowboys GM for the next 100 years will be named Jones
:doh:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Jarntt. Jerry's 3 rings stays on his resume no matter how much you want to forget it.

They are on the equipment managers record too. Why not tell us how he played a big role too?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for getting rid of Jerry the GM.

Once in a while you mention this, but then you spend the rest of the time sounding as if you aren't...including this thread...

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once in a while you mention this, but then you spend the rest of the time sounding as if you aren't...including this thread...

Just for you I'll say Jerry the GM sucks more often.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to say it...Just don't soak his cork in other comments and contradict yourself...

You know Jarntt ...I noticed you get a little spotty around the same time every month.

My apologies ...I always thought you were a guy.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Jarntt ...I noticed you get a little spotty around the same time every month.

My apologies ...I always thought you were a guy.

I am offended by that. Not because of the insult, but because it just wasn't funny. You want to be a dick, be a dick. I don't care. Just don't be a hypocrite.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way. I just said something bad about the Jones crew in another thread (I just can't seem to help myself). Go run over and protect them...

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way. I just said something bad about the Jones crew in another thread (I just can't seem to help myself). Go run over and protect them...

Honestly, I just wish you would learn the difference between someone who contradicts themselves and a hypocrite.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are both. I didn't know I was in English Class, but I'm quite comfortable having this type of discussion too if you'd like. Why don't you point out where I showed I don't know the difference. You contradict yourself on the subject of Jerry Jones (did so in this very thread) and you are a total hypocrite on the subject as well. You like to point out how others fail to recognize certain aspects of Jerry's history and give him his due credit, yet do the same with the failures and it's quite OK...

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be fair and judge Jerry by the totality of what he has done.

I am.

He bought a franchise that was stuck in the mud. Lots of aging veterans that should have been let go years ago.

He hired Jimmy Johnson and gave him complete control over the players, while he focused on the money.

+1 for Jerry.

He hired someone and got out of the way. Jimmy, started from scratch and built a winning team. His X's and O's smarts along with is knowledge of college players and 'The Great Minnesota Train Robbery" all played a part.

Jimmy was getting credit, as HC's do, and Jerry wasn't happy about it so he started to stick his nose in - the Tony Casillas trade, for example and it ended with him saying that the 'Boys weren't going to keep Ken Norton Jr.

The Cowboys were at their best when Jerry hired a HC and stayed in his office managing the money, allowing the HC to manage the players.

"Owners own, coaches coach, players play" - Mike Ditka.

In Jerry we have a man that's a study in contradiction. When it comes to being an owner, he's in a class by himself. He's forgotten more about making money than any of us would ever know. He's a genius. The whole reason teams can name stadiums after corperate sponsers now is because of what Jerry did with the Nike swoosh hanging in the stadium. Brilliant. That team is worth over a billion dollars now, if he wanted to sell them.

Once had a Cowboy fan tell me this story....

"Jerry was putting in the new stadium and wanted a certain kind of marble from Italy - or to be more accurate, his wife did. She was building an art center. The company said he'd have to wait. So, Jerry bought the company, made getting that marble a priority, then sold said company for a profit".

That's Jerry Jones the owner.

When he bought the franchise the 'Boys were leaking money from a lot of places. Jerry got into the books and found that there was a woman that was, every week, getting free tickets and limo rides to the stadium. Someone, at some time, did this for her for a game and it just got lost in the shuffle. There was also some money being embezzled on the local weekly TV program the 'Boys had. Jerry plugged all the leaks.

Then there's Jerrry the GM.

HE chooses who to draft, not the HC. HE chooses who's on the roster, not the HC. HE chooses the depth, not the HC. How great of a move was firing Rex Ryan? How many other owners do you see prowling the sidelines or giving post game press conferences? He's doing such a bad job that even he said that if it were anyone else, he'd have fired him by now.

Going to a GM is not an easy choice to make and maybe it requires swallowing some pride. It was a choice we all had to make and most have made it. The game is just to complicated now for just one man at the top to do it alone.

Most owners have taken the following path: Hire a GM and HC, make sure they're on the same page then shut up and sign the checks.

But Jerry can't...his ego wont let him. He wants to show the world that he had more to do with the Cowboys winning Lombardi's than he gets credit for (maybe he did..I don't know) and the only way to make sure that happens is to win a ring without Jimmy or a GM.

Thing is, it's not working.

His meddling is the reason the Cowboys have been .500 for almost 2 decades. The success they had before that was because he hired a HC and minded his own business.

The Cowboys of the 70's were rivals of our in every sense of the word. That was one well oiled machine from the top down. That reflashed in the early 90's...but now it's like something from VH1 "Behind the Music: Where are they now?" kind of thing where you see some aging rock star all drugged out behind a dumpster and 50 pounds over weight.

You just want to give them a shake and scream, 'SNAP OUT OF IT!!! YOU'RE BETTER THAN THIS!!!"

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than your REX Ryan comment I have to say you are spot on and laid everything out as good as I've ever seen on here...right down to nailing Jerry's tragic flaw: pride.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Jimmy tells the story on, "A Football Life""

every cowboy fan should watch this to understand the jerry ego.

Coupled with the fact Parcels looked jerry up, and had his people tell him he wanted the Dallas job. Bill bout had the ship righted but jerry could no longer stay in the back seat and Bill was to tuff on people throughout the organization. No shit! To darn mean! Accountability mattered

Now watch....deepest draft in years. 5th round guys will have 3rd round grade. Middle second round guys will have 1st round grade and jerry and the person that has his ear will find a way to mess it up. Only bright note I see to all this might be if the new d-cord has the lions share of ole jerry's ear on draft weekend.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now watch....deepest draft in years. 5th round guys will have 3rd round grade. Middle second round guys will have 1st round grade and jerry and the person that has his ear will find a way to mess it up. Only bright note I see to all this might be if the new d-cord has the lions share of ole jerry's ear on draft weekend.

I'm hoping he does .... and he seems to have last year when they passed on Floyd

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note I loved (for the most part) last years draft

Passing on Floyd landed us 3 starters

Frederick Williams and Hayden

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still think the Floyd pass was a good move. Time will tell. Floyd should get his opportunity this season in minny

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are both. I didn't know I was in English Class, but I'm quite comfortable having this type of discussion too if you'd like. Why don't you point out where I showed I don't know the difference. You contradict yourself on the subject of Jerry Jones (did so in this very thread) and you are a total hypocrite on the subject as well. You like to point out how others fail to recognize certain aspects of Jerry's history and give him his due credit, yet do the same with the failures and it's quite OK...

I said this to you not 2 weeks ago.

No I don't disagree with the latter Jarntt. The is no defending Jerry the GM.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Jimmy tells the story on, "A Football Life""

every cowboy fan should watch this to understand the jerry ego.

Coupled with the fact Parcels looked jerry up, and had his people tell him he wanted the Dallas job. Bill bout had the ship righted but jerry could no longer stay in the back seat and Bill was to tuff on people throughout the organization. No shit! To darn mean! Accountability mattered

all this sounds like a perfect reason to trade down & grab some more picks this year.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than your REX Ryan comment I have to say you are spot on and laid everything out as good as I've ever seen on here...right down to nailing Jerry's tragic flaw: pride.

Apologies, thank you for the correction.

It's kinda sad, though. I mean, just as a Steelers fan. You guys are NFL royalty - WTH?