• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jamie Collins, good trade or bad trade?

Was trading Collins a good move for the Patriots?

• Good trade

• Bad trade

• Requisite Potato Salad

Results are only viewable after voting.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with good trade. There is something more to this story behind the scenes. I'm thinking he was moved because he was an internal problem so they took what they could get to get him out of the locker room.
So obviously you think it was a really bad trade from a talent perspective and a value perspective, but that something else is going on that we don't know about. Kind of the point most non-NE fans made I think in the first place...Now if none of that turns out to be the case, then this was a big screw up IMO. Play the guy in the nickel only if you want. By all means do NOT resign him, but take your 3rd round comp pick and be happy. Trading him midseason while you are looking like one to he favorites to get to the SB is:scratch:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So obviously you think it was a really bad trade from a talent perspective and a value perspective, but that something else is going on that we don't know about. Kind of the point most non-NE fans made I think in the first place...Now if none of that turns out to be the case, then this was a big screw up IMO. Play the guy in the nickel only if you want. By all means do NOT resign him, but take your 3rd round comp pick and be happy. Trading him midseason while you are looking like one to he favorites to get to the SB is:scratch:

The fact that it was mid season leads me to believe he was a problem. It's now out that he was free lancing more than Matt P. and B.B. wanted and that they were exceptionally pissed about it. The Bills game may have been the last straw.

But, we'll probably never truly know.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pats fans think its not a bad trade
non pats fans think it is

wow what a surprise:suds:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pats fans think its not a bad trade
non pats fans think it is

wow what a surprise:suds:

Most fanbases are going to believe that the moves their team makes are for the betterment of the team. Even if they don't agree with it we just hope that our FO knows what they are doing and knows more than me. Doesn't mean they are perfect and my guess is the losing franchises don't exactly trust their FO to do what is right. Patriot fans have plenty of history to back up why they trust the process. This one though still feels like a head scratcher. If for nothing else than depth. Getting a 3rd round comp pick for a player of his talent level midseason just doesn't sound right. Which yes makes a person believe something else must have been going on but even if it was just him freelancing as another poster said just put him in on passing downs and let him go to work. He was still a high quality guy in coverage which is very hard to find at the Linebacker position.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most fanbases are going to believe that the moves their team makes are for the betterment of the team. Even if they don't agree with it we just hope that our FO knows what they are doing and knows more than me. Doesn't mean they are perfect and my guess is the losing franchises don't exactly trust their FO to do what is right. Patriot fans have plenty of history to back up why they trust the process. This one though still feels like a head scratcher. If for nothing else than depth. Getting a 3rd round comp pick for a player of his talent level midseason just doesn't sound right. Which yes makes a person believe something else must have been going on but even if it was just him freelancing as another poster said just put him in on passing downs and let him go to work. He was still a high quality guy in coverage which is very hard to find at the Linebacker position.

Absolutely doesn't seem long ago that the face of your D was Dumervil, and I'm sure some Bronco's fans were going crazy with the fax story. Elvis who?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely doesn't seem long ago that the face of your D was Dumervil, and I'm sure some Bronco's fans were going crazy with the fax story. Elvis who?

Well that whole thing was a mess on both sides. That is one of the few moves that even day 1 I questioned with Elway. He can sometimes be a little too tight when it comes to money and can cause friction with some players. Most of the time he can smooth things out once the contract is actually signed but the fact that the whole deal came down to the last minute like that and broke down because a fax machine wouldn't work fast enough is just bad work on both sides.

See again that is where even some of the best GM's/Teams do make mistakes along the way. I"m sure hindsight there are moves that Bilichick wishes he had never made. This situation with Collins obviously is too early to tell what will all happen. Maybe he falls off the face of the earth and we barely hear his name mentioned again. We obviously just have to wait and see. My main issue with this trade is more that it is mid-season when the Pats are clearly in the drivers seat for the AFC towards the Super Bowl. Maybe they could not resolve the issues going on but just seems like if Collins wants the huge contract nothing gets a player paid more than performing well and winning the Super Bowl. Teams overpay for Super Bowl winners all the time. Just seemed like it was in the best interest of both parties to work this out.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO I thought that potato salad would have a few more votes

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree... Bill makes his moves usually before the guy is done or about to get his monster deal. Lawyer Milloy was one (and he found Harrison to step in). McGinest, Seymour, Koppen, Revis, Moss, Law, Vrabel... Sometimes it leaves a hole, but for the most part it's a good move. Not many good Patriots players retire as Patriots players.

It's something Andy Reid does as well that I've seen. Rather let them go a year early than a year late.

This ^^^^^^