• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Miguel Cabrera the best hitter ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Miggy's injury was not a "knicked up" situation. The groin is a surprisingly essential part of a good swing. It's a key muscle in both weight transfer and balance through the swing. I've played with just an agitated groin, and the negative impact it had on my bat speed and therefore power was tangible. I can't imagine playing with a torn groin.

Miggy's swing was all arms through the end of the season and in the postseason. He couldn't generate bat speed from his lower body, and as a result, he simply couldn't hit the ball with the same authority. This doesn't just mean fly balls go from home runs to outs, but that line drives and ground balls are less likely to find holes in the infield and gaps in the outfield, ergo his total game suffered. And all of that assumes the effect the pain and other issues didn't affect his swing mechanics beyond that. It's likely his mechanics were off by enough to make it more difficult for Miggy to square up the ball with the same regularity.

BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that a lot of guys that would have had Miggys injury probably would have shut it down. But he kept playing because his team needed him. Was he hurt of course he was but still he played. If he wasn't hurt it probably would have been different for him and the team.

Look at his history and you can see that he is an elite player and he still has a lot more to go.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt this guy is a great hitter but it showed in the playoff what happens when a player gets knicked up and how you play through injuries.

Don't misunderstand what I'm about to say because I think Cabrera is a great hitter but I think he is somewhat overrated. I say this because it's not that difficult for a great hitter to put up big numbers when you're completely healthy but to continue doing it when your somewhat injured is another story. Cabrera's numbers fell off drastically after being knicked up. What happens if Cabrera stays banged up for an extended period of time and isn't able to put up huge numbers like he did before is he still a great hitter? Truly great hitter produce at a high level even when they are injured. They learn to play through injuries. One example I'll use is Mickey Mantle, he played through pain most of his career and put up great numbers.

I'm saying lets not put Cabrera in the elite category until he proves he can produce while playing through injuries like alot of the other greats have done.

I don't follow the logic. He's not elite because he was injured? 11 injury plagued post season games somehow change the fact he's the best hitter in baseball? :scratch:

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt this guy is a great hitter but it showed in the playoff what happens when a player gets knicked up and how you play through injuries.

Don't misunderstand what I'm about to say because I think Cabrera is a great hitter but I think he is somewhat overrated. I say this because it's not that difficult for a great hitter to put up big numbers when you're completely healthy but to continue doing it when your somewhat injured is another story. Cabrera's numbers fell off drastically after being knicked up. What happens if Cabrera stays banged up for an extended period of time and isn't able to put up huge numbers like he did before is he still a great hitter? Truly great hitter produce at a high level even when they are injured. They learn to play through injuries. One example I'll use is Mickey Mantle, he played through pain most of his career and put up great numbers.

I'm saying lets not put Cabrera in the elite category until he proves he can produce while playing through injuries like alot of the other greats have done.

:wtf2:
Bullshit

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow the logic. He's not elite because he was injured? 11 injury plagued post season games somehow change the fact he's the best hitter in baseball? :scratch:

Miggy aint what he used to be - injury or not. Alot of them arent. The future belongs to the youngsters

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2291482-not_sure_if_serious.jpg

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is awful.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy aint what he used to be - injury or not. Alot of them arent. The future belongs to the youngsters

Over/under 5 lines of cocaine before making this comment.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy is the best hitter in MLB for the last 3 years....clutch in the post season, not so much...gives Arod's post season number merit.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy is the best hitter in MLB for the last 3 years....clutch in the post season, not so much...gives Arod's post season number merit.

Huh? A-Rod has a line of .263/.369/.464 in the postseason. Meanwhile, Lord Jeter has a line of .308/.374/.465. Despite having a much higher BA, their OBP and SLG% are nearly identical.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I am getting your point. Recent news has stated that Cabrera may need surgery to repair the groin injury he has. Since neither you and I know how "knicked up" Miggy is or was....I don't think we can comment on HOW well he played through an injury. All injuries are not the same.

BTW...Mr. Mantle used ''self-medication'' to overcome his knicks and bruises. I hope Cabrera didn't. :)

Miggy has used the same "self-medication" and has a DWI to prove it....Miggy is the best hitter in baseball for the last 3 years....if he puts them up for 3 more years...even if he doesn't win a WS...he will start to be included in all time status....and pass the short term studs like Dale Murphy, Jim Rice, Andres Galaraga, Larry Walker, etc...and as long as he doesn't crash like Pujols has.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? A-Rod has a line of .263/.369/.464 in the postseason. Meanwhile, Lord Jeter has a line of .308/.374/.465. Despite having a much higher BA, their OBP and SLG% are nearly identical.

like I said....no different than ARods.....273 isn't "much higher".....

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy has used the same "self-medication" and has a DWI to prove it....Miggy is the best hitter in baseball for the last 3 years....if he puts them up for 3 more years...even if he doesn't win a WS...he will start to be included in all time status....and pass the short term studs like Dale Murphy, Jim Rice, Andres Galaraga, Larry Walker, etc...and as long as he doesn't crash like Pujols has.

You must be joking. Walker is the only one of those guys who put up a stretch within shouting distance of Miggy's last 10 years. Look up Walker's home & away splits and get back to me.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must be joking. Walker is the only one of those guys who put up a stretch within shouting distance of Miggy's last 10 years. Look up Walker's home & away splits and get back to me.

You joking, right? now we have to break the great hitters down to home/away stats? So lets do it for Ted Williams...or Joey D....Babe Ruth...you have to be joking...I will pass, lol....definately the most assinine comment read tonight......Walker must have hit .500 at home to get .379 for the season, lol....too funny. Lefties at the old yankees stadium had an advantage...the Green Monster played a part....Wrigley during the day....guess we can find out stats at select stadiums next, lol.

Will say Walkers power and numbers fell after 32 yrs old, just like Dale Murphy and the others...lets see how Miggy handles it.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dabums you couldn't carry miggys jock.

this season..he got even better. his average was above .370 at one time. Then he got hurt. He woul have had his best season. and you knows how great a post season he would have had. We went into the post season with out his greatness. he limped along. foing the best he could. most players would have went on the DL. Iam sure if miggy wasn't hurt. tigers would be facing the cards in the 2013 WS. and getting the pay back we owe them...word

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You joking, right? now we have to break the great hitters down to home/away stats? So lets do it for Ted Williams...or Joey D....Babe Ruth...you have to be joking...I will pass, lol....definately the most assinine comment read tonight......Walker must have hit .500 at home to get .379 for the season, lol....too funny. Lefties at the old yankees stadium had an advantage...the Green Monster played a part....Wrigley during the day....guess we can find out stats at select stadiums next, lol.

Will say Walkers power and numbers fell after 32 yrs old, just like Dale Murphy and the others...lets see how Miggy handles it.

Miggy's already a better player/hitter than Andre, Rice, and Murphy. Better hitter than Walker, but Walker was a very good baserunner and defender. Murphy and Rice are overrated.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the disparity in Larry Walker's home/away splits is *far* greater than Williams, Ruth (who both had higher OPSes on the road than Walker did at home), etc.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy's already a better player/hitter than Andre, Rice, and Murphy. Better hitter than Walker, but Walker was a very good baserunner and defender. Murphy and Rice are overrated.

I think dabum's point was that unless Miggy falls apart like Pujols, that he will pass these guys up. Cabrera's numbers are better now (in some cases)....but he needs a little more longevity to solidify his position.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you honestly just put Miguel Cabrera in the same category with Dale Murphy, Andres Gallaraga and Larry Walker?

You may not like the Tigers, but you can't be that clueless. Cabrera didn't come out of nowhere to start putting up monster numbers. He has .321 CAREER batting average over 10 1/2 season. He has AVERAGED 36 homeruns and 120 rbi's a year over 10 1/2 years.

He isn't doing this with the benefit of playing home games at Coors Field, as Walker and Gallaraga did and he hasn't had a few year stretch of being great like Murphy, he has been one of the elite hitters for many years.

You are just making yourself sound really foolish with comments like that DaBums.