• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it time for the "Michigan with a GREAT win to open the season" thread yet?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because sizeable and huge are two different words. It's not like I suggested that either Bowling Green or Ball State are great place to coach, but one is clearly the better of the two. And yes, the Heartland conference is just as tough as the MAC (god, is this really where this conversation is going). From the 50's through the 60's yes, Ball State had 4 Heartland titles, but Bowling Green had 6 MAC titles. If we count all conference titles, Bowling Green has 16 (11 MAC and 5 Northwestern Ohio Intercolleigate Athletic Association) and Ball State only 10 (5 MAC, 4 Heartland, 1 Indiana Intercolliegate)

That second national title was done on the back on Tim Tebow, admittedly one of the best to ever play the game. And who BTW was recruited to Florida by one Greg Mattison, who Meyer is stated is the "best recruiter in the country," who is now the DC at Michigan. Now, how did Meyer do post-Tebow?

Yeah Bowling Green is clearly the better MAC program when it just took them up until last year to match the number of MAC Championships Ball State has since they joined the conference.

:L

And again your trying to argue what happened in the 50's as some sort of reflection on the current state of a program( or at least when each coach took over). Minnesota won titles in the 40's and 50's and nobody gives a shit about that because they are a mediocre to bad program. Tell me how that history helps them in recruiting? Yeah their state produces little talent but even when it does they go somewhere else.

Both walked into shitty situations the first time they were head coaches. What can't you see about that?

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
/ edit

Last edited by a moderator:

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wins and losses mean nothing to this guy.

When a new coach wins, its because of someone else's recruits.

When a new coach loses, its because of someone else's recruits.

:lol::lol::lol:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly my point!

In Rich Rod's three years Michigan went 3-9, 5-7, and 8-5 with a loose in the Outback Bowl.

Now tell me, who walked into a better situation, Meyer at Florida or Hoke at Michigan?

Well Zook in his 3 years in The Swamp had a better record than Rich Rod's 3 years in ann arbor. Who walked into a better situation though? No doubt it was Meyer.

Meyer: 31-8, 2-1 in bowl games & a national championship

Hoke: 26-13, 1-2 in bowl games

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's your excuse for allowing a team that is clearly such a failure come so close, not once, but twice, to knocking your smug ass to the ground?

If Hoke is clearly such a failure, and Meyer clearly such a winner, why didn't Meyer blow Hoke out of the water?

The bottom line is your team has 2 W's over Ohio State in the last 13 years. Number don't lie yet you keep coming up w/ excuse after excuse as to why your team has not been able to beat Ohio State. The Buckeye win...you say they should win by more. In this Rivalry I don't care if Ohio State beats meeeechegan by a point or 50. A win is a win in this Rivalry & a loss is a loss. Instead of trying to come up w/ lame excuses maybe you should finally admit that Hoke is not that good of a HC?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You very well may live to regret those words, because starting this year I assert that Michigan will start rolling under Hoke. Very much the same way it took 4 years for Dantonio to get MSU rolling after John L Smith (only better, because this is Michigan, fer god's sake).

Why didnt rich rod get 4 yrs then? And stop comparing fat ass to coach D.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because sizeable and huge are two different words. It's not like I suggested that either Bowling Green or Ball State are great place to coach, but one is clearly the better of the two. And yes, the Heartland conference is just as tough as the MAC (god, is this really where this conversation is going). From the 50's through the 60's yes, Ball State had 4 Heartland titles, but Bowling Green had 6 MAC titles. If we count all conference titles, Bowling Green has 16 (11 MAC and 5 Northwestern Ohio Intercolleigate Athletic Association) and Ball State only 10 (5 MAC, 4 Heartland, 1 Indiana Intercolliegate)

That second national title was done on the back on Tim Tebow, admittedly one of the best to ever play the game. And who BTW was recruited to Florida by one Greg Mattison, who Meyer is stated is the "best recruiter in the country," who is now the DC at Michigan. Now, how did Meyer do post-Tebow?

Haha he rode tebow. Wow this guys an idiot. So i guess last yr fisher rode winston and carroll rode leinhart and on and on and on

Funny the whole thing is always......BLAME RICH ROD. .....when fat man gets fired they will stick up for their next coach and THEN they will blame hoke.

Hokes best players been rich rods recruits.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's your excuse for allowing a team that is clearly such a failure come so close, not once, but twice, to knocking your smug ass to the ground?

If Hoke is clearly such a failure, and Meyer clearly such a winner, why didn't Meyer blow Hoke out of the water?

Obviously you never played football. Its a game of inches. A win is a win. Hell sparty struggled with many BAD teams last year. But we pounded michigan AND won the rose bowl.

COMING CLOSE DONT MEAN SQUAT EXCUSE MAKER.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bottom line is your team has 2 W's over Ohio State in the last 13 years. Number don't lie yet you keep coming up w/ excuse after excuse as to why your team has not been able to beat Ohio State. The Buckeye win...you say they should win by more. In this Rivalry I don't care if Ohio State beats meeeechegan by a point or 50. A win is a win in this Rivalry & a loss is a loss. Instead of trying to come up w/ lame excuses maybe you should finally admit that Hoke is not that good of a HC?

Yeah a michigan fan shouldnt care if they win by one pt or 50. They should just care IF they win. I mean michigan has beaten sparty ONCE in 6 years and in that win, they couldnt even score a TD...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine how good michigan would be with a great coach with all those stud recruits.....thats why i want hoke to stay.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah a michigan fan shouldnt care if they win by one pt or 50. They should just care IF they win. I mean michigan has beaten sparty ONCE in 6 years and in that win, they couldnt even score a TD...

I'm just at a loss as to why some of their fans can't except the fact they simply aren't good right now. That program has never had an issue getting the nations best HS talent to play for them. So since it's not a lack of talent it has to be bad coaching, right?

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine how good michigan would be with a great coach with all those stud recruits.....thats why i want hoke to stay.

Haven't you heard. Hoke is an awesome coach.

Losses and lack of championships do not fall under his responsibility and are not his fault no matter where he has been so don't judge him on that.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

Is all you know is throw insults around?

Try for once to actually look into the information to see what's there (i.e. analysis). For example, Michigan was in a tailspin after Rich Rod, but Florida, while under-achieved under Zook, weren't that bad. And it is widely accepted while Zook isn't a good coach, the man can recruit.

Just so we are clear, improving each year is a tail spin. Getting worse every year is a step in the right direction.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so we are clear, improving each year is a tail spin. Getting worse every year is a step in the right direction.

If you do in depth analysis you will see that to be the case. :pound:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess I didn't jinx Michigan this time! Nice half!

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about App st this year...

Funny, every time i turn it to the Mich game...I feel the tv is going to make me a sammich. En sech...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into this season nobody knew what type of team UofM would have.

Questions about Gardner, the O-Line, and defense made the Wolverines a huge question mark. Starting a true freshman at LT!! Moving Funchess to WR.

Hoke needed the team to jell and Gardner to be a smarter QB than he had in the past. If the guys Hoke recruited play up to their potential this will be a very good season. The problem is if Hoke can't get these guys the coaching they need to be studs.

So far UofM looks really good and the O-Coordinator has them playing a pretty good scheme. If they keep getting better this will be a rebound year as they have as much talent as anyone in the B1G, my biggest concern is they are getting the coaching to make that happen.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who the geniuses that did Michigan's scheduling this year, but WHY play App State again? Michigan could beat them 20 straight times by 50 points, but Appy would still have bragging rights IMO.

Oh well, I guess we will get to see all the talk on the sports channels this next week about the last time they played, so I figured I'd open up with the classic post that got me famous on the ESPN board nearly a decade ago.

Anyone predicting an App State victory? :L

All of this is true so fuck them, and fck this thread, but you are right about everything.

Except anybody predicting an app state victory.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Again, the event in question happened before Hoke was hired! If no one told him about it, how is he suppose to take action? More than anything it is an indictment on the upper management of the athletic department, because they are the one's who swept it under the rug, not Hoke.

And please, this "felony" of Frank Clark's is not all that big a deal. The guy did a stupid thing (as most college kids do), paid the price and now has gotten his act together.

These "discipline" problems are no worse (if not better) than what Dantonio has had. Because for the most part it is college kids being college kids. So just saying, he who lives in a glass house (*cough*MSU*cough*) should not throw stones.

:laugh3::bullshit::laugh3:

For starters, that 11-2 season was done on the backs of the senior class, a Lloyd Carr class. And it was the defense that lead that team, so are you seriously going to suggest, the Rich Rod would have gotten a DC of the quality of Mattison? Talk about blind homerism! Also, Michigan went from pro to spread back to pro. It's one thing to have a top 25 class, it's another to have one with the players needed to run your system. (and getting them to stay, the Rich Rod classes had terrible attrition rates, remember Forcier?)

Like I hinted at, there is more to progress than the records. As a whole from 2011 to 2012 the team was better, even if the record didn't show it. And even while 2013 was a step back, it was only a small one. Because what you are forgetting that of those 11 loses, 8 were extremely close. As new OC Nussmeier stated, last year's team was 11 points from being 11-1, 11 points! And all the troubles last year can be traced directly to the O-line, which as previously stated was due to a lack of recruiting there by Rich Rod.

Brady Hoke as already shown what he can do when he has strong senior leadership, in that 11-2 Sugar Bowl season. He hasn't had that kind of leadership since then. Then there is the major upgrade at the OC position. And, of those first two classes that were purely his (2012 and 2013), they are highly rated, have gotten plenty of experience (because they were forced into service earlier than the norm) and of the 51 recruits, 50 are still with the program, 50! So what happens when they get to be juniors and seniors?

You are letting you blind hatred of Michigan blind you to the train that is coming, which is going to make it enjoyable when it runs you over.

Has your blind Michigan homerism worn off yet, or do you still believe they are going to win the B1G and make the playoff?