• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it Ohio State's fault?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State ran through a very weak ACC in the 90s and early 2000s and never got as much grief as Ohio State does now.....

Florida St used to play one of the most brutal schedules back in the day in order to get any recognition to start with. I often use them as an example for Boise St who wants to be given everything. Florida St would play anyone anywhere.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State ran through a very weak ACC in the 90s and early 2000s and never got as much grief as Ohio State does now.....

I recall their schedule being SO weak that they were running commercials constantly in FL trying to sell tickets. Even their real fans were tired of the crap games. They play UF every year at the end to get ready for the bowl but....

I recall them getting a lot of grief for it...more than youz guise by far. They'd win game after game by 50 points and might pull off a win against UF, on one of our bad years, by cheating n' sech.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel for OSU, they haven't lost a game in 2 seasons and will probably get held out of a national title yet again. Although they still need to take care of MSU, and I am not sold they can get it done against ole Sparty.

They weren't bowl eligible last year so no reason to feel bad. Not like as if they got shafted by the BCS and should have played in the NCG.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just take an easy bowl against the worst SEC team to get the 0 - 11 monkey off your back. <Sorry, we're not eligible this year!>

Nothing like making Arkansas your bitch

had a chance against Florida in 2011, wait no we didn't Jim Bollman was charge of the Offense and Special Teams that day

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:agree:

Nailed it. Only thing that's going to change the conference image is a strong bowl showing.

More than one. I don't think the B1G will get much credit if they go better than .500 this year. Going to have to back it up.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Florida St used to play one of the most brutal schedules back in the day in order to get any recognition to start with. I often use them as an example for Boise St who wants to be given everything. Florida St would play anyone anywhere.

I do too. BSU demanding home & home is pure bull shit. When they have a junior high stadium?

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than one. I don't think the B1G will get much credit if they go better than .500 this year. Going to have to back it up.

If OSU/MSU wins the RB and we win either another BCS game and/or 2/3 of the NYD games vs. the SEC, I'd back us up against anyone outside of the SEC. Thing is, it could happen.

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reference to bowl games for the B1G, it might be better for Ohio State to go to the Rose, and no other BCS teams, it helps the matchups align much better for the rest of the conference.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reference to bowl games for the B1G, it might be better for Ohio State to go to the Rose, and no other BCS teams, it helps the matchups align much better for the rest of the conference.

Maybe. I'd love to play Oregon and have that Wisconsin-Clemson matchup happen. I think Sparty/Minnesota/Michigan/Nebraska can at least muster 1-2 wins out of their 4.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. I'd love to play Oregon and have that Wisconsin-Clemson matchup happen. I think Sparty/Minnesota/Michigan/Nebraska can at least muster 1-2 wins out of their 4.

:L Putting faith in Michigan beating any team in a bowl game this year.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They're perplexing to me. They have back Jake Ryan. I refuse to believe an OL as talented as theirs can truly suck this much shit. They could easily be 5-6 right now, and they could easily be 9-1. They look awful vs. Nebraska and Akron, and then dominate Minnesota and convincingly beat a talented ND team (who is currently tied for most top 25 wins in the country). They are seriously a Jekyll/Hyde team. Considering they will get no better than likely the Gator Bowl or BWW Wings bowl, they could definitely beat the SEC #6 or, say, OU from the Big 12.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're perplexing to me. They have back Jake Ryan. I refuse to believe an OL as talented as theirs can truly suck this much shit. They could easily be 5-6 right now, and they could easily be 9-1. They look awful vs. Nebraska and Akron, and then dominate Minnesota and convincingly beat a talented ND team (who is currently tied for most top 25 wins in the country). They are seriously a Jekyll/Hyde team. Considering they will get no better than likely the Gator Bowl or BWW Wings bowl, they could definitely beat the SEC #6 or, say, OU from the Big 12.

They started to fall apart when they got Jake Ryan back. I dont know what to expect out of Michigan. They haven't looked very good since playing Notre Dame.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TTUN needs to continue to suck rat ass through the end of November, after then they have my permission to play well and win a bowl game for their dipshit fanbase that are all ugly and need major dental work after their teeth got all screwed up sucking so much rat ass this season.

Brady Hoke wears Fart Pants

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

good point.

in the last few years it seems like the alignment mismatches were drastic......

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good point.

Unless of course the Big10 is lucky enough to get paired with the Mid Major like FSU last year

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless of course the Big10 is lucky enough to get paired with the Mid Major like FSU last year

That's the worst scenario. If OSU/MSU/Wisky would beat Fresno or UNI, it would mean nothing. If they lost, it'd be catastrophic.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good point.

Not really.

In 2010:
B1G #1 Wisconsin vs. Mtn West #1 TCU - Loss
B1G #2 vs. SEC #2 Arkansas - Win*
B1G #3 MSU vs. SEC #4 Alabama - Loss
B1G #4 Iowa vs. Big 12 #4 Missouri - Win
B1G #5 Illinois vs. Big 12 #6 Baylor - Win
B1G #6 Penn State vs. SEC #6 Florida - Loss
B1G #7 Michigan vs. SEC #7 Mississippi State - Loss
B1G #8 Northwestern vs. Big 12 #8 Texas Tech - Loss

Looks pretty evenly matched.

In 2011:
B1G #1 Wisconsin vs. PAC 10 #1 Oregon - Loss
B1G #2/#3 Michigan vs. ACC #2 Virginia Tech - Win
B1G #2/#3 MSU vs. SEC #5 Georgia - Win
B1G #4 Nebraska vs. SEC #4 South Carolina - Loss
B1G #5 Penn State vs. C-USA #2 Houston - Loss
B1G #6 Iowa vs. Big 12 #4 Oklahoma - Loss
B1G #7 Purdue vs. MAC #5 Western Michigan - Win
B1G #8 Ohio state vs. SEC #7 Florida - Loss
B1G #9 Northwestern vs. Big 12 #7 Texas A&M - Loss
B1G #10 Illinois vs. Pac #5 UCLA - Win

Really only 1 drastic mismatch and the B1G won it.

Overall I think the negative perception stems from 2010, everyone was watching on NYD and the B1G wasn't very competitive in those matchups.

I didn't do last year because the two of the three best teams in the B1G were ineligible and I'm figuring it was a mismatch b/c of that. If we were to do bowl eligible teams, I'm sure they were heavily in favor of the B1G.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just one of those things that continues to haunt the Big 10.
They collectively don't perform well in bowl games.

It never made any sense why it happens.

My only guess it that for years the Big 10 season ended earlier than most leagues.
The extra few days of holiday rust could have made the impact....maybe....

Or maybe its the extra travel to climates that are 20-30 degrees warmer??

But the truth is that during the BCS era:

1. The Big 10 has the worst winning percentage in all bowls from 1998-2012 in AQ leagues.

2. The Big 10 has the worst winning percentage from their ranked teams from 98-12 in every FBS league.

I don't think the Big 10 is any worse than other leagues.
But the statistics in bowl games are pretty ugly.

The league needs to figure out why it keeps happening.

Chicago-Bama

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly OSU is the primary reason the conference has become to be perceived as weak IMO with their 2 "blowout" losses in their last 2 title games. Its not fair but it is what it is. Up until about 7 years ago the B10 and the SEC were basically contending with each other every year for the claim to the "best conference" in CFB. Those 2 losses hurt the leagues perception more than anything. Add to that that ESPN is a bunch of SEC nuthuggers because of their TV situation and it makes it tough for any B10 team to get respect. Even in 09 when the league did well in bowls and won both their BCS bowls the conference was still "down" according to the experts. Nothing the league can do except hope its teams start winning some bowl games.

Yes this is when the 0-9 shit started to pop up. Buckeye fans took a beating on the boards back then.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just one of those things that continues to haunt the Big 10.
They collectively don't perform well in bowl games.

It never made any sense why it happens.

My only guess it that for years the Big 10 season ended earlier than most leagues.
The extra few days of holiday rust could have made the impact....maybe....

Or maybe its the extra travel to climates that are 20-30 degrees warmer??

But the truth is that during the BCS era:

1. The Big 10 has the worst winning percentage in all bowls from 1998-2012 in AQ leagues.

2. The Big 10 has the worst winning percentage from their ranked teams from 98-12 in every FBS league.

I don't think the Big 10 is any worse than other leagues.
But the statistics in bowl games are pretty ugly.

The league needs to figure out why it keeps happening.

Honestly, I would love to see what our bowl record was if we had the ACC or Big 12 bowl tie-ins. Call it whining, whatever. We do routinely face the toughest slate of any conference. I'd guarantee the actual teams we claim wins over from 1998-2012 are as impressive as any not named the SEC as a whole.