• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it Ohio State's fault?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Buckeye fans. I really do hate to start ANOTHER thread for yall.

But this needs to be mentioned.

Ohio State's 3 road wins in conference come at the expense of teams that have an 0-18 conference record.

Add Cal to that and the teams conferences records of tOSU's road opponents in 0-26!!!!

Add that to a game scheduled vs Cal years ago when they were a top 15 team rivaling USC as the best team in the PAC. Now Cal is having the worst year in school history. Cal will finish 1-11 with the only win being Portland State, a game that was close in the 4th quarter.

Ohio State is doing the job on the offense. The Bucks have some big time problems on defense. Giving up a lot of points to Illinois and Cal isnt a good reflection.

I think next year Ohio State's defense will be scary good as every one comes back. Next year is your year IMO.

I think it is a blessing that the Bucks are likely going to the RB this season. I think if they got beat badly by FSU or Bama.... The negative perception of the B1G would be enhanced.

Outside of MSU and Wisky is there any hope for the rest of the B1G in the future? Man, Coach Urb could go 3 seasons in a row without losing and due to other B1G teams or the National perception of the conference's deficiencies.

I also believe that FSU's scheduled opponents are no better than tOSUs. But FSU has looked absolutely dominant in every aspect of the game against everyone.

Nobody can score on them and the offense scores at will.

Sorry, that is all.

:suds:

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's not their fault, but when only 2 teams can play for the title, it gets taken into consideration.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's not their fault, but when only 2 teams can play for the title, it gets taken into consideration.

Ya, that is true.

I think next year is a different story. The teams on their schedule cant be worse. THat is for sure. ANd the team will only be better.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: And sincerely, no one has more credibility on this subject than an Auburn fan.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, that is true.

I think next year is a different story. The teams on their schedule cant be worse. THat is for sure. ANd the team will only be better.

The playoffs will help this a lot........and I cant wait.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa should be quite good for the next few years IMO. Very young team this year and they are already exceeding expectations. OSU will be the conference torch bearer and MSU, Wisky will be good per usual. Also a program like Minnesota should be good the next few years as well with their youth. Overrall the league needs an image enhancement but the only real way to do that is to schedule better OOC and to perform in bowls. B10 teams beating other B10 teams gains no image improvement for them.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel for OSU, they haven't lost a game in 2 seasons and will probably get held out of a national title yet again. Although they still need to take care of MSU, and I am not sold they can get it done against ole Sparty.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully for tOSU the playoffs start next season because I think they will be even better. Maybe even significantly better which is scary when that statement is made about a team that could win 25 or 26 straight games.

THe double edge sword here is even though they will be better, can a team in CFB possibly go 3 straight years unbeaten? I mean, a slip up is only to be expected eventually.

THey do have a couple tough games to continue the winning streak... MSU and potentially Oregon in the RB.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything Mamba says is correct but you cant really fault the Buckeyes for their schedule. As he said Cal is in the worst season in school history but where scheduled when they were much better. As far as the B1G, they have really shit the bed. But as it is with any other team in a conf. you cannot control how good a conf. team is when you play them all you can do is try and win. It sucks but I personally like the BCS and keeping the bowls to mean something. But the playoff is coming so I will be happy if the Buckeyes go to the RB since it is really the last one that is really the Granddaddy.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G has been down pretty bad the past 2 seasons. Last year it was miserable watching those noon games on ESPN. I think there are more quality teams in the B1G this year: OSU, MSU, and Wisconsin.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Buckeye fans. I really do hate to start ANOTHER thread for yall.

But this needs to be mentioned.

Ohio State's 3 road wins in conference come at the expense of teams that have an 0-18 conference record.

Add Cal to that and the teams conferences records of tOSU's road opponents in 0-26!!!!

Add that to a game scheduled vs Cal years ago when they were a top 15 team rivaling USC as the best team in the PAC. Now Cal is having the worst year in school history. Cal will finish 1-11 with the only win being Portland State, a game that was close in the 4th quarter.

Ohio State is doing the job on the offense. The Bucks have some big time problems on defense. Giving up a lot of points to Illinois and Cal isnt a good reflection.

I think next year Ohio State's defense will be scary good as every one comes back. Next year is your year IMO.

I think it is a blessing that the Bucks are likely going to the RB this season. I think if they got beat badly by FSU or Bama.... The negative perception of the B1G would be enhanced.

Outside of MSU and Wisky is there any hope for the rest of the B1G in the future? Man, Coach Urb could go 3 seasons in a row without losing and due to other B1G teams or the National perception of the conference's deficiencies.

I also believe that FSU's scheduled opponents are no better than tOSUs. But FSU has looked absolutely dominant in every aspect of the game against everyone.

Nobody can score on them and the offense scores at will.

Sorry, that is all.

:suds:

No, they are losing just about everyone on the O-line side of the ball.

These debates about Ohio State are really pointless. We are talking about a team that has done very well during the BSC era. Not sure what mentioning this proves. As I recall your fanbase knows Ohio State fields a very good team. I'm sure you will let us all know that in the weeks a head.

If the point of this thread was to advocate for a one loss Oregon team to pass Ohio State then it was a total fail because it will not happen.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the perception of the B1G being bad is amazing to me. As others have said, Ohio State couldn't predict Cal needing to make a coaching change.

If Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State were all ranked people wouldn't be talking about the negative perception of the B1G. I'll admit I'm biased, but Wisconsin seems to get such little credit nationally for consistently being good to very good to great. Jerry Kill and that coaching staff don't get enough credit for what they're doing at Minnesota. Michigan State has an elite defense and an offense that's improving. Also there's an Iowa program that's once again taking steps forward with Kirk Ferentz. Penn State is what everyone thought they would be. Nebraska and Michigan are both inconsistent. Northwestern is tanking big time. It's unfortunate that the B1G has Illinois and Indiana that are both terrible, Beckman isn't the right guy for Illinois, and I'm not sure what to make of Indiana. Purdue is also down, but I think Darrell Hazell will do some nice things at Purdue.

It's unfortunate that we heard this narrative about how Michigan was now back and better than ever, when they're still coming back. Last year was the worst possible thing to happen to Penn State because now people had this inflated expectation of what Penn State could possibly be, they're still a pretty good football team though. Nebraska is doing what Nebraska does under Bo Pelini, they're the team that I think most could point to as disappointing.

So, no, I don't think this is Ohio State's fault. The B1G has some good teams, the power structure just isn't what people thought it would be. And there's no way Ohio State could forsee Cal making a coaching change.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their non-conference will increase in difficulty every year until 2024. Watch all those teams fall apart like Cal this year and we will be having the same discussion, it sucks but not really tOSU's fault.

And hopefully the B1G can return close to form as it has in the past. But I don't see it, with recruiting and coaching being the key.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they are losing just about everyone on the O-line side of the ball.

These debates about Ohio State are really pointless. We are talking about a team that has done very well during the BSC era. Not sure what mentioning this proves. As I recall your fanbase knows Ohio State fields a very good team. I'm sure you will let us all know that in the weeks a head.

If the point of this thread was to advocate for a one loss Oregon team to pass Ohio State then it was a total fail because it will not happen.

Not even a thought on my mind.

Oregon already lost.

My goal is for the Ducks to make it to the RB and win.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is why i laugh at everyone who makes a big deal about out of conference scheduling years in advance. it can be tough to know who will be good during a season in august, never mind 5 years earlier.

this is why i also laugh at everyone who makes fun of fans from teams in the SEC who like to see teams in the SEC do better. it's as if it never occurs to these people that indiana losing to missouri, purdue losing by 5 touchdowns to cincinnati, and multiple big 10 teams losing to the MAC effects the perception of the entire conference (as it should).

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is why i laugh at everyone who makes a big deal about out of conference scheduling years in advance. it can be tough to know who will be good during a season in august, never mind 5 years earlier.

exactly. Oregon scheduling Tennessee was thought to be one of the greatest grabs in Duck football history.

Just happened Oregon caught them when they were down which is very unfortunate from a fans perspective.

But, it was fun and their fans were incredible. Just the games werent what both fan bases hoped for.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there's no way Ohio State could forsee Cal making a coaching change.

Tedford was 82-57 at Cal...his best team was 10-2 in '04 with Aaron Rodgers at QB...what exactly did you think you were getting. I know I would have expected an 8-5, 7-6 type team, because that's what they typically were under Tedford...then the plan was to follow that up with Vandy, Buffalo and the Rattlers...not sure how you can't blame the AD for that shitfest.

Kudos for Ohio St. doing what it needed to do in the first place going forward...scheduling a Northern Illinois or North Carolina who may or may not be good would be like scheduling Cal...but in the future you are pairing them with Oklahoma and Virginia Tech...teams that have a much higher probability of being good.

With Ohio State's luck though the pendulum will swing back to the Big 10 and the conference will get better just as their OOC schedule takes an upturn.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is absurd to think you can predict sometimes even a year in advance how strong your schedule is gonna be. - I dont think there is anything wrong with the B1G right now that cant and wont be fixed and with the interest level at these schools in football the determination should be there to fix it. So, OOC scheduling very well may not be nearly as important for a tOSU in the next half decade as it now seems.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think reasonable people are blaming OSU for their schedule .. teams wax and wane, and all you can do is play the ones that you have scheduled. Last year it was probation, and this year it may be having more than 2 undefeated teams. Tough break ... but you have to have some luck to get to the NC, and that luck isn't breaking their way. It's always been that way, and there are still 4 weeks where things could change. If things play out like they are now, OSU is outside looking in. But under next year's playoff, they would be in.