• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it ever OK to switch your fandom?

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried to switch from the Jets during the Kotitte era. I have family in Florida near Tampa and spent a lot of time down there is I figured I root for them. Just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I have one friend who switched in baseball from the Mets to the Yankees. He was 9, and it was 1978 I believe. His favorite players were Dave Kingmon and Seaver. He wakes up one day and they had traded both of them for basically nothing. His Dad was a big Yankee fan, saw an opening and pounced. He watched Greg Nettles dive all over the field in a game, Goose Gossage came out in the 9th and threw heat and it was all over. He's been a Yankee fan ever since.

Yeah I grew up a Redskins fan have been a fan for the past 25 years. Lived in Giants territory so I despised them. I also despised the Cowboys, naturally. When the skins were out of the playoffs practically every year by late Nov I found myself constantly pulling for the Eagles, out of spite for the Giants and Cowboys more then anything.

Moved to Philly will live in Philly rest of my life. In laws and wife are all Philly fans. I have adapted all Philly teams minus the Eagles. Now the city is exciting, the Eagles are a very likable team outside of their latest addition of Michael Bennett, and there is no end in sight to the dysfunction/Snyder era in DC.

at 32 it almost seems insane not to jump on the Eagles bandwagon but its not the easy when you have 25 years invested into the Skins

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I grew up a Redskins fan have been a fan for the past 25 years. Lived in Giants territory so I despised them. I also despised the Cowboys, naturally. When the skins were out of the playoffs practically every year by late Nov I found myself constantly pulling for the Eagles, out of spite for the Giants and Cowboys more then anything.

Moved to Philly will live in Philly rest of my life. In laws and wife are all Philly fans. I have adapted all Philly teams minus the Eagles. Now the city is exciting, the Eagles are a very likable team outside of their latest addition of Michael Bennett, and there is no end in sight to the dysfunction/Snyder era in DC.

at 32 it almost seems insane not to jump on the Eagles bandwagon but its not the easy when you have 25 years invested into the Skins

I don't think adults can do it without being bandwagon. There was one point a number of years ago where there were rumors the Yankees might sign Manny Ramirez. I said if that happened I would pick a new team out of a hat (Excluding the Mets and Bosox). Not sure if I would have been able to do it though.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually have switched, and under very similar circumstances as the redskins now find themselves in. Back in the 70s and 80s, I was a huge Orioles fan. Rarely missed a game, either in person, on tv or radio. Then Angelos bought the team and ruined them for years. Frankly, I gave up. Just couldn't invest anymore emotional capital in a team run by such an idiot. While I didn't switch to another team immediately, I evolved away from baseball. Then the Nats came back to town. They are now my team.

Could I do this with the Redskins? If history is any indication, possibly. Dan is coming dangerously close to driving me away.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as there are lifelong Browns fans, a band that would not die in Indy and a Whalers fan club ... there are no excuses.

Dusty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a Yankees fan since I was a kid, a long time ago. Wish I still had my Yankees cards from 1957. Growing up in the 1950’s was just, well.............so wonderful. Trading cards as a kid was really fun back then. I wonder how many kids do it today? Maybe the internet, video games and too many other attractions? I was a Browns fan in the 1950’s. Sometime in the 1970’s, after attending a few Eagles games, I made the switch. Probably not a bad move. Just recently I switched from the Wizards to the Celtics. Why? I suppose because it’s a free country. I like the Celtics uniforms and parquet flooring better.

Last edited: