• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Iowa the team that has fallen the furthest?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa was looking good. They had articles saying "Look at this team, they can make the Final Four. They were in the Top 10, 1 win down from being top of the B1G conference, 3rd seed projection in March Madness, and this was just 2 weeks ago.

Now they are on a 3-game losing streak. They lost to Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Indiana. They can't even win close games against teams they should blowout.

Has there been any other team this season that has looked so amazing but has completely looked so bad?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa was looking good. They had articles saying "Look at this team, they can make the Final Four. They were in the Top 10, 1 win down from being top of the B1G conference, 3rd seed projection in March Madness, and this was just 2 weeks ago.

Now they are on a 3-game losing streak. They lost to Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Indiana. They can't even win close games against teams they should blowout.

Has there been any other team this season that has looked so amazing but has completely looked so bad?

Oregon would be a decent candidate, although their collapse happened much earlier. Lucky for Iowa, a game against MSU and the Big10 tournament leaves them plenty of room to climb back up.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem with Iowa is that they don't play good enough D. They let games get into shootouts a lot. They can score though no doubt.

And then when games get close, I guess you can call Marble a go to guy but he's streaky. And that's kinda the reason I think they struggle in close games. They have a lot of options and good players, but no true..here go out and win this f'ing game kinda guy.

They will be a nightmare draw though for whoever gets them early on. Like let's say they get a 7 seed which is close to what they are now....they are not a 7 seed type talent. It would suck being a 2 seed knowing you could get these guys second game.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan had a rough start. Wisconsin had bad stretch. No road game is a gimme in the BIG10. Indiana has nabbed more than just the Hawkeyes this season. I was thrownback more by the halftime score than the outcome. You guys will be fine.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
buckeye_basketball_babe_by_buckeyekes-d4r9ohv.jpg

I was gonna say Ohio State after losing 50 v-cash last night to PSU. This is the only positive I had from last night's game.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wisconsin on the 5 game losing streak earlier in the season.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon would be a decent candidate, although their collapse happened much earlier. Lucky for Iowa, a game against MSU and the Big10 tournament leaves them plenty of room to climb back up.

Looks like the Ducks have found their legs and mojo again, even IF UCLAs two best scorers had to ride the pines last night. Should be real interesting when the Zona schools come to Oregon next week to finish up. A solid showing in the Pac tourney could get the Ducks in the big dance, never know.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was gonna say Ohio State after losing 50 v-cash last night to PSU. This is the only positive I had from last night's game.

Nice picture. Going from 3rd to probably not ranked is a big drop, but I think we were ranked higher than we should have been.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem with Iowa is that they don't play good enough D. They let games get into shootouts a lot. They can score though no doubt.

And then when games get close, I guess you can call Marble a go to guy but he's streaky. And that's kinda the reason I think they struggle in close games. They have a lot of options and good players, but no true..here go out and win this f'ing game kinda guy.

They will be a nightmare draw though for whoever gets them early on. Like let's say they get a 7 seed which is close to what they are now....they are not a 7 seed type talent. It would suck being a 2 seed knowing you could get these guys second game.

THIS, THIS, and THIS

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwestern was going on the road and beating everyone early, I think they were 4th in the B1G at one point. They're now tied for last....

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky was ranked #1/#2 to start the season, and they are in all likelihood out of the top 25 on Monday. If I remember correctly, Iowa wasn't ranked to start the season, climbed into the Top 10 based on OOC play, then slid back down once they got into B1G play.

I think UK, Ohio State both have fallen farther than Iowa.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Iowa still can get back to being strong. I am just one of those fans who is pessimistic right now. I think if Iowa wins a few games, I will be all optimistic about them. I know it won't surprise anybody too bad if they make a run in the B1G Tourney and do good in March Madness. But right now, they are struggling on defense, other than rebounds.

I also think they need better clutch game plans. McCabe should not be the only one who takes the shot when Iowa needs it. I hate that he takes it, but respect him for going for it.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky was ranked #1/#2 to start the season, and they are in all likelihood out of the top 25 on Monday. If I remember correctly, Iowa wasn't ranked to start the season, climbed into the Top 10 based on OOC play, then slid back down once they got into B1G play.

I think UK, Ohio State both have fallen farther than Iowa.

Victims of early season rankings. Both were way higher than they should have been. UK is maybe the bigger surprise to be where they are with the level of talent they pulled in.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Victims of early season rankings. Both were way higher than they should have been. UK is maybe the bigger surprise to be where they are with the level of talent they pulled in.

Here's what I think is the issue with UK:

Last years' team showed exactly why the year before, when they won it all, was special. It wasn't just because of Anthony Davis, but they had some juniors and seniors that knew how to lead. Set examples, and survive late game storms. They had a great mix of experience and talent.

Last years' team did not have this, and this years' team (while even more talented) doesn't have it either. It's a problem that UK is going to face every year when their best 4-5 players are going to leave every year, or two. They have zero player leadership, and too many guys that want to be the HERO and not enough of TEAM. These guys, at times, look completely disinterested in playing together.

A good example of having less talent, but playing as a complete team would be a team like Cincinnati (just as an example). They are not going to wow you with talent, but they all accept their roles, have solid leadership on the floor, and simply love playing with one another. The results have been pretty amazing considering that even most of the fans (myself included) figured that this would be a big transition year.

Talent is only part of the equation. While Calipari is doing all he can, and recruits like a maniac, it might actually behoove him to find a few guys that don't intend to jump after a year, or two, so that UK can build some leadership to take advantage of the talent they are getting each year.

Sure, it might mean not winning the recruiting title every year, but they'd be much closer to winning an actual title that matters.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. Iowa will be a tough out on a short turnaround situation. You're not going to fool anyone in conference play because everything is so well scouted. Iowa's press doesn't fool anyone, it'll create turnovers, but coaches know it and get it. In a tourney situation, it will be much different. I think part of their issue is McCaffery needs to tell them to slow down sometimes. They get moving too fast and they get careless with the basketball.

With that said, Iowa is a really good basketball team. I'd be scared to play them in the NCAA tournament, and if they get that far into the weekend of the B1G tournament.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I think is the issue with UK:

Last years' team showed exactly why the year before, when they won it all, was special. It wasn't just because of Anthony Davis, but they had some juniors and seniors that knew how to lead. Set examples, and survive late game storms. They had a great mix of experience and talent.

Last years' team did not have this, and this years' team (while even more talented) doesn't have it either. It's a problem that UK is going to face every year when their best 4-5 players are going to leave every year, or two. They have zero player leadership, and too many guys that want to be the HERO and not enough of TEAM. These guys, at times, look completely disinterested in playing together.

A good example of having less talent, but playing as a complete team would be a team like Cincinnati (just as an example). They are not going to wow you with talent, but they all accept their roles, have solid leadership on the floor, and simply love playing with one another. The results have been pretty amazing considering that even most of the fans (myself included) figured that this would be a big transition year.

Talent is only part of the equation. While Calipari is doing all he can, and recruits like a maniac, it might actually behoove him to find a few guys that don't intend to jump after a year, or two, so that UK can build some leadership to take advantage of the talent they are getting each year.

Sure, it might mean not winning the recruiting title every year, but they'd be much closer to winning an actual title that matters.

This is a great point. And it makes certain teams, especially Arizona (I know I am biased but hear me out) but also Florida, WSU, Syracuse etc much more effective because there aren't egos looking to show off their talent to NBA scouts.

The reason I say especially Arizona is that we are the ultimate team. The extra pass, the meshed defensive unit, the upperclassmen leadership. We have everything that your typical midmajor that can make a run has (minus seniors and plus uber-talented freshman), however the difference is that our whole team is blue chip prospects. It's extremely rare to have the combination of all that WITH the talent level, and it's why when we play our best we have a great chance at the title even missing a starter.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man people overreact all the time in CBB. " OMG ARIZONA LOST ASHLEY THEY ARE SCREWED!!!!"... LOL. " OMG WISCONSIN LOST A FEW GAMES IN A ROW THEY MUST SUCK!!!!"...Double LOL. " OMG SYRACUSE IS PLAYING CLOSE GAMES AND GOT BEAT BY BC!!! THEY HAVE NO SHOT!!!!".... Triple LOL. The reality about Iowa is the same its been all year. Very potent offensively, tend to get lazy on D, cant close out games but can beat anybody in the country on any given night. Road losses to Minnesota and Indiana dont change any of that. Iowa could lose first round of the NCAA tourney or make the EE and neither would surprise me in the slightest. Just a weird ass team to cheer for.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man people overreact all the time in CBB. " OMG ARIZONA LOST ASHLEY THEY ARE SCREWED!!!!"... LOL. " OMG WISCONSIN LOST A FEW GAMES IN A ROW THEY MUST SUCK!!!!"...Double LOL. " OMG SYRACUSE IS PLAYING CLOSE GAMES AND GOT BEAT BY BC!!! THEY HAVE NO SHOT!!!!".... Triple LOL. The reality about Iowa is the same its been all year. Very potent offensively, tend to get lazy on D, cant close out games but can beat anybody in the country on any given night. Road losses to Minnesota and Indiana dont change any of that. Iowa could lose first round of the NCAA tourney or make the EE and neither would surprise me in the slightest. Just a weird ass team to cheer for.

I'd rather be in your situation... a big, athletic team that puts up a lot of points. Our team plays good D but can't come from behind because we have no scoring.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather be in your situation... a big, athletic team that puts up a lot of points. Our team plays good D but can't come from behind because we have no scoring.

It's funny, this years Ohio State reminds me a lot of Wisconsin of a couple of years ago when we had Jordan Taylor running point. I'd never count Ohio State out because I think very highly of Thad Matta, but the comparisons are there, to me, at least.