• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This team is soft

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zac Taylor and the coaches have received rave reviews from the players for taking care of them during the offseason with a light schedule that is based on the idea that leaders will be self-motivated and they'll do the work needed to win. I'm not sure it's his approach that has caused this, but it's clear that the team has lost its edge and they are soft. They got their doors blown off by the other AFC-N teams this season..... Couldn't stop the running attack of any of these teams and couldn't manage any consistent offense either. Some guys didn't get paid so they left. Some got paid and regressed. Some are waiting to get paid and not playing up to past performance. The rookies and 2nd year guys look good in spots, but not exactly ready for expanded roles. Missed tackles, missed assignments, and disorganized schemes seem to plague these guys a few times a week. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with Zac's country club approach..... But at this point, it sure feels like it does. The Bengals continue to look like a team that didn't bother practicing the week before a big game. Time to adjust.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EXPOSED. dammit

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zac Taylor and the coaches have received rave reviews from the players for taking care of them during the offseason with a light schedule that is based on the idea that leaders will be self-motivated and they'll do the work needed to win. I'm not sure it's his approach that has caused this, but it's clear that the team has lost its edge and they are soft. They got their doors blown off by the other AFC-N teams this season..... Couldn't stop the running attack of any of these teams and couldn't manage any consistent offense either. Some guys didn't get paid so they left. Some got paid and regressed. Some are waiting to get paid and not playing up to past performance. The rookies and 2nd year guys look good in spots, but not exactly ready for expanded roles. Missed tackles, missed assignments, and disorganized schemes seem to plague these guys a few times a week. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with Zac's country club approach..... But at this point, it sure feels like it does. The Bengals continue to look like a team that didn't bother practicing the week before a big game. Time to adjust.
I'm going to agree, but use another phrase: This team lacks urgency. That starts with Taylor and his approach to the off-season and pre-season. It's always "early" and there's always "time to right the ship". While I agree you don't have to react in a knee jerk manner to every issue and loss, you also have to have a sense of urgency with EVERY game because this is the NFL and other teams are good, too. Even the bad ones.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to agree, but use another phrase: This team lacks urgency. That starts with Taylor and his approach to the off-season and pre-season. It's always "early" and there's always "time to right the ship". While I agree you don't have to react in a knee jerk manner to every issue and loss, you also have to have a sense of urgency with EVERY game because this is the NFL and other teams are good, too. Even the bad ones.
Yeah, the positive attitude doesn't bother me. Kicking, screaming and throwing players under the bus is the type of stuff that a coach does right before he gets fired. We don't need that. But missing tackles, allowing TJ Watt to run at your QB unblocked, having 12 guys on the field (different game), struggling with d-line stunts, losing guys in pass-off coverage..... All this stuff looks like a team that hasn't practiced or hasn't been held accountable for their responsibilities. I think sense of urgency is right - They just don't look right. They looked right in about 3 games this year.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there were several head scratchers in the off-season

not drafting a good tight end, not drafting a good running back. begging jonah Williams to stay. on and on, it was bad. we rationalized that it was ok, but it wasn't.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there were several head scratchers in the off-season

not drafting a good tight end, not drafting a good running back. begging jonah Williams to stay. on and on, it was bad. we rationalized that it was ok, but it wasn't.
They should have targeted a RB in F/A. Mixon has some really poor grades outside of just the blocking issues.

I don't know his grade or anything, but overall Williams has been OK. No great, not bad. I would have loved to have landed Dewand Jones in the draft...

TE is meh. Sample isn't the answer, and neither is Hudson, but Hudson has played very well when Burrow was in there. Smith is a non-factor. But, in general, the TE is the 5th most targeted position on offense from Burrow...it doesn't make a ton of sense to spend money there, or draft super high when the position itself isn't going to receive the targets. Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon all had more targets/receptions than Hurst last year...and I think we would have all liked to have Hurst back under the right deal.

But, more than just talent, the process is broken on offense. It's hard to be good when you scheme is basic and sucks. It's the equivalent of the other team knowing your play call. They still have to make the play(s), but it's a ton easier and puts a ton of pressure on the offense to execute flawlessly consistently, which obviously will never happen no matter the player or team.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have targeted a RB in F/A. Mixon has some really poor grades outside of just the blocking issues.

I don't know his grade or anything, but overall Williams has been OK. No great, not bad. I would have loved to have landed Dewand Jones in the draft...

TE is meh. Sample isn't the answer, and neither is Hudson, but Hudson has played very well when Burrow was in there. Smith is a non-factor. But, in general, the TE is the 5th most targeted position on offense from Burrow...it doesn't make a ton of sense to spend money there, or draft super high when the position itself isn't going to receive the targets. Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon all had more targets/receptions than Hurst last year...and I think we would have all liked to have Hurst back under the right deal.

But, more than just talent, the process is broken on offense. It's hard to be good when you scheme is basic and sucks. It's the equivalent of the other team knowing your play call. They still have to make the play(s), but it's a ton easier and puts a ton of pressure on the offense to execute flawlessly consistently, which obviously will never happen no matter the player or team.
The lack of a running back FA is the biggest head scratcher of the offseason for me. It's not like it was something that they didn't do because they are cheap. There were plenty of guys available that make next to nothing. We just saw one from the Texans that ran all over us. I get the TE situation.... They took a chance on Irv Smith - A high draft pick that was hard to fully evaluate due to injuries. Given their success with Uzomah and Hurst, it was hard to fully question the move. Particularly with Wilcox and Sample coming back. I don't think anyone could have predicted that Irv would be a complete non-factor in almost every game.

I liked the move with Jonah for both him and the team. He's never going to live up to his first round status, but he's going to get paid decent money as an FA this offseason. A guy that can start for you at RT and can also swing over to LT if your starter gets injured is fairly rare in the NFL. While he's not dominant at either position, he is certainly better than a lot of starting RTs and definitely better than most back-ups at LT. Versatility will help him.

The biggest miss was safety. Nick Scott has not been good. The difference between him and Vonn Bell was 10 million in guaranteed money. This one reminds me of the Whitworth situation. Sometimes you lose more than the player - Bell was a leader on that D and he was definitely the muscle.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of a running back FA is the biggest head scratcher of the offseason for me. It's not like it was something that they didn't do because they are cheap. There were plenty of guys available that make next to nothing. We just saw one from the Texans that ran all over us. I get the TE situation.... They took a chance on Irv Smith - A high draft pick that was hard to fully evaluate due to injuries. Given their success with Uzomah and Hurst, it was hard to fully question the move. Particularly with Wilcox and Sample coming back. I don't think anyone could have predicted that Irv would be a complete non-factor in almost every game.

I liked the move with Jonah for both him and the team. He's never going to live up to his first round status, but he's going to get paid decent money as an FA this offseason. A guy that can start for you at RT and can also swing over to LT if your starter gets injured is fairly rare in the NFL. While he's not dominant at either position, he is certainly better than a lot of starting RTs and definitely better than most back-ups at LT. Versatility will help him.

The biggest miss was safety. Nick Scott has not been good. The difference between him and Vonn Bell was 10 million in guaranteed money. This one reminds me of the Whitworth situation. Sometimes you lose more than the player - Bell was a leader on that D and he was definitely the muscle.
Pretty much spot on...

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a complete TE would get a lot of traction on this team. I believe that. one that can also take snaps at FB would be good for our scheme, we allow unblocked blitzes too often, it's insane.

we could do some quick routes with the wr pack we usually carry, but often, we just don't. burrow scans the field, he looks for a dump off, and he's running around.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your both forgetting that having a more complete TE would also require a scheme to utilize said talent...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your both forgetting that having a more complete TE would also require a scheme to utilize said talent...
I am not forgetting about that. But maybe if you had a talent like Kelce, Kittle, Andrews...you find a way to include it in your scheme, not just leave it with tumbleweeds blowing across the TE pass options sheet. We haven't had a tremendous talent at TE, we have had average to below average TE's here since Taylor got here.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not much pass rush. OL is a sieve. These are the problems. Oh the secondary....not good. We've been sliced and diced.
trenches, trenches, trenches

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not forgetting about that. But maybe if you had a talent like Kelce, Kittle, Andrews...you find a way to include it in your scheme, not just leave it with tumbleweeds blowing across the TE pass options sheet. We haven't had a tremendous talent at TE, we have had average to below average TE's here since Taylor got here.
Sure...but the Bengals have also been touting Chase, Higgins, and one of the best slot guys (until this year) in Boyd. At some point you have to decide how much you are going to invest in pass catchers...there's only so many targets to go around. I think this would be a much bigger thing if the Bengals haven't had Chase, Higgins and Boyd. Next year, we are likely down to Chase...so adding another true threat in the passing game is a must. Will that be a TE? I don't know, but if you are going to invest in another high caliber pass catcher, then the next investment needs to be somewhere else on the team.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure...but the Bengals have also been touting Chase, Higgins, and one of the best slot guys (until this year) in Boyd. At some point you have to decide how much you are going to invest in pass catchers...there's only so many targets to go around. I think this would be a much bigger thing if the Bengals haven't had Chase, Higgins and Boyd. Next year, we are likely down to Chase...so adding another true threat in the passing game is a must. Will that be a TE? I don't know, but if you are going to invest in another high caliber pass catcher, then the next investment needs to be somewhere else on the team.
I think we need to find that next great TE, as they seem to be cheaper on the market than great WR's.

You pair Chase with a great TE, have a good #2, and a Charlie Brown in the slot, you have a damn good core of receivers without paying as much for the same options basically.

Chase
Great TE
Very fast RB with great hands that can take it to the house like Gibbs.
Work on your offensive line

If you can give Burrow that offense, I we could be a top 5 offense in the NFL overall. Probably still average to below average rushing offense, but good enough to scare the hell out of defenses with a back like that.

Start using the playbook to get all the guys open over the middle more with their speed on nickle backs and LB'ers.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to find that next great TE, as they seem to be cheaper on the market than great WR's.

You pair Chase with a great TE, have a good #2, and a Charlie Brown in the slot, you have a damn good core of receivers without paying as much for the same options basically.

Chase
Great TE
Very fast RB with great hands that can take it to the house like Gibbs.
Work on your offensive line

If you can give Burrow that offense, I we could be a top 5 offense in the NFL overall. Probably still average to below average rushing offense, but good enough to scare the hell out of defenses with a back like that.

Start using the playbook to get all the guys open over the middle more with their speed on nickle backs and LB'ers.
I don't disagree with that approach, it was just the team already had Higgins and then Chase. Boyd was already here...so...those 3 were the targets, and they all were a hit in terms of production. That allowed them to use their resources elsewhere.

Like I pointed out before, even with Hurst, who I think we all liked, he was 5th on the team in targets. A top end TE likely commands more, but how much more? Burrow was clearly targeting WR's as the primary threats....so, as long as those 3 were signed and producing - it made sense not to go after a high priced guy.

Things change next year...Boyd is likely out. Higgins...who knows. Do they tag him? Do they let him walk? But, what happens with him is going to be key, because if they do decide to tag/keep him...that money is tied up and not going to a TE. It'll be either draft or, likely, another 1 year deal kind of guy.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bestest way to fix any issues with Cincy would be to trade Burrow & Chase to my team for Watson, Amari Cooper + multiple 1st rounders. :heh:

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm upset...this should be spelled SAWFT....

Ya Boomer....LOL