• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Cousins is the best comp
Maybe but one thing I notice about Cousins is he's a really good empty stat QB, putting up numbers in futile comeback attempts. Not sure Baker has been a guy to do that. Seems like when we fall behind by a lot he was toast.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but one thing I notice about Cousins is he's a really good empty stat QB, putting up numbers in futile comeback attempts. Not sure Baker has been a guy to do that. Seems like when we fall behind by a lot he was toast.

He's overly emotional. It's good and bad.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither stat is truly accurate, but I prefer the original QB Rating system
seriously? where a pass by the QB right to the DB that gets tipped to a RB who runs 80 yards looks like a great play by the QB in their rating? OTOH, a perfect pass thrown on a laser but the WR tips it to the DB is seen as an awful throw.

a 10 yard pass on 3rd and 12 is seen as a better play than an 8 yard throw on 3rd and 7.

In addition, you need only look at stats to come up with a passer rating. You actually need to see the game to come up with a guy's QBR.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't say his first 4 seasons unless I missed it. He only started one of those . If you think Baker compares to a guy who would start one out of every 4 years I'd agree I guess.

Point being age wise he's ahead of where Kirk was.

I have no idea where Baker lands but he's shown enough to not throw dirt on his qb grave.

But at the same time I can also see Cleveland running the ball at will on a very good GB team and Baker throwing 4 picks and Cleveland losing by 2.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seriously? where a pass by the QB right to the DB that gets tipped to a RB who runs 80 yards looks like a great play by the QB in their rating? OTOH, a perfect pass thrown on a laser but the WR tips it to the DB is seen as an awful throw.

a 10 yard pass on 3rd and 12 is seen as a better play than an 8 yard throw on 3rd and 7.

In addition, you need only look at stats to come up with a passer rating. You actually need to see the game to come up with a guy's QBR.
Again, neither is accurate, but QBR relies on supporting players to give a QB an INDIVIDUAL rating.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season can be racked up to he was hurt.....and he still played.

If he didn't.....people would rip him. He was in a can't win situation.
I do think a lot of his poor play could not be tied to the injury such as some decision making...but no doubt he'd have been ripped if he shut it down when he got hurt.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for proving it is an inability to read
thanks for being spooked by another direct question, Question Coward. Here it is again.....On what do you base him being average in 2020?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker's QBR was 23rd best his rookie year. Now that we have been told that is the only stat that matters we can clearly state that Baker had a bad year in 2018. Also noticed that same season that Trubisky's QBR was 3rd in the league. I had no idea he was elite.
are you trying to get into the Liar Club of SportsHoopla? Who told you QBR is the only stat that matters?

Baker was not great compared to all other QBs in 2018. Of course, he was better than many of his peers, none of whom joined an 0-16 team that used 2 coaches as a rookie. as well as an OC trying to get the first coach fired.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, neither is accurate, but QBR relies on supporting players to give a QB an INDIVIDUAL rating.
Isn't that a good thing? Is it better to not take into account what his teammates did to help or hinder the QB's(and team's) success?

You think a WR dropping a perfect pass should be on the QB? a pass right to the DB that he drops and is caught by a WR is a good throw by the QB?

Is the latter good for the team? Sure. But not because of the QB.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rodgers too

Yes let's use the one example in the last 2 decades where a qb sat behind another legendary qb as the standard.

Kirk cousins battled with Colt Mccoy for reps.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point being age wise he's ahead of where Kirk was.

I have no idea where Baker lands but he's shown enough to not throw dirt on his qb grave.

But at the same time I can also see Cleveland running the ball at will on a very good GB team and Baker throwing 4 picks and Cleveland losing by 2.
I know part of it is the OL, but even as highly thought of as he now is across the league, I still think Chubb is underrated. Guy is just amazing IMO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for being spooked by another direct question, Question Coward. Here it is again.....On what do you base him being average in 2020?
Go back and read my posts. Or ask someone to read them to you

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seriously are you just unable to read?
I could care less about passer rating or QBR. I, again, simply picked the most commonly used stats to show that even in his best year he was nothing more than NFL average. Why do you keep bringing up the QBR and passer rating comparison/discussion as if I’m stating one is better than the other or have even professed my thoughts about either? I’ve not once commented on how good i think either is in this discussion nor whether I even prefer one to the other. in some bizarre way you are arguing as if I’ve made a claim about either of them. It’s completely irrelevant to everything other than your usual attempt to steer the discussion a certain way For some reason. Again, remove passer rating from the list of most commonly used stats that I posted if you for some reason feel the need to. With or without it he was only average in 2020.
Best one I could find for ya, champ (at least most detailed)...and it does not answer the question that has you spooked. What makes you say he was just average in 2020? You gave no explanation since you made the comment above.