• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not disagreeing he's behind those QB's. But I still say he gets in. Here's something interesting about Rivers. He started more playoff games (12 / 5-7) at QB without a S.B. trip than anyone else. That's not good.
Hall of Tony Romo, Eli Manning, & Matt Stafford...with Joe Flacco and Andy Dalton on point duty. There...now multiple fan bases at Hoop.la can consider themselves duly insulted. :D :bolt:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins and Eli are/were both way better than Baker. Not even close. IMO of course. You think if Cousins even at his advanced age was on the block for $18M it would have taken the Browns to eat all but about $5M before someone would agree to take him? And even at that point give up so little? I'd be shocked if people actually thought that
Getting back to comparisons, to me it’s simple. Bakers comp is Jimmy G.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting back to comparisons, to me it’s simple. Bakers comp is Jimmy G.
Finding his comp depends what we are looking for. Is it a guy who will win as much (or as little)? Similar stats? Plays like him? etc. No matter which of those I don't see it with Jimmy G and I'd say that more as a knock on Baker than Jimmy G right now.

If we are comparing first 4 seasons, I'd say Derek Carr might not be a bad comparison. Probably a better one I'm not thinking of. If I can pick anyone even though game was different Aikman might not be a bad one if we are only looking at first 4 seasons.

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker is actually one qb, that I can justify erratic play. But i think ive over estimated him somewhat.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker is actually one qb, that I can justify erratic play. But i think ive over estimated him somewhat.
I have, for sure. after his 2020 season when he played with yet another coach in yet another system AND no normal offseason or camp because of Covid (with no preseason games) he had at worse a really nice season. Figured he could have another season like that or better when he finally got the chance to play in the same system for 2 straight years.

Whoops......but still way too early to just write him off.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have, for sure. after his 2020 season when he played with yet another coach in yet another system AND no normal offseason or camp because of Covid (with no preseason games) he had at worse a really nice season. Figured he could have another season like that or better when he finally got the chance to play in the same system for 2 straight years.

I dunno why. I love bakers moxie. Oddly his accuracy has been erratic, iirc. Bakers an accurate passer. I wanna see what he does in carolina. Major line drop off. You can argue he loses chubb/hunt but he gains mcaffrey. Huge uprgrades in his passing options. Dj moore is a stuuuud

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Garoppolo is better than Mayfield and has a higher ceiling, but Garoppolo hasn't been durable. Garoppolo figures to have a statistically sub-standard season in 2022 because he won't join his new team until late in preseason. Potentially he could re-sign with the 49ers for 2022 on reduced terms. I don't think there will be much between Mayfield, Mac Jones, Hurts, and Tagovailoa in terms of TD pass %, Int %, and yards per 100 pass attempts, (excluding drop-backs/sacks). Mayfield might have a slight edge in that last category. I would have put this foursome at 18-21 in the QB rankings but Ryan and Wentz will likely regress with age.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Garoppolo is better than Mayfield and has a higher ceiling, but Garoppolo hasn't been durable. Garoppolo figures to have a statistically sub-standard season in 2022 because he won't join his new team until late in preseason. Potentially he could re-sign with the 49ers for 2022 on reduced terms. I don't think there will be much between Mayfield, Mac Jones, Hurts, and Tagovailoa in terms of TD pass %, Int %, and yards per 100 pass attempts, (excluding drop-backs/sacks). Mayfield might have a slight edge in that last category. I would have put this foursome at 18-21 in the QB rankings but Ryan and Wentz will likely regress with age.
I disagree with jimmy>baker. . However, I really like the rationale on the rest. I think 3 of the 4 qbs on your list all actually really intrigueMe. I think they have breakout potential, and i strongly doubt its the three anyone is thinking. So while i can see 18-21 i think one or two are really gonna surprise.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says I don't understand English, then says "what part of what that isn't subjective" and doesn't know difference between your and you're

Ya gotta love this forum.

Hidden agenda? Because I prefer QBR to passer rating to grade the performance of a QB?
Do you really want to go there? You'll embarrass yourself more than you already have. Which I didn't think was possible.

Glad to see you admitted in another post it's subjective. We can now put that, YOUR hidden agenda and you to bed now.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say JG has the higher floor as I doubt he'll ever have a season like baker did last year. Higher ceiling? Maybe but not as sure as you. would want to see Baker injury free again.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really want to go there? You'll embarrass yourself more than you already have. Which I didn't think was possible.

Glad to see you admitted in another post it's subjective. We can now put that, YOUR hidden agenda and you to bed now.
Go where? If you have an example where I called out someone for grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. while making mistakes in that area in the same post (or even the same sentence) please feel free to bring it up.

Admitted it was subjective? What was to admit? This is a good thing. Better than just thinking "80 yard TD, must have been a great play by the QB" when the ball should have been picked and a RB broke 5 tackles to go 80 yards on the 5 yard throw.

What is my hidden agenda, question coward?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There’s your answer on baker as I’ve said before. The tape on the player and scheme was studied by nfl defensive coordinators

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s your answer on baker as I’ve said before. The tape on the player and scheme was studied by nfl defensive coordinators
And if he has another bad year when healthy it might be time to write him off. But he hasn't yet.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go where? If you have an example where I called out someone for grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. while making mistakes in that area in the same post (or even the same sentence) please feel free to bring it up.

Admitted it was subjective? What was to admit? This is a good thing. Better than just thinking "80 yard TD, must have been a great play by the QB" when the ball should have been picked and a RB broke 5 tackles to go 80 yards on the 5 yard throw.

What is my hidden agenda, question coward?
Oh no not the question coward again. You are adorable.

You know you got outed for trying to be a GrammAr Nazi. Don't try and pull your normal bs and make it about a singular post. No one will help you move those goal posts. Your Eng.ish comp, spelling and grammar are terrible though you try playing it off.

As I said a one yard dump off that goes for 80 is an 80 yd pass. We all know and accept it. Only someone with a hidden agenda would think or try twist that into a QB great pass.

Keep posting, keep proving.

Got to love this forum

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he has another bad year when healthy it might be time to write him off. But he hasn't yet.
You should add or if he doesn't have talent around him.

Or if it's not an offense that fits his skill set.

Or his FO didn't surround him with talent.

Or his cat died.

Or, or, or...

You know cover all your waffle bases.

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should add or if he doesn't have talent around him.

Or if it's not an offense that fits his skill set.

Or his FO didn't surround him with talent.

Or his cat died.

Or, or, or...

You know cover all your waffle bases.

Baker…statistically the worst QB since being drafted while on a team that is listed as the 6th best roster in football. While Sam has had to overcome the Jets and a depleted and injured Panthers roster. He will be lucky to even play next year lol...Good Luck.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how he'll find success in Carolina, but stranger things have happened, I guess.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker…statistically the worst QB since being drafted while on a team that is listed as the 6th best roster in football. While Sam has had to overcome the Jets and a depleted and injured Panthers roster. He will be lucky to even play next year lol...Good Luck.

Are you trying to say Darnold > BM?