• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is 6-1 a possible score in a game?

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it has ever happened, but is it possible? I have friends who say no, but wouldn't this yield one point? (Note: It requires one team to score a touchdown, so a score could be 6-1, but not 1-0).

Team A scores a touchdown and lines up for an extra point or two point conversion. Team B stops them either on an interception or blocked PAT and begins returning the ball the other way to try to score 2 points of their own. Team B returns the ball nearly all the way and then fumble the ball into the end zone as they are about to make the score 6-2. Team A recovers the ball in the end zone (or it is knocked out the back or side of the end zone). Would this not result in a score of 6-1?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just "no".

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it has ever happened, but is it possible? I have friends who say no, but wouldn't this yield one point? (Note: It requires one team to score a touchdown, so a score could be 6-1, but not 1-0).

Team A scores a touchdown and lines up for an extra point or two point conversion. Team B stops them either on an interception or blocked PAT and begins returning the ball the other way to try to score 2 points of their own. Team B returns the ball nearly all the way and then fumble the ball into the end zone as they are about to make the score 6-2. Team A recovers the ball in the end zone (or it is knocked out the back or side of the end zone). Would this not result in a score of 6-1?

Let's take that scenario out of the PAT and use it as an attempted field goal in the normal course of play. The result would be a touchback, first and 10 on the 20 for Team A. This is not a point scoring play in the normal course of play, why would it be worth 1 point on a PAT attempt?

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's take that scenario out of the PAT and use it as an attempted field goal in the normal course of play. The result would be a touchback, first and 10 on the 20 for Team A. This is not a point scoring play in the normal course of play, why would it be worth 1 point on a PAT attempt?

Good point, I left out one part.

Okay let's say Team A recovered the ball and brought it out of the end zone in an attempt to return it all the way back to the other end zone to go up 8-0. After they bring it out of the end zone, they backtrack and are tackled in the end zone. That would be worth 1 point, no?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PUT IT DOWN!

giphy.gif

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PUT IT DOWN!

giphy.gif

It's a legitimate question. I've seen a team earn 1 point on a PAT without kicking the ball through the uprights, so weird things can and do happen.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a legitimate question. I've seen a team earn 1 point on a PAT without kicking the ball through the uprights, so weird things can and do happen.

No the team that would be on Defense cannot score 1 point. In college ball the defense can only score 2 pts on a blocked PAT or say an interception or fumble on a 2pt conversion.

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the team that would be on Defense cannot score 1 point. In college ball the defense can only score 2 pts on a blocked PAT or say an interception or fumble on a 2pt conversion.

do you have a link to that? on PAT attempts, I thought "touchdowns" were worth 2 points and "safeties" were worth 1 point, regardless of the end zone they occurred in.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always wanted to see this:

Team A scores with less than a minute left to take a 1 point lead... they line up to go for 2 to give them a field goal lead

Team B intercepts it and runs it back for 2

Team A loses by 1

talk about heartbreaking

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always wanted to see this:

Team A scores with less than a minute left to take a 1 point lead... they line up to go for 2 to give them a field goal lead

Team B intercepts it and runs it back for 2

Team A loses by 1

talk about heartbreaking

auburn will do that this year. team B of course.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is such thing as a 1 point safety. I remember about 10 years ago Texas/aTm had one in their game

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you have a link to that? on PAT attempts, I thought "touchdowns" were worth 2 points and "safeties" were worth 1 point, regardless of the end zone they occurred in.

It is called a 2pt touchdown.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but I think in both of those, the team that scored the touchdown got the 1 point safety, effectively being the same as a made PAT.

I think my logic is sound though in the scenario I described that you could get a 6-1 score.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure that and a PAT are the only ways to score 1 point in CFB.

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I know there are 1 point safeties. It's happened a couple of times. But in both of those cases, it was the team that scored the touchdown earning the 1 point after a TD, effectively just being a good PAT. I'm asking if it is possible for the team that did not score the TD to get a 1 point safety. FSUManager says no, but I don't have the rulebook in front of me.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is such thing as a 1 point safety. I remember about 10 years ago Texas/aTm had one in their game

That is for the team that was going for the PAT or 2pt conversion. Not for the team that would have been on offense. Which is what the OP is trying to figure out if it is possible.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got this from answers.com...

A one point safety can occur during extra point tries. In college football, the ball is "live" during extra point kicks and two point conversions. Should the defensive team recover or interecept the ball, and then retreat backwards into their end zone and be tackled, ONE point is awarded to the offensive team. This occured during the Texan-Texas A&M game. A one point safety can occur during a pro game on a block kick attempt. Answer to get a 1 point safety is on a extra point attempt. the kick gets block and the other team recovers it and is out of the endzone then he runs back in his endzone and gets tackled A one point safety is also called if the offense carries the ball out of the endzone, fumbles back into the endzone and then recovers it and cannot advance it back out. This happened in a Tennessee-Florida game a few years back. Answer Though it has never happened, there is one other way in which a one-point safety can be scored in a college football game*, this one by the defensive team. A player on the offensive team must be tackled in his own end zone during a point-after or two-point-conversion attempt. Because that end zone is usually 97 yards away from the original line of scrimmage, you can see why this is an unlikely event. But it is possible. For example, the offensive team, after scoring a touchdown, opts for a point-after kick, but it is blocked, then recovered by an offensive player, who, in attempting to score a 2-point conversion while avoiding being tackled, retreats all the way back to his own end zone, where he is either tackled or steps over the back or side lines of his own end zone.
Another (more likely, albeit complicated) example: the offensive team goes for a 2-point conversion, but the ball is intercepted or fumbled and recovered by a defensive player. The defensive player attempts to run it all the way down the field for a defensive two-point conversion, but fumbles the ball just before reaching the end zone. The rest of what transpires follows the typical rules for scoring a safety, i.e. the loose ball is ultimately either:
(1) recovered just before the goal line by an offensive player who runs it back past the goal line and is downed or steps out of bounds in his own end zone, (2) muffed into the end zone where it is recovered an offensive player who is then downed or steps out of bounds in his own end zone, or (3) muffed by an offensive player past the goal line with the loose ball going out of bounds in the end zone, either to side or out the back of the end zone.
* NFL rules do not allow for a "defensive conversion safety". If either of the above examples occurred in an NFL game, no points would be awarded, and the team that had just scored the touchdown would kick off as usual.