• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is 6-1 a possible score in a game?

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good find bamabear. that was the logic i was after.

i'm just not sure if "answers.com" is correct.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to Wiki: Safety (gridiron football score) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Conversion safety[edit]

In American football, if what would normally be a safety is scored on an extra point or two-point conversion attempt (officially known in the rulebooks as a try), one point is awarded to the scoring team.[21][22][23] This is commonly known as a conversion safety or one-point safety[24] and it can be scored by the offense.[21][23] There are at least two known occurrences of the conversion safety in Division I college football – a November 26, 2004 game in which Texas scored against Texas A&M, and the 2013 Fiesta Bowl in which Oregon scored against Kansas State.[25] In both games the PAT kick was blocked, recovered by the defense, and then fumbled or thrown back into the end zone.[26] Coincidentally, play-by-play commentator Brad Nessler called both of these games.[27] No conversion safeties have been scored in the NFL since 1940, in part due to the ball becoming dead as soon as the defense gains possession. The only scenario in which a one-point safety could be scored in NFL play would involve the defense kicking or batting a loose ball out the back of the end zone without taking possession of it.[28]
In college football, a conversion safety could also be scored by the defense.[22] To accomplish this, the kicking team would have to retreat all the way back to their own end zone and then fumble the ball out of it or be tackled in it.[24] While such a conversion safety has never been scored by the defense, it is the only possible way in which a team could finish with a single point in an American football game.[24][A]

yes, it is possible. however, I'd give the probability of it happening at about 0.000000001% chance. Thus thought technically correct, you are aguing something that is pretty much impossible and shoud just stop arguing with people about it.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good find bamabear. that was the logic i was after.

i'm just not sure if "answers.com" is correct.

I'm not either but it sounds right.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha, found this article while searching: Thus Spiked: The Wonderful World Of One Point Safeties

apparently it is programmed in the video game: "NCAA Football 06" like you suggest:

1_point.jpg

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to rule 276-1B: If a player from the team defending the goal blocks a point after attempt or creates a turnover and returns the ball past midfield, automatically the foot long hot dog rule goes in to effect. At this point as long as the player returns the ball all the way to the opponents end zone and there is someone in the stands behind the end zone with a foot long hot dog, 1 point is scored. If the hot dog has relish on it, both teams receive a point.

Interesting.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, since I'm bored at work. here is a rulebook: http://www.dfoa.com/attachments/article/69/2013-14_Football_Rule_Book.pdf

In Rule 8.1.1 (page 80 of pdf)
Successful Try:
Touchdown — 2 Points
Field Goal or Safety — 1 Point

Now way down on page 176 there are a lot of examples for Rule 8. In Section 3 article 2 (starts on page 177) there are 9 examples of scoring plays on the "Try Down". your example isn't listed. Thus I would think they would revert back to Rule 8.1.1. a safety occurred on the "Try" thus reward 1 point.

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to Wiki: Safety (gridiron football score) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

yes, it is possible. however, I'd give the probability of it happening at about 0.000000001% chance. Thus thought technically correct, you are aguing something that is pretty much impossible and shoud just stop arguing with people about it.

I'm not really arguing with anyone about it. Just considering all possibilities. Crazy plays do happen. If you were an Auburn fan, you would know this.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really arguing with anyone about it. Just considering all possibilities. Crazy plays do happen. If you were an Auburn fan, you would know this.

Did you seriously just post that? YOu have to be an Auburn fan to understand. What you had 1 play that was not really crazy more like lucky Bama had nobody to cover. And deflection catches happen all the time.

Here is a small list of crazy plays in CFB not associated with Auburn.

1. FSU/CLemson Puntrooskie
2. Calvin Johnson catch his freshman year at GT
3. Trinity College 15 lateral touchdown.
4. Doug FLutie throw
5. Stanford band
6. Statue of Liberty from Boise

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I thoughted dat I knowed errythang.

surprised-gif.gif

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you seriously just post that? YOu have to be an Auburn fan to understand. What you had 1 play that was not really crazy more like lucky Bama had nobody to cover. And deflection catches happen all the time.

Here is a small list of crazy plays in CFB not associated with Auburn.

1. FSU/CLemson Puntrooskie
2. Calvin Johnson catch his freshman year at GT
3. Trinity College 15 lateral touchdown.
4. Doug FLutie throw
5. Stanford band
6. Statue of Liberty from Boise

yeah... because everyone else who read my post totally thought i was saying auburn is the only team to ever have crazy plays happen. i'm sorry if you did not pick up on the tongue-and-cheek remark i was making.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
attached is the rulebook

Attachments

• 2013-14_Football_Rule_Book.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ how does that red part apply to this situation?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
attached is the rulebook

Okay, found it. starting on page 179

RULE 8 Scoring

SECTION 2. Touchdown
How Scored—ARTICLE 1
A
pproved Ruling 8-2-1
I. Ball carrier A1, while attempting to score, strikes the pylon located on the right intersection of the goal line and sideline with his foot. He is carrying the ball in his right arm, which is extended over the sideline. RULING: Whether or not a touchdown is scored depends on the forward progress of the ball as related to the goal line when the ball becomes dead by rule (Rules 4-2-4-d and 5-1-3-a).
II. Ball carrier A1, advancing in the field of play, becomes airborne at the two-yard line. His first contact with the ground is out of bounds three yards beyond the goal line. The ball, in possession of the ball carrier, passed over the pylon. RULING: Touchdown (Rule 4-2-4-d).
III. The ball, in possession of airborne ball carrier A21, crosses the sideline above the one-yard line, continues beyond the pylon and is then declared dead out of bounds in possession of A21. RULING: Ball is declared out of bounds at the one-yard line (Rules 2-12-1 and 4-2-4-d).
IV. Quarterback A12 completes a forward pass to a teammate who is standing in Team B’s end zone. (a) A12 is beyond the neutral zone when he releases the ball. (b) The receiver is wearing uniform number 73. RULING: In (a) and (b) the result of the play is a touchdown. The penalty is completed according to Team B’s options.
V. Ball carrier A22 dives for the goal line at the B-1. The ball in his possession (a) touches the pylon; (b) goes over the top of the pylon; (c) crosses the goal line inside the pylon. A22 then first contacts the ground out of bounds three yards beyond the goal line. RULING: (a), (b) and (c) Touchdown in all three. The ball in A22’s possession has broken the plane of the goal line in all three scenarios.
VI. Ball carrier A22 heads for the right-hand pylon at the goal line. At the B-2 he dives or is blocked into the air by an opponent. The ball in A22’s right hand crosses the sideline at the B-1 and passes outside the pylon, and then A22 (a) touches the pylon with his foot or left hand; (b) first touches the ground out of bounds three yards beyond the goal line. RULING: (a) Touchdown. The goal-line plane is extended since A22 touches the pylon. (b) Not a touchdown. The goal-line plane is not extended because A22 did not touch either the pylon or the ground in the end zone. The ball is ruled out of bounds at the B-1.
Rule 8 / sCORInG 45
VII. Ball carrier A22 heads for the right-hand pylon at the goal line. The ball in his right hand crosses the extension of the goal line outside (i.e., to the right of) the pylon, and then A22 steps (a) on the goal line; (b) on the sideline inches short of the goal line. RULING: (a) Touchdown. The goal-line plane is extended because A22 touches the ground in the end zone. (b) Not a touchdown. The goal-line plane is not extended. The ball is ruled out of bounds at the crossing point.
VIII. Ball carrier A22 heads for the right-hand pylon at the goal line. The ball is in his right hand. His foot hits the pylon just before the ball crosses (a) the pylon or (b) the extension of the goal line just to the right (outside) of the pylon. RULING: (a) and (b) No touchdown in either case. Because the pylon is out of bounds the ball is dead when A22’s foot hits it. Thus in both cases the ball is dead before it crosses the goal line.
IX. Ball carrier A1 is hit and his forward progress stopped inbounds near the goal line at the sideline to his right. When he is stopped he has the ball in his right hand extended beyond the goal line (a) inside the pylon; (b) outside the pylon. RULING: (a) Touchdown. The ball became dead when he extended it beyond the goal-line plane. (b) Not a touchdown, because no part of his body touches either the pylon or the end zone. In this case the goal-line plane is not extended.
X. Ball carrier A33 is running toward the Team B goal line. He drops the ball just inside the one-yard line and, thinking he has scored a touchdown, circles through the end zone and runs to his team area. There is no touchdown signal by any official. The fumbled ball hits the ground just outside or just inside the goal line, rolls along the ground in the end zone, and is declared dead there when it comes to rest and no player attempts to recover it. RULING: Touchdown. The ball belongs to the team last in possession at the dead-ball spot. By definition an awarded fumble in the opponent’s end zone is a touchdown. (Rule 7-2-5)

SECTION 3. Try Down How Scored—ARTICLE 1
Approved Ruling 8-3-1
I. During a try, after having obtained possession, Team B fumbles and Team A recovers in the Team B end zone. RULING: Team B can fumble after intercepting a pass, catching or recovering a fumble or recovering a backward pass. Touchdown. Award Team A two points (Rule 8-3-2-d-1).
II. B19 is the first player beyond the neutral zone to touch Team A’s blocked PAT kick when he muffs the kick in the end zone. A66 recovers in the end zone. RULING: Award Team A two points.
Opportunity to Score—ARTICLE 2
Approved Ruling 8-3-2
I. On a try attempt, B2 adds new impetus to a Team A fumble that is recovered in the Team B end zone by Team B. RULING: Safety, award Team A one point (Rules 8-3-1 and 8-5-1).
II. On a try attempt, B2 kicks a Team A fumble into the Team B end zone where Team B recovers while grounded. RULING: Safety, one point for Team A, or Team A may accept the penalty for illegally kicking the ball (Rules 8-3-1 and 8-3-3-b-1) and repeat the down.

III. On a one-point try attempt, B2 blocks A1’s kick. The ball, which does not cross the neutral zone, is picked up by A2, and he advances the ball across Team B’s goal line. RULING: Award Team A two points (Rule 8-3-1).
IV. On a one-point try attempt, Team A’s kick is blocked. A2 picks up the ball beyond the neutral zone in the field of play. RULING: The ball is dead where picked up by A2. The try is ended.]
V. On a one-point try attempt, Team A’s kick is blocked. The ball, untouched beyond the neutral zone, (a) is recovered by B3 on his one- yard line or (b) hits the ground in Team B’s end zone. RULING: (a) B3 may advance the ball. (b) The ball is dead the try is ended (Rule 8-3-1).
VI. On a one-point try attempt, Team A’s kick is blocked. The ball is recovered by B3 and advanced across Team A’s goal line. During B3’s run, B4 clips. RULING: No score, the try is ended, and the penalty is declined by rule (Rule 8-3-4-b).
VII. On a try attempt, B1 intercepts Team A’s legal forward pass in his end zone. He runs the ball across Team A’s goal line, and (a) there are no fouls during the run, (b) B3 clips during the run or (c) A2 fouls during the run. RULING: (a) Award Team B two points. (b) No score, the try is ended, and the penalty is declined by rule. (c) Award Team B two points, and the penalty is declined by rule (Rules 8-3-1 and 8-3-4-a and b).
VIII. On a try attempt, A1 muffs the hand-to-hand snap from the snapper and it is recovered by A2, who runs it into the oppon ent’s end zone. RULING: Award Team A two points (Rule 2-11-2).
IX. On a one-point try attempt, Team A’s kick is blocked and B75 recovers at the two-yard line. As B75 attempts to advance, he fumbles and the ball rolls into the end zone, where B61 recovers and is downed. RULING: Safety. Award Team A one point (Rule 8-1-1).
On a one-point try attempt, Team A’s kick is blocked and B75 recovers at the two-yard line. As B75 attempts to advance, he fumbles and the ball rolls into the end zone, where B61 recovers and is downed. RULING: Safety. Award Team A one point (Rule 8-1-1).

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not seeing anywhere that Team B gets 1 point.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While such a conversion safety has never been scored by the defense, it is the only possible way in which a team could finish with a single point in an American football game.[24][A]
The italicized verbiage is inaccurate. Since the official score of a forfeited game is 1-0, there is another way a team can score a single point.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not seeing anywhere that Team B gets 1 point.
does no one read my posts?

seriously, I posted the same rule book. I pointed to the same pages. You are reading Examples. Examples don't cover every single possible thing. The refs would need to go back to Rule 8 and make their own interpretation. The rule simple says
Successful Try:
Touchdown — 2 Points
Field Goal or Safety — 1 Point
So, if the football ends up in Team A's endzone and a safety is called, why wouldn't Team B get 1 point?

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if the football ends up in Team A's endzone and a safety is called, why wouldn't Team B get 1 point?
Probably for the same reason that until only very recently the defending team on a try couldn't score two points by getting the ball into the offensive team's endzone. It's possible that the the rule change to allow the two-point play for the defense affects the 1-point safety as well, but it doesn't seem to be clear.