• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting question that NW brought up

Should we take a QB in the Draft

• Absolutely. Day 1 , fist priority

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes. Day 2

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Sure Day 3 or UDFA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hell no. Let's ride it out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Potato salad

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has a new young quarterback come along, set the league on fire in his first year as a starter, but then faded quickly into obscurity? I think it’s because all the defenses learn how to cope with him and his team over the off season, and he can’t adapt to his new-found mediocrity as a sophomore. Geno’s a bit different, as a veteran, but if he finishes the season strong he’ll be a target for discussion over the spring and summer.

So, Seattle needs to draft a quarterback this time around.
If Geno continues to play like this, we wont draft a QB.

Pete has only a few years left before his contract is up and I think he will retire. Drafting a QBotf makes no sense in this timeline.

drafting defense and making a push for a SB over the next two years makes a lot more sense. leave the QB problem to the next guy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has a new young quarterback come along, set the league on fire in his first year as a starter, but then faded quickly into obscurity? I think it’s because all the defenses learn how to cope with him and his team over the off season, and he can’t adapt to his new-found mediocrity as a sophomore. Geno’s a bit different, as a veteran, but if he finishes the season strong he’ll be a target for discussion over the spring and summer.

So, Seattle needs to draft a quarterback this time around.
I think things will be pretty clear well before the draft. It's mirky now because we don't know if Geno Smith is going to keep this up for the whole year or if he does then where he'll be playing next year and for what price, but those will be known probably very early in free agency and certainly well before the draft. If Geno Smith is back in Seattle next year, I think there's no way they use their top pick on a QB. Maybe a middle rounder.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we need to draft a QB. Likely with the first pick, might even have to trade up. It would be the height of foolishness not to draft the QB of the future even if you believe in Geno.
I wouldn’t trade up and give up picks, it’s too dam risky, so many QB’s don’t pan out… We have 2 firsts and 2 seconds, just take one with one of those picks…

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t trade up and give up picks, it’s too dam risky, so many QB’s don’t pan out… We have 2 firsts and 2 seconds, just take one with one of those picks…
I'm thinking how the Chiefs moved up for Mahomes even while they had Alex Smith. Has to be for a QB you believe in, but if there is such a QB I definitely want the Seahawks to move up to get him. No telling this early about QBs, although I've checked out some. I just don't think you can say no way they should move up to grab a QB because it definitely depends.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking how the Chiefs moved up for Mahomes even while they had Alex Smith. Has to be for a QB you believe in, but if there is such a QB I definitely want the Seahawks to move up to get him. No telling this early about QBs, although I've checked out some. I just don't think you can say no way they should move up to grab a QB because it definitely depends.

Yeah, not sure if in this next draft class any guy worth taking that risk… Speaking of Mahomes, John wanted him bad, he seems to have a great eye for talent at the QB spot …

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not sure if in this next draft class any guy worth taking that risk… Speaking of Mahomes, John wanted him bad, he seems to have a great eye for talent at the QB spot …
Seahawks also wanted Josh Allen. They know their stuff when it comes to QBs. If they move up to grab one I'm going to be supporting the move.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Geno is Smart he wont sign an extension this year and he will test FA. He could be one of the most valuable FA in the NFL for 2023 if he continues to play like he has and command more than $30 million. There are QB's out there making almost twice that ( Stafford/Wilson ) and they are playing way worse than Geno, Someone WILL over pay.

Geno isn't stupid and he knows this will be his last contract to cash in on so if I was him I would shoot for the moon.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year there are 2 worthy prospects to even move up for. There are a crap load of guys though that have been successful in college that they could take with one of the second round picks or a Penix in the 3rd or 4th (though that one has complications)

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year there are 2 worthy prospects to even move up for. There are a crap load of guys though that have been successful in college that they could take with one of the second round picks or a Penix in the 3rd or 4th (though that one has complications)

Come on Penix isn't worth a 3rd or fourth, I love the Dawgz but lets be real here. It's not about numbers it's about quality. To be honest i am not happy with any of the top prospects either. No one has stood out which is sad because this class had so much promise.

Geno functions because he is a passer with ability to run, to many times in todays NFL we see teams drafting Runners with the ability to throw. Thats not how it should be and for the most part it hasn't worked. They show spark and promise and ... nothing they never improve and as that running ability leaves they are not helping your team any more in any way.

I would rather have a Josh Allen than a Lamar Jackson. Speaking of Jackson i was watching the Game and Jackson made this weird throw out the back of the endzone and the announcers were like he most of thought he would try to endline it ( The WR ) ... No he just has no touch! when will they understand that Jackson has a strong arm but lacks most other arm talents lol.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Geno is Smart he wont sign an extension this year and he will test FA. He could be one of the most valuable FA in the NFL for 2023 if he continues to play like he has and command more than $30 million. There are QB's out there making almost twice that ( Stafford/Wilson ) and they are playing way worse than Geno, Someone WILL over pay.

Geno isn't stupid and he knows this will be his last contract to cash in on so if I was him I would shoot for the moon.
Yep, if he makes this decision only with his head, he'll keep it rolling for now and then see what the offers look like in March. I am interested to see if the Hawks try to put something in front of him in-season that might be less than potential market value but tempt him with the $ now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're still only halfway, who knows how Geno will perform the 2nd half.... but even if he has a top 5 performance and makes the playoffs, I don't see him commanding more than $25M per year.... it's a 1 year wonder on a team that had great weapons and an offensive coordinator who ran a pretty good Rams offense when they were young.

Outside of a future QB, Seattle has needs at Guard, potentially WR (Lockett retires, Eskridge looks like a bust), DL, ILB, EDGE, and potentially Safety. You could also argue center even though Blythe has started to pick it up.

That said, if you want a QB you've got the ammunition to do it, but I'd prefer Seattle not sacrifice 3 picks (both 1sts and a 2nd) to trade up and go all in on a QB... There's some decent QBs in the 2nd round... I think some will depend on what Waldron does. If Seattle's offense keeps up, I could very much see someone offering Waldron a head coaching job. If he resigns with Seattle, IMO Waldron has a very friendly QB system.

That all said, Schneider reportedly wanted to trade Wilson for Allen (#1 pick from the Browns) and was heavily scouting Mahomes.... so yah.... I think if they find a trade partner and fall in love with a QB early on, they'll pull the trigger.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say yank Alex McGough back here from the USFL if we lose Geno and have him and Lock battle it out with a mid round QB.

You guys remember that kid?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say yank Alex McGough back here from the USFL if we lose Geno and have him and Lock battle it out with a mid round QB.

You guys remember that kid?

I do. Good athlete but seemed to make too many bonehead throws/mistakes.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're still only halfway, who knows how Geno will perform the 2nd half.... but even if he has a top 5 performance and makes the playoffs, I don't see him commanding more than $25M per year.... it's a 1 year wonder on a team that had great weapons and an offensive coordinator who ran a pretty good Rams offense when they were young.

Yeah, we've gone from assuming Geno was going to suck to being surprised that he played well for a stretch of 3 or 4 games to now assuming he's going to finish the year as one of the statistically best 4 or 5 QBs in the league. It's one of the weirdest career arcs I've ever seen -- at least for a season. He had gone 8 straight years w/o being named a week 1 starter, and now his name is being included in mid-season MVP talks.

I don't know why he can't or won't keep it up. The cast around him seems to be coming together, getting stronger, and -- knock on wood -- staying pretty healthy. The OL might be the best we've had since 2014. The TEs are being used way more effectively than in years past, and Geno just seems to be doing what the system is calling for and not trying to be a hero or make superhuman throws/plays. And the defense's 180 turnaround is making things easier on him as well.

I struggle to decide what contract I think he might get next year. If the Hawks believe this is what they can get from him after this season, I have to think they would put something in front of him before he hits the market to try bringing him back at a slight discount or at least before they have to compete with other teams. It would probably be smarter for Geno to test the market, but maybe he also feels some loyalty to the organization that's given him another chance when no one else would. Also, if Geno were to take an extension now then he insulates himself to a degree against a 2nd half slide that might hurt his market value.

Your $25M/yr projection...if that's what he gets just in '23 (and not AAV) on a new deal, in terms of cap hit that would put him at 13th for QBs -- just below Carson Wentz and right above RW. For life of contract AAV, $25M would be tied with Brady for 15th.

Outside of a future QB, Seattle has needs at Guard, potentially WR (Lockett retires, Eskridge looks like a bust), DL, ILB, EDGE, and potentially Safety. You could also argue center even though Blythe has started to pick it up.

That said, if you want a QB you've got the ammunition to do it, but I'd prefer Seattle not sacrifice 3 picks (both 1sts and a 2nd) to trade up and go all in on a QB... There's some decent QBs in the 2nd round... I think some will depend on what Waldron does. If Seattle's offense keeps up, I could very much see someone offering Waldron a head coaching job. If he resigns with Seattle, IMO Waldron has a very friendly QB system.

That all said, Schneider reportedly wanted to trade Wilson for Allen (#1 pick from the Browns) and was heavily scouting Mahomes.... so yah.... I think if they find a trade partner and fall in love with a QB early on, they'll pull the trigger.

The information we don't have right now that we need in order to understand the direction we are taking at QB and in the draft will be known before the team has to use those picks, thankfully. We'll know if Geno is coming back here and at what price, or if he's signing elsewhere. If he's back here on a contract that essentially makes him the starter for the next 2-3 years, we're not taking a QB with a top pick. And it would be foolish to do so. I could see a 3rd or 4th rounder.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. Good athlete but seemed to make too many bonehead throws/mistakes.
why do we need another drew lock?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't. But Drew Lock is also a FA after this season, and I would have to think he's not coming back unless Geno leaves. Even then, he might think it's better to compete somewhere else for a starting job if we spend a valuable pick on a QB.

Reactions: MrS

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we lose Geno which we very well might then we will need to turn over every rock. EVERY rock even the little ones lol.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want the Hawks to go after any of the QB's in the Pac.

Penix has been injured in every season his first 4 years and didn't play in more than 6 games until this year.

He's also not had good games in any of their road games this year. If he can't destroy weak Pac 12 D's on the road, why would anyone believe he can cut it at the NFL level?

I wouldn't go after Nix, DTR, or de laura either.

No thank you.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want the Hawks to go after any of the QB's in the Pac.

Penix has been injured in every season his first 4 years and didn't play in more than 6 games until this year.

He's also not had good games in any of their road games this year. If he can't destroy weak Pac 12 D's on the road, why would anyone believe he can cut it at the NFL level?

I wouldn't go after Nix, DTR, or de laura either.

No thank you.
I'm curious to see how Cameron Ward develops... He's only a sophomore at the young age of 20yrs, so i'm excited to see how he does over the next 2 years... Not saying we should draft him but he is an up and coming QB in the Pac..

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several project guys we could grab later if geno resigns.
If not we may have to reach on a guy like levis. I just dont see trading all our capital for a 5'10 qb.