• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting question that NW brought up

Should we take a QB in the Draft

• Absolutely. Day 1 , fist priority

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes. Day 2

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Sure Day 3 or UDFA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hell no. Let's ride it out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Potato salad

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Non Belivers thread he asked this....

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said before. What if Smith gets figured out next year and then that Magical ride is done?

Take one in the 2nd/3rd

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We definitely need to draft a QB. But it could be a later round pick if Geno keeps playing this way

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we need to draft a QB. Likely with the first pick, might even have to trade up. It would be the height of foolishness not to draft the QB of the future even if you believe in Geno.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with harold, depending on where we are picking. I don't think we throw draft capital at a QB and trade up, but take one that falls or grab one in round three
Extend geno for 2 or 3 years and let the rookie sit.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always, you take the best player left on your board. Don't stretch for a QB, but if they have one they really like at one of their first few picks them take them.

They have a great rookie class that has helped take them were many of us did not think we possible.

Do it again next year. Add pieces all over that make you dangerous.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always, you take the best player left on your board. Don't stretch for a QB, but if they have one they really like at one of their first few picks them take them.

They have a great rookie class that has helped take them were many of us did not think we possible.

Do it again next year. Add pieces all over that make you dangerous.

If they love a QB then I'm fine with doing whatever to get him. Say they love Stroud and he's the consensus top QB. They should make the move to get him. But they have to love him

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they love a QB then I'm fine with doing whatever to get him. Say they love Stroud and he's the consensus top QB. They should make the move to get him. But they have to love him
That’s how I see it also. If they love one above others, then go get him. QB is to important to be cheap or cute with.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not at a point where I'd want them to move up if there are other guys they really like at other positions of need, but of course if they really want a guy they will go get him.

There's a lot they can do with both of those first rounders. I'll be fine if they take a QB. Just not grabbing one at all cost.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not at a point where I'd want them to move up if there are other guys they really like at other positions of need, but of course if they really want a guy they will go get him.

There's a lot they can do with both of those first rounders. I'll be fine if they take a QB. Just not grabbing one at all cost.
I'm thinking about how they supposedly made efforts to get Mahomes

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking about how they supposedly made efforts to get Mahomes
Yup would of been great if they had been able to make that happen. Would of been worth the cost.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we trade up for a QB it means Geno walks.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from what I have seen out of the top QB's in this upcoming draft I say Potato salad!

Day three? sure

I don't think the Hawks will get a chance to resign Geno if he plays the whole season at the level he is at right now. Some team will throw stupid money at him. I say good for him if it happens because he will have earned it.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Geno Smith continues to play like this the whole season, it's not a fluke and there is nothing for teams to "figure out" about him in 2023. This super young team is not going to get worse in the off-season. The supporting cast on offense is stable.

I think there are only 2 scenarios where the Hawks should be tempted to take a QB with their top 2023 draft pick (most likely the one coming from Denver, of course): 1) Geno stays on track, finishes the season among the league's best passers, then gets a huge free agent deal elsewhere, or 2) Geno falls off sharply the rest of the way, and we are left right back to where we thought we were at the start of this season at QB.

To me, the best case scenario is Geno more or less stays on track and we are able to bring him back at a reasonable price for a medium length deal, then use the top pick(s) to continue amassing talent on the lines/defense. PC/JS just got themselves out from underneath a massive QB contract. You take a QB with that top pick, and you're right back in that situation if the player works out the way you hope. If they don't, then you just wasted a coveted top 10 pick. QBs are a huge gamble, and I don't see the point in taking it if you already have a guy who you know works with what you want to do. Be "good enough" at QB with a guy will a high floor and who isn't breaking the bank, and get stronger across the rest of the roster.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter who we take with that top pick they are going to be really expensive if they hit

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter who we take with that top pick they are going to be really expensive if they hit
They are, but we all know franchise QBs get top dollar. And realistically, how long would it take for a QB we pick at the top of the draft to play at a level comparable to what Geno Smith is giving us right now? Year 3? A DB, pass rusher, or space eating DT has a much greater chance to be really good in the 1st or 2nd year, and you play more than 1 of them at a time (you have to sit Geno to get anything at all out of a QB pick). I don't see the rationale on a top QB in '23 at all unless Geno isn't here or falls to earth in a tragic way these next 8 games.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are, but we all know franchise QBs get top dollar. And realistically, how long would it take for a QB we pick at the top of the draft to play at a level comparable to what Geno Smith is giving us right now? Year 3? A DB, pass rusher, or space eating DT has a much greater chance to be really good in the 1st or 2nd year, and you play more than 1 of them at a time (you have to sit Geno to get anything at all out of a QB pick). I don't see the rationale on a top QB in '23 at all unless Geno isn't here or falls to earth in a tragic way these next 8 games.

To be clear, I don't think that we should draft a QB in the 1st round unless something really unexpected occurs. If JS/PC think that there is a Pat Mahomes level player in the draft then they should take him. But that isn't likely.

If Geno keeps playing the way he is right now he is going to get a multiyear 30+ mil a year contract.

LyquidMetal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fist priority? Looking or a qb with a bit of kinkiness in him?

• Haha
Reactions: JMR

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Geno keeps playing the way he is right now he is going to get a multiyear 30+ mil a year contract.
I was trying to come up with what I think he'll make in 2023 if things keep on current glidepath, both as in what it would take Seattle to extend him before he hits free agency and what another team would offer to lure him away if he does hit the market. I didn't get up to $30M. That sounds like a ton, but then I just pulled up 2023 cap numbers for QBs, and that would only put him as the 12th highest, just behind Jared Goff and above Carson Wentz. I would certainly rather have Geno over both of those guys, so maybe that's not all that far off, but at the same time it's hard to imagine that being a backup for so long before this opportunity isn't going to dampen the value a bit. Are teams really going to let this 1 season override the entirety of his career up to this point? I just don't know. Might be one of the biggest storylines of the off-season if he finishes as good as he started. I am also wondering if Russ continues to struggle in Denver right after 10 great years here that it may pull down Geno's value a bit as well, to the extent of teams starting to think Pete does more for the QB than he's been given credit for doing.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has a new young quarterback come along, set the league on fire in his first year as a starter, but then faded quickly into obscurity? I think it’s because all the defenses learn how to cope with him and his team over the off season, and he can’t adapt to his new-found mediocrity as a sophomore. Geno’s a bit different, as a veteran, but if he finishes the season strong he’ll be a target for discussion over the spring and summer.

So, Seattle needs to draft a quarterback this time around.