• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In season Soul 12 Discussion

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you were not in the league that year.

The only person who voted against it was the guy who was able to pick Tevin Coleman up, when Navin forgot to add him to this roster.

I'll say this.

we let quite a bit of stuff go in this league cause it's a fun league that we don't pay for.

In a money league I think we'd have had some more serious challenges.

But that Coleman situation was the weirdest of them all.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank all of you guys, particularly JB, for understanding.

I owe all of you a favor for the next time you make an honest mistake like this

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I think we have a problem.

I was just in touch with Dan, who runs ourlads, and asked him why he changed Samuels' position. He told me that he changed the position in response to a member of this league who wrote him and asked him to.

Using ourlads as a neutral site to determine positions does not work if league members attempt to manipulate it.

I have asked ourlads to review Samuels situation, and I will trust whatever conclusion they come up with.

But can we please agree that specifically writing the site and asking them to change a players' position like that should be off limits from now on?

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i understand the benefit of using ourlads, that they change positions in response to what is happening in the college football season.

but if they aren't a neutral site, and will be swayed by arguments like that, I don't think we can continue to use them.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy College football season to everyone!

Going to the Iowa game today.

Red Snow

Hoopla Cash
$ 769.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else tired of dealing with the Devil in this league? We are nice enough to make an exception for the guy when really we shouldn't and it still isn't good enough. Samuels is a FB, get over it and move on. You can use him as a RB. We have all had players who split out more then 3 times a game and you don't see anyone else whining about it. It seems our league runs smooth and then he suddenly shows up form left field to make things rough again.

It makes me want to change my vote to "no" on making an exception for him.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year I am just going to go with ourlads depth chart if someone is listed at a position twice on the official roster we will go which one he is higher on the depth chart as. Someone can't be listed as a starter twice at two position on a depth chart like Samuels was earlier in the year (now he isn't even listed as TE on the depth chart) and if there is a backup listed twice he won't be worth starting anywhere

That will be an easy rule to follow.

A guy who is listed as two position on an official roster will be eligible at the one he is listed at high on the actual depth chart.

In this case Samuels is listed as a FB on the depth chart and not a TE.

Pretty simple.

I am tired of talking about this and getting 100 texts about it This is free and for fun. Quit making it out for blood.

Let's go.

Whose pumped for some college football cupcake week?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, rough one for SportsGuru- Simmie Cobbs suspension announcement right before kickoff of the Indiana game on Thursday night.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am grateful for the exception the league granted me, and i am not trying to complain about it.

I believe that TE is a more appopriate position for Samuels, so I e-mailed ourlads to find out why they changed him. The fact that they did so because somebody e-mailed them from this league and asked them to change him is very concerning to me.

Was it you, RS? You are the one with a history in this league of e-mailing to get depth charts that you don't like changed.

Regardless of if it was, the fact that players can manipulate the positions that players can play at on that site means its not a good site to use. I'm dropping the issue for this year, but I will be asking to go to a different site for next year.

I'd rather have a site that has position stability and is right 99% of the time than a site that league members can manipulate by e-mailing the site owner.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year I am just going to go with ourlads depth chart if someone is listed at a position twice on the official roster we will go which one he is higher on the depth chart as. Someone can't be listed as a starter twice at two position on a depth chart like Samuels was earlier in the year (now he isn't even listed as TE on the depth chart) and if there is a backup listed twice he won't be worth starting anywhere

That will be an easy rule to follow.

That's a rule change that I believe will require a league vote

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else tired of dealing with the Devil in this league? We are nice enough to make an exception for the guy when really we shouldn't and it still isn't good enough. Samuels is a FB, get over it and move on. You can use him as a RB. We have all had players who split out more then 3 times a game and you don't see anyone else whining about it. It seems our league runs smooth and then he suddenly shows up form left field to make things rough again.

It makes me want to change my vote to "no" on making an exception for him.

and from what i've heard of the Tevin Coleman situation, things didn't exactly run smoothly and without controversy while I was away.

I think you're upset because the league had settled into a situation regarding player positions that you could manipulate by contacting the site owner. Now that the improper manipulation has been found and called out, you're upset at me because because I am the one who discovered your game.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when i was commishing, rule changes between seasons still required a league vote

it just required a simple majority between seasons, a much lower vote requirement than if it was made during the season

has that procedure changed?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perine goes down with shoulder injury. Not sure how bad.

Hawaii D is just brutal.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK then. Wish I'd had that kind of power.

I'm not convinced your solution will solve the problem, and I'm afraid it could create new problems, but we'll set it aside for now - too many tempers, including mine, are too raw right now. We can discuss it during the rules discussion time that we created between the regular season and the bowls

Last edited:

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all of this is academic anyway - for this week at least.

nobody on my team has done anything that will counter JT Barrett's 7 TD game for JonBlaze

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am grateful for the exception the league granted me, and i am not trying to complain about it.

I believe that TE is a more appopriate position for Samuels, so I e-mailed ourlads to find out why they changed him. The fact that they did so because somebody e-mailed them from this league and asked them to change him is very concerning to me.

Was it you, RS? You are the one with a history in this league of e-mailing to get depth charts that you don't like changed.

Regardless of if it was, the fact that players can manipulate the positions that players can play at on that site means its not a good site to use. I'm dropping the issue for this year, but I will be asking to go to a different site for next year.

I'd rather have a site that has position stability and is right 99% of the time than a site that league members can manipulate by e-mailing the site owner.

The thing is they got it right according to NC State, who listed Samuels as its starting FB on their own depth chart.

The reason we went to ourlads is they show the players in the actual position they play (not some theory of what they were considered during the recruiting trail) and update them periodically, and even weekly if warranted.

I'm always open to looking for a better system, but we already saw with RS complaining to a sports information department at an actual school we cant' use those, and some other sites have historically had guys at the wrong positions when they've changed positions (LBs to RBs and DB to WR is a good example).

So without a better option, Ourlads should stay for now IMO.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we are going to stay with ourlads, i think that we NEED to institute a rule that prevents league members from attempting to influence ourlads' decision making

I'd MUCH rather use a site that's only right 99.5% of the time, but is consistent, and non-influenceable, like ESPN, than a site which is so flexible that league members can influence them.

I don't see why everyone is so determined that i should not get to use samuels at the position that...

1) he was listed at during the draft, which everyone had the option to draft him at.
2) he was used at 70% of the time last year.

i understand the appeal of ourlads being flexible enough to change him during the year, if his position changes. and in that circumstance, i'd be willing to go with ourlads' determination - (if it's neutral and not influenced by certain spiteful league members)

But this whole deal of changing him before the season starts because 30% of the time last season he also lined ridiculous. and specifically asking the site we use to change him for that purpose is absurd.

WHY DO ALL OF YOU CARE ABOUT A PLAYER ON MY TEAM SO MUCH?

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the other thing i want to mention is that i e-mailed dan at ourlads just to ask for an explanation.

if his explanation was "our scout went to raleigh and determined that he was being used at FB mostly - if that changes during the year, we'll change it" - i'd never even have mentioned it. i'd have accepted it and moved on.

but the explanation "a member of the league was already in touch with me and argued that Samuels should not be listed at two positions, so we put him at FB only" - is a HUGE problem.

Now, every time there's a position question, we're going to end up dragging Dan into it. which isn't a fair procedure either for him or for us.