• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Importance of a Back-Up QB

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With so many teams this year losing their starting QB to injury, the value of a back-up QB has really entered the nation football conscience.

Ours, Shaun Hill, is one of the better back-up signal callers in the league and is set to be a free agent. If we want to keep him (and I think we definitely should, if the train wreck that is the Packers w/out Rodgers has taught us anything at all) it's going to cost in the neighborhood of $3 to $3.5 million per season based on the going rate of top back-ups in the last couple of seasons.

I know some on here think the $$ would be better spent elsewhere (I'm looking @ you, Dr. Evil), so let's let the discussion ensue.

Here's a story on the topic:
Is Lions' backup QB Shaun Hill's value hitting peak? | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Largely depends

On the team...imo if you're a playoff caliber team, you need a back up QB that can hold down the fort for a few games in the event your starter goes down.

If you're fringe (seemingly always fighting for a WC spot) team, you still need a back up that can play, but probably a younger guy that you are grooming to start eventually.

The salary cap needs to loosen up a bit to allow teams to address that position better.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There won't be many teams in the off season shopping for a starter. Not sure if that will affect the backup market or not. And there will be several former starters hitting the open market, most likely as backups. I know Hill has made ZERO impact on the team so far this season W/L wise. But in my mind, we'd most likely be in the same position if he had been forced to start several games. Having an expierienced guy, who knows his teammates, knows the play book and has gone thru the motions before is worth a little extra coin. Green Bay and Buffalo would be in a better place had they not been forced to add guys mid season or out of someone else's training camp to start at QB.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the team...imo if you're a playoff caliber team, you need a back up QB that can hold down the fort for a few games in the event your starter goes down.

If you're fringe (seemingly always fighting for a WC spot) team, you still need a back up that can play, but probably a younger guy that you are grooming to start eventually.

The salary cap needs to loosen up a bit to allow teams to address that position better.
Good thoughts. You guys had been in a good position for a while with Batch.

I like having a veteran who can step in and keep things afloat for a few games as the back-up, and a "flyer" developmental guy as the 3rd QB...