• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If You Traded Garapolo

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How?

I don't like it, Pats fans don't like it, Brady fans don't like it but the smart thing to do for the team......trade Brady. :gaah:

I like your thinking....
images

but Kraft loves Brady like a son... so it won't happen.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's not "IF" Jimmy Garpolo is traded, it's "WHEN" JG is traded.

Cleveland, Houston and the NY Jets are in dire need of a QB. JG has proven he can win in the NFL and that he may be better than what we've seen. His value will never be higher. Belichick will never franchise him and pay the QB franchise salary for 2019 which may well be $20M. Not for a back up.

A bigger concern is that the Patriots may lose both their OC and DC.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is fresh off CBS.Com....

Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo has started a grand total of two games in his three-year NFL career but if a quarterback-needy team is interested in his services this offseason, the price will be steep.

Appearing on WEEI, ESPN's Adam Schefter says the conversation begins with a first- and fourth-round pick for the former second-rounder, who still has one year left on his rookie deal.

If those numbers sound familiar they should: A first and a fourth is what the Eagles got from the Vikings in the Sam Bradford trade. It's also what the Patriots lost in the silly Deflategate ruling that also saw Tom Brady suspended for the first month of the season.

Either way, that's a steep price for an unproven player.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How?

I don't like it, Pats fans don't like it, Brady fans don't like it but the smart thing to do for the team......trade Brady. :gaah:

Brady looks to me like he has another 3-5 years. The guy continues to play like he's 25 and found the Fountain of Youth. He'll eclipse every major NFL QB record by the time he's done. I wouldn't trade him if I was the Patriots brass. He needs to finish his career where he started and cement his legacy as GOAT but what do I know. I'm just a humble Broncos fan whose team missed the playoffs this year. Sigh.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look for the Bears to offer an early 2nd rd pick for Jimmy...that is about the best you can expect..

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we sit on him for a 1st. Somebody will give it up.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS SPORTS 4:00 PM 1/22/2017

The Patriots have a history of drafting a quarterback to play behind Tom Brady only to later trade him to a quarterback-needy team. This is what happens when Brady, now 39, shows no signs of slowing down.

Back in March 2009, New England sent Matt Cassel, who had started 15 games the season before and led helped the Pats to an 11-5 record, to Kansas City (along with linebacker Mike Vrabel) for a second-round pick. The Patriots parlayed the selection into safety Patrick Chung, who is still with the team. Meanwhile, Cassel never evolved into the franchise passer the Chiefs had hoped, and by 2013 he was playing in Minnesota. In the five seasons since, Cassel has played for three other clubs.

We mention all this because Brady's current backup is Jimmy Garoppolo, He started the first two games of the 2016 season, while Brady served his Deflategate suspension, and led the Pats to two wins. In those games, Garoppolo completed 42 of 59 attempts (71 percent) for 469 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions. And with just one game remaining in the 2016 season after Sunday, the "Pats are willing to trade Garoppolo" rumors have ramped up.

Here's what NFL.com's Ian Rapoport said Sunday on "NFL GameDay Morning":

"The Patriots are open to trading Jimmy Garoppolo and they are going to listen to all offers, as they have over the last couple years for Garoppolo -- and they have gotten a couple inquiries," Rapoport said. "But from what I am being told there are several complicating factors: First of all, the price tag, expected to be at least a first-round pick -- just based off the quarterback market. Will anyone give them that? Second of all, are the Patriots really comfortable going forward with [third-string QB]Jacoby Brissett as their backup quarterback in case Tom Brady gets hurt? That might be the biggest question of all."

This isn't the first time we've heard the Pats might put Garoppolo on the trade block. In December, former Browns executive Mike Lombardi -- who worked with Bill Belichick in Cleveland back in the mid-1990s and was an assistant in New England from 2014-2016 -- said this:

"The next quarterback that'll be the Cleveland Browns' quarterback perhaps is Jimmy Garoppolo in New England," Lombardi said during a television appearance at the time. "I think Cleveland understands, Hue Jackson specifically understands he needs a quarterback. I think they'll be very aggressive. I think Jimmy Garoppolo's on top of their list, and I think they'll go hard after him.

"I think the Patriots will decide whether [to trade Garoppolo] based on the deal they're offered and Cleveland has enough assets to entice them."

The Browns have two first-round picks -- the first overall and No. 12, thanks to the Eagles -- but it's hard to imagine that they'd be willing to part with either of them for Garoppolo, mostly because Cleveland has so many needs up and down the roster.

NFLDraftScout.com's Rob Rang and Dane Brugler, in their most recent mock drafts for CBSSports.com, both have the Browns taking Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett with that first selection and Florida cornerback Tez Tabor 11 picks later.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to pick up my wife at her work today. Was listening intently to a huge discussion on WEEI., Dale and Holley with Keith. Rumor has it that the Cleveland Browns have been talking with the Patriots about acquiring Jimmy Garapollo. The radio guys were saying that right now the #12 pick in the first round of the 2017 draft is on the table.

They seem to think it's a good deal but they also think that Belichick will try to get a fourth or fifth round pick also.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From CBS Sports today:

The Chicago Bears will make a strong, concerted effort to acquire quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The Illinois native is far and away their top offseason priority.

Many teams view Garoppolo as the best option of all potential free-agent or trade targets, and the Bears will have competition. Teams like the Browns, Jets and 49ers could provide opposition, but the Bears' intent and willingness to complete a trade could not be more serious. Quarterback is an acute need -- the Bears are moving on from Jay Cutler -- and jobs are on the line there after two poor seasons from the John Fox and Ryan Pace regime. The Bears have abundant draft picks they could trade -- including picks in the top three of each round -- and while rival executives do not believe the Patriots will land a first-round pick that high via trade, a package including multiple high second-round picks is quite possible. Furthermore, trading Garoppolo out of the AFC would appeal to the Patriots, who expect him to prosper elsewhere.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From CBS Sports today:

The Chicago Bears will make a strong, concerted effort to acquire quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The Illinois native is far and away their top offseason priority.

Many teams view Garoppolo as the best option of all potential free-agent or trade targets, and the Bears will have competition. Teams like the Browns, Jets and 49ers could provide opposition, but the Bears' intent and willingness to complete a trade could not be more serious. Quarterback is an acute need -- the Bears are moving on from Jay Cutler -- and jobs are on the line there after two poor seasons from the John Fox and Ryan Pace regime. The Bears have abundant draft picks they could trade -- including picks in the top three of each round -- and while rival executives do not believe the Patriots will land a first-round pick that high via trade, a package including multiple high second-round picks is quite possible. Furthermore, trading Garoppolo out of the AFC would appeal to the Patriots, who expect him to prosper elsewhere.

Let The Battle Begin! Let the best picks win!! :thumb:

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can get Multiple 2nd rd picks for Jimmy, then I am cool with that. To walk away with 3 picks (including your own) in the 2nd would be awesome. Can fill a ton of needs there.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pot just got a lot sweeter with Chicago announcing their interest. Bring on the picks. If the Pats win the SB I can't wait for the haters to start screaming the rich getting richer.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can get Multiple 2nd rd picks for Jimmy, then I am cool with that. To walk away with 3 picks (including your own) in the 2nd would be awesome. Can fill a ton of needs there.

The pot just got a lot sweeter with Chicago announcing their interest. Bring on the picks. If the Pats win the SB I can't wait for the haters to start screaming the rich getting richer.

Here are the Browns and Bears 2017 draft positions.

Browns
First round: First pick.

First round: 12th pick.

Second round: First pick, 33 overall.

Second round: 20th pick, 52 overall (via trade with Titans in 2016).

Third round: First pick, 65 overall.

Fourth round: No pick (traded to Eagles in 2016).

Fifth round: First pick, 128 overall.

Fifth round: 31st pick, 158 overall (via trade with Patriots in 2016).

Sixth round: First pick, 159 overall.

Seventh round: No pick (traded to 49ers in 2015).

Bears
First round: Third pick overall.

Second round: Fourth pick, 36 overall.

Third round: Third pick, 67 overall.

Fourth round: Fourth pick, 100 overall.

Fifth round: Third pick, 130 overall.

Sixth round: Fourth pick, 162 overall (may transfer to Texans).

Seventh round: Third pick, 192 overall.

I'd want the Browns #12 pick, #33, #65 and a 1st or 2nd in 2018. The Browns have two picks in the second and forth round of the 2018 draft.

Does anyone think it's possible to trade out of the 3rd pick from the Bears? Is there anyone worth drafting that high and for that amount of money?
Starting this draft, teams can trade compensatory picks. :yes:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the Browns and Bears 2017 draft posLongitions.

Browns
First round: First pick.

First round: 12th pick.

Second round: First pick, 33 overall.

Second round: 20th pick, 52 overall (via trade with Titans in 2016).

Third round: First pick, 65 overall.

Fourth round: No pick (traded to Eagles in 2016).

Fifth round: First pick, 128 overall.

Fifth round: 31st pick, 158 overall (via trade with Patriots in 2016).

Sixth round: First pick, 159 overall.

Seventh round: No pick (traded to 49ers in 2015).

Bears
First round: Third pick overall.

Second round: Fourth pick, 36 overall.

Third round: Third pick, 67 overall.

Fourth round: Fourth pick, 100 overall.

Fifth round: Third pick, 130 overall.

Sixth round: Fourth pick, 162 overall (may transfer to Texans).

Seventh round: Third pick, 192 overall.

I'd want the Browns #12 pick, #33, #65 and a 1st or 2nd in 2018. The Browns have two picks in the second and forth round of the 2018 draft.

Does anyone think it's possible to trade out of the 3rd pick from the Bears? Is there anyone worth drafting that high and for that amount of money?
Starting this draft, teams can trade compensatory picks. :yes:
I hope BB fleece's someone this time. It always appears he gets the short end of the deal. Well until they get the players into the Patriot system.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that BB will want the Brown's #12 and both 5th rounders. He'll settle for the #12 and #128.

If the Bears do come as hard as the article says they are, then the Browns just might up the ante to the #1 and the #52. If that happened, you BB would trade that #1 for at least 1 pick in 2017 and 2 picks in 2018.
Most likely swap first round picks with a team and a 3rd and 4th next year. And he'll trade that 1st round pick for a 2nd and 4th this year and a 2nd next year. Overall trading JG will net the Patriots 9 draft picks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears fan here. JG will decide where he wants to be traded. He grew up a Bears fan. No one wants to go to the Browns. The Bears/Browns/SF/Hou all have the same demands. They will not give picks without a long term deal being reached at trade time. So JG can void Clv by saying he wont sign long term with them. No one will give picks for a one year rental. I expect Jimmy to be a Bear next year. I don't want him but i don't get a say. It seems none of you realize that JG has a large say in this trade.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears fan here. JG will decide where he wants to be traded. He grew up a Bears fan. No one wants to go to the Browns. The Bears/Browns/SF/Hou all have the same demands. They will not give picks without a long term deal being reached at trade time. So JG can void Clv by saying he wont sign long term with them. No one will give picks for a one year rental. I expect Jimmy to be a Bear next year. I don't want him but i don't get a say. It seems none of you realize that JG has a large say in this trade.

Why don't you want him?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. NFL is not the NBA. NFL does not allow players to dictate conditions of any trade. That's why they have free agency. The way the NFL works is that a player like JG gets traded and is making about $600K. The Bears offer him an extension at 5 years for a total of $50M. He gets a $30M guarantee and $15M is an immediate bonus. Basically he's playing 6 years for $50.6 buts gets $15.6 his first year and $7M for the next 5. If he doesn't take the deal and gets hurt playing for a team he loses everything.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw picks. If the Patriots trade JG they should get the best center and left tackle on any team that makes the deal.