• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Raiders and Chargers Share L.A. Stadium One Would Change Conferences

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Raiders and Chargers end up sharing a stadium in Carson, California, they likely won't be sharing a division anymore.

Former NFL executive Carmen Policy, who was hired by the two teams to oversee the stadium project, said on Monday that both the Chargers and Raiders would be willing to switch divisions if the NFL lets the two teams move to LA.

According to Policy, the two teams have basically told the NFL, "you send us to LA and you'll make the decision as to who plays in what conference or division."

The current thinking is that the Raiders would be the most likely of the two to leave for the NFC West. The question then becomes which of the NFC West teams would move to the AFC West.

Early rumor/expectation is that the Rams or Cardinals would change conferences, with the Seahawks and 49ers staying put.

Of course, this all hinges on the Chargers-Raiders alliance securing the ability to move to Carson over the Rams, who apparently want to move to Inglewood.

if this does happen we could see this possibly??....

AFC West---San Diego,Denver,Kansas City,Arizona

NFC West--Seattle,San Francisco,St. Louis,Oakland

Raiders, Chargers willing to leave AFC West if co-tenants in Los Angeles - CBSSports.com

If Chargers and Raiders share stadium, one would likely move to NFC | ProFootballTalk

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals won't be switching divisions or conferences after doing so not too long ago. They switched from the NFCE to the NFCW in 2002. Switching them again would be a disservice to the team & their fans. It's hard to build divisional rivalries that way.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland would be the one switching out of the west with their ownership situation. They have problems with any big signing bonus.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,054.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals won't be switching divisions or conferences after doing so not too long ago. They switched from the NFCE to the NFCW in 2002. Switching them again would be a disservice to the team & their fans. It's hard to build divisional rivalries that way.
The Cardinals don't have a rivalry worth remembering or keeping at any point in their history

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as its not Seattle moving again. We moved the last time the league realigned. Someone elses turn....

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt San Diego is moving. The Rams owner seems determined to move to LA. And who knows wtf the the Raiders are doing.

If I had a guess, it will be the Rams & Raiders on the move, thus making any teams needing to switch conferences, moot.

But if we did need a team to switch, I would vote for the Niners. The Cardinals & Seahawks have switched recently.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It better not be the Raiders. They're OUR team to hate.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess the Rams would switch conferences.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It better not be the Raiders. They're OUR team to hate.
Raiders/Broncos and Raiders chiefs rivalries may not be worth losing. But the Raiders /49ers rivalry would heat up and they could pick something up with Seattle with their history in the old AFC west. The closest thing i can think of to any chargers rivalries are a few years of failing vs the pats in the playoffs

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if this does happen we could see this possibly??....

AFC West---San Diego,Denver,Kansas City,Arizona

NFC West--Seattle,San Francisco,St. Louis,Oakland

Well - hate to nitpit, but if they realign I assume that both would still not be in San Diego & Oakland. Anyhow - these teams are nuts if the overall idea is to have 3 teams in that area. I lived there for 20 years (when there were both 2 teams & 0 teams) & it just is not a huge NFL town & there are tons of transplants who will never view these teams as their primary team. Of course a winning team will generally do well, but that won't happen every year especially with those three teams.

The idea of both the Chargers & Raiders moving to LA & one of them subsequently moving to the NFC is just sad for many reasons. The primary one being that it will be the end of so many traditional rivalries.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well - hate to nitpit, but if they realign I assume that both would still not be in San Diego & Oakland. Anyhow - these teams are nuts if the overall idea is to have 3 teams in that area. I lived there for 20 years (when there were both 2 teams & 0 teams) & it just is not a huge NFL town & there are tons of transplants who will never view these teams as their primary team. Of course a winning team will generally do well, but that won't happen every year especially with those three teams.

The idea of both the Chargers & Raiders moving to LA & one of them subsequently moving to the NFC is just sad for many reasons. The primary one being that it will be the end of so many traditional rivalries.

It all depends who changes conferences of whether it would destroy the traditional rivalries. Such as I doubt any of the other AFC West teams would say that San Diego is their biggest rival or that they even care as much about that compared to the other two teams. San Diego has been just the bottom dweller of the division for so long that it just doesn't get the same hype. Throw in they have the least devoted of the fans compared to the other 3 teams in the division.

As for the NFC West Seattle is the newest in that division and honestly still has heated rivalries from the AFC West if they were to move back. St. Louis is a team I could see switching and it wouldn't upset the balance a whole lot. Arizona just over the last couple of years started being good on a semi-regular basis so again not sure how strong the rivalries are in the NFC West as so many have moved around.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would two teams even want to share a stadium, what is this the MLS

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would two teams even want to share a stadium, what is this the MLS

Money. I mean you have two franchises splitting the costs of operating costs. So saves you a nice chunk.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If STL does move, there won't be a need for a team to switch conference. If STL doesn't move, they won't switch conferences, putting both KC & STL in the same division.